The hugely scientific B3D hardware failure poll 2011 edition

How many consoles have you got through?

• Total voters

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Time to revisit this and see how many consoles we're getting through. I have limited options so this isn't going to compare different models or slims or such; just an overview of how many consoles you've had die (or not). Vote for all applicable options, although obviously there'll only be one vote per console type.

I'm on my 3rd 360. Launch unit RRODed withing the extended warranty (2½ years old), bought a 120GB elite while waiting for the launch unit to return. Gave the old one away.

Thought the eilte got hot and loud, took it apart to clean it (breaking seals, voiding warranty), 6 days later elite unit dies (might be my fault for mucking about with it). Incidentally the 250GB Slim had just launched, so bought that.

My brother's 360 launch unit RRODed within extended warranty too. It got fixed and is still running with the 120GB HDD from my dead elite in it (it's loud though).

Cheers

I've had one launch X360 die that was sent in for warranty repair and then died again. I counted it as one since it was the same model number. My 80GB MGS4 PS3 is still running although in fairness it gets used sparingly compared to the X360.

I currently have an X360 slim and the MGS4 PS3.

I had a X360 60GB Pro that I gave to a family member and it's still working. My 250GB X360 S which I purchase about 1 year ago is still working.

I had one PS3 Fat die, I have one working Slim and one working 360.

I wonder if the poll should have had PS3 fat and slim separated

There are a shitload of old fat PS3's dying. The repair shot that fixed it for me had a ton of those there

I wonder if the poll should have had PS3 fat and slim separated
Yeah, but it's not really suitable for that sort of detail. Otherwise you'd need age of console and model numbers to work out what dies and what doesn't. This is more a recap of what hardware we've gone through this gen so far, rather than an attempt to identify which models are prone to failure and which aren't. In fact slim's couldn't be fairly considered until the same number of years have passed - they might be working now but might die in another year.

My Dreamcast makes some odd noises from time to time but still works.

I sold my launch 360 before anything happened to it, bought the first Elite that came out and it broke, it was fixed within warranty. I traded the Elite for the new Slim that is working fine.

I had a 40GB PS3 fat, traded it in for the Slim. I only voted for "I had one 360 die" and not "my PS3 keeps working", because of the swap.

I also have a busted up dreamcast.

Last edited by a moderator:
My launch PS3 is still working fine thankfully. The only problem is crashing on the webbrowser, which is probably a software problem.

Have had 2 RROD 360s, but weirdly the second one actually still works eventually if i turn it off and on 20 times or so, its been like that for about a 1.5 years and still going tho depending on the game it will still crash out regularly. I have a 3rd RROD machine at home i am going to try the xclamp fix on but that was given to me in that state by a friend.

Still on my day 1 UK ps3, the ones with BC but the cpu emulated, or something like that. Im expecting it to fail at some point but i havent had any signs like loud fan noise or any random crashing so fingers crossed.

Zephyr unit (HDMI + added heatpipe/heatsink contraption) from end of 2007 died sometime in middle of 2009. It fell under the 3 year warranty, and I got it replaced fairly quickly (two weeks). Got a falcon unit out of it, which still works, or at least until I traded it in sometime this summer (2011) and bought a 4GB slim + kinect, which I sold to a buddy of mine sans kinect. I actually ended up buying a 360 Slim 250GB at the end of 2010, which is now my only unit.

Can't say I'm surprised about the Zephyr unit conking out. I must have put in near two thousand hours between Gears, Halo 3, Bioshock, the Guitar Hero & Rock Band series, Dead Space, and Mass Effect (about 200 hours alone with several characters). It was just a matter of time with all that drive spinning and heat, especially with some days just playing 12 hours straight. I only played DOAX2 for about 10 hours. :3

I'm on my 3rd 360, but none of them have died. First one(a 20gb Pro) bought Holiday 2006. The DVD quit reading discs in Fall 2008. I sent it in Thanksgiving for a replacement under an extended warranty. But it never once got a RROD. I kept the replacement until April 2009 when I decided to sell it so I could buy a 120gb Elite. I've had the Elite ever since & I haven't had a RROD or DVD problems. Though my power supply brick has been making some God awful noises lately.

BTW, my son bought himself an Arcade on Christmas 2009 & although he hasn't had a RROD, he's starting to get some DVD read errors.

Tommy McClain

I'd count non-RRODs or YLODs as 'deaths' if they prevent you using the console. So drive errors or network errors or whatnot I'd count as a 'dead' console.

I'm surprised so far at PS3's ratio of working to dead. Either me and my mates are just unlucky, or maybe there was a bad batch we got scuppered by? Regional breakdowns would be worth investigating, although that'd really want a lot consumer survey and decent usage and operation stats which would be hard to come by. How many XB360 models are there? PS3 has loads, and I wonder if that matters in overall reliability?

The only PS3 I have had is the Slim, but even then I don't put nearly the same amount of hours into it (not counting blu ray movies). Practically all my multiplatform gaming is on 360 or PC, so that just leaves the exclusives, for which I only play once or twice all the way through.

I had one RROD 360, and another that just bricked. I've had 3 PS3 failures, all BR drive related (all PS3 fat).

I'd count non-RRODs or YLODs as 'deaths' if they prevent you using the console. So drive errors or network errors or whatnot I'd count as a 'dead' console.

You may count DVD errors as deaths, but I don't. It's still usable.

Tommy McClain

Back