Predict next generation console names.

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
This is a name calling thread... for the new consoles.

So let´s assume we are all wrong and there will be no console called Xbox 720 or Playstation 4

What will they call them then?

My guess:

Xbox 1080
because 720 vs 1080 ... 1080 is more like the resolution that will be used

and

Playstation Luck

They called next psp Vita... so vitality and what...
4 is unlucky number in japan. So I bet they want to have opposite of that.
Either way, I bet there will be a word instead of a number. And it sounds kind of Japanese idea, Playstation Luck, doesn´t it?

playstation 4 is most likely to follow playstation one, 2 and then 3.

xbox could be anything though, all we have to go on is xbox-xbox360, so it could be 3, 720, 1080 like you mentioned.

im going to go with xbox NT.

I think the next consoles will be:

Xbox 360 U

&

Playstation 3 U (and once again Sony will be accused of copying Nintendo ;-))

:LOL:lol

More seriously i reckon Xbox Infinity and PS Prime.

I always thought just "Xbox Live".

If Sony doesn't call it the Playstation 4 I would very surprised.

Tommy McClain

I always thought just "Xbox Live".

If Sony doesn't call it the Playstation 4 I would very surprised.

Tommy McClain

Xbox Live would be pretty good actually :) But then some might call it the "Xbox Live Box" :oops:

X² might be seen as "X2" or "XBox 2" by the uneducated consumer. So i don't think that would work.

I think it's be XBox 1080 to be honest, or something terrible like "XBox Kinect" so as to push their more casual friendly image.

I really do like "Playstation Prime", despite the obvious abbreviation ("PSP") lol

MS: Xbox 3 or Xbox Arc
Sony: PlayStation 4 in US/EU and simply PlayStation (on the new PlayStation) in Japan (since 4 sounds like "death" in Japanese, which is unfortunate)

Tribox Deltrix+
Playstation Quantum Shizwizzle Fusion

Both powered by millicore quantum computers running Euclideon's Unlimited Detail engine at 120fps capable of simulating all atoms of Earth, three 76km radius ice moons and Jupiter in real time

Tribox Deltrix+
Playstation Quantum Shizwizzle Fusion

Both powered by millicore quantum computers running Euclideon's Unlimited Detail engine at 120fps capable of simulating all atoms of Earth, three 76km radius ice moons and Jupiter in real time

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

That actually cracked me up more than it should have.

I'm sure Microsoft will want to maintain the Xbox brand name, since it seems well established and popular. So, I believe it will be something with Xbox in the name, perhaps Xbox 720, Xbox Loop, something along those lines if maybe not those specific second words.

Sony is more interesting, I could be way off base here, you can probably make an argument the brand of "Playstation" has taken enough dings maybe they'd want to move away from it. Like the "Vita", which may be called the PS Vita, where the Playstation part isn't really accentuated. Although, ther PSP didn't stress playstation either, and it was introduced when the PS brand was still strong so maybe I'm off base with the reasons for Vita's naming. So basically all that to say I could see Sony doing something more crazy, such as not the "Playstation 4" but the "PS Infinity" or whatever.

Sony will never abandon the "Playstation" moniker. To do so would be foolish beyond comprehension.

The next one will be Playstation <something>.

Same with Xbox.

Would 4 being some "unlucky number" in Japan really be enough not to use it for PS4?
I don't know what meaning 4 has in Japanese culture.
It would be interesting if someone native japanese could shed some light on the meanings of 4, and how much they usually affect the use of 4 in Japan?

I mean, even if 4 sounds the same as "death" in japanese, do people really associate 4 with death.
In my language (finnish), for example, number 6 is written and pronounced the same as fir (the tree), but I really don't think people think of a fir when they hear or see number 6.
Another example, in swedish number 6 is the same as sex... does that mean swedes think of sex more than average... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back