skyward sword could've been done with a standard controller

it's all wiimotion plus. so you tilt up to swim upward, tilt down to swim downward, hold it level to swim forward, etc. but because it's all gyro, it's not responsive enough for precision turning. it makes swimming underwater, which is one of my favorite things about twilight princess, a chore. it would make more sense to leave it to the analog stick while giving the player some limited wiimote camera control that could also influence direction.

Having finished Skyward Sword, while it's not perfect, I don't think something like this could've been done with standard controls. Here are a couple of reasons:

-The game requires your mastery of specific swinging. This is most apparent with the first boss, and other subsequent bosses onward, particularly the before final and final bosses.
-The select wheel is much quicker than in TP.
-Throwing bombs is now much quicker than any of the previous games, and thisaspect is played upon.
-The beetle actually feels great with motion plus.
-Swimming is actually smooth once you realize underwater walls do not have friction and that you do not need to precisely aim your angle of accent to exit the water.
-Nunchuck for shield works great in this game, and involuntary thrust movements from it can be a blessing or a detrement depending on how well you control your body movement.

The only part I would say it doesn't work is tightropes, which they designed so you have to sonstantly readjust Link's balance.

finishing the game had me reconsider my first impressions. the swordplay is satisfying like nothing i've experienced coming into the end. whatever skyward sword's inherent flaws - archaic introductory handholding, too much filler, controls - when it's good, it's fucking transcendent.

so, no, swordplay wouldn't be quite the same bound to the right analog stick, but it could be done and i think nearly as well.

-Swimming is actually smooth once you realize underwater walls do not have friction and that you do not need to precisely aim your angle of accent to exit the water.

So éxit works, but èxit works too? :p

finishing the game had me reconsider my first impressions. the swordplay is satisfying like nothing i've experienced coming into the end. whatever skyward sword's inherent flaws - archaic introductory handholding, too much filler, controls - when it's good, it's fucking transcendent.

so, no, swordplay wouldn't be quite the same bound to the right analog stick, but it could be done and i think nearly as well.
Have you any sixaxis experience to xompare your ideas to? It sounds like there are parallels with Warhawk and Lair. Warhawk worked very well IMO, whereas there have been a lot of complaints about Lair. I wonder if the swimming mechanic in skyward Sword is trying to capture a feel of swimming being inexact itself? I haven't played Skyward Sword so don't know, but I'm reminded of Lair in your complaints.

Come on, you need to give us some concrete highlights. :devilish:

the only sixaxis experience i have outside a brief warhawk session is from flower. with that in mind, it's not for me. sixaxis is way too floaty and imprecise to ever make a good alternative to joystick flight. it'd probably work well for banking adjustments, however, which might make it more suited for helicopter control.

for wiimotion plus highlights in skyward sword, i'd say the moment everything clicked for me happened during
the sand ship's miniboss. you come out to the bow of the ship to face the captain. he traps you there as the bow becomes a makeshift plank for a put up or shut up one on one encounter. it's that harmony of gameplay and aesthetic that won me over, especially since it forces you to really think as a swordsman - which is a first for a zelda and maybe gaming as a whole. the game and the bosses only get better from there.

Did you guys play the game with the add-on or the built-in motion plus?

Most of the complaints seem to come from people using the add-on...I don't feel like buying a Wiimote plus just for one game

Fixed the spoiler tag, makes the thing clearer.

Zelda is a game I want to play when I get a Wii U, which will be sold with Wiimote+.
Didn't hear of that previously, that's interesting, could explain why some people complained while other found it great...
(Could also simply be different taste.)

i play using Wii Remote standard with motion plus attachment and the game seems work normally.
but the calibration seems quickly become bad if the remote cant see the IR.

also tried using the emulated motion plus. Basically it make Skyward sword playable with KB+M and its good too.

People, please use capital letters in the beginning of each sentence. My head hurts from reading this topic :(

Heh heh heh, I have long ignored grammar on the net. Train your brain up and adapt ! :devilish:

Someone do a "Skyward Sword" vs "Sorcery" concept comparison please. I have a hunch it should illustrate the differences between good and bad game + art design nicely.

[size=-2]Best if a Sony staff does the comparison honestly.[/size]

Back