Halo 4

And also people who are playing COD don't have time to lost on stupid internet poll.
All the internet poll and feedback are biased, so don't expect have a real picture with the internet. ;)

The more I play Halo 4, the more I appreciate the visuals of previous Halo games, especially Halo 3.

Halo 3 Jungle (Sierra 117) > Halo 4 jungle
Halo 3 Desert (The Ark) > Halo 4 desert
Halo 3 snow/ice > Halo 4 Snow Ice

Honestly, If Halo 3 had better character models and AA, I'd prefer the overall look of the game.

I kind of see what you mean. Campaign photo mode shots of 4 wouldn't come out as well as they did in Halo 3, with its more detailed backgrounds and HDR.

And also people who are playing COD don't have time to lost on stupid internet poll.
All the internet poll and feedback are biased, so don't expect have a real picture with the internet. ;)
Yep. The Halo 4 MP player population was basically cut in half when BLOP2 released.

Er, why is COD's gameplay that much better? In my experience it has forced vehicle and other on-rails sections, floods of very stupid enemies, pretty low actual weapon variety, and very tightly scripted scenarios whit only one way to get through.

Yeah it's usually louder and more intensive compared to Halo, but that doesn't mean better gameplay.

For MP shooter fans, the gun play is perfect. 60 FPS + fast paced + perk system + high damage model + great gun play = win.

That said, I prefer Halo's MP but I can totally understand why COD is more popular.

In my experience it has forced vehicle and other on-rails sections, floods of very stupid enemies, pretty low actual weapon variety, and very tightly scripted scenarios whit only one way to get through.

What you're describing could also fit to Halo 4 gameplay.

Er, why is COD's gameplay that much better? In my experience it has forced vehicle and other on-rails sections, floods of very stupid enemies, pretty low actual weapon variety, and very tightly scripted scenarios whit only one way to get through.

Yeah it's usually louder and more intensive compared to Halo, but that doesn't mean better gameplay.

Like NRP said is the MP who bring all the glory for COD, most people don't really care of the campaign, if it's a short intense action so is more than enough for most.
COD MP is probably the more better MP for all type of gamers, simple.

And for the IGN poll, don't forget the power of those who can't playing Halo 4. ;)

@NRP: The more sad effect of the split of Halo 4 MP population, it's that in same time the quality of the network highly decreased here in France… Have you got the same thing?

What you're describing could also fit to Halo 4 gameplay.

You can almost always chose to go on foot or have multiple vehicle choices, or can hijack enemy vehicles even where you're not supposed to. The enemies are still more intelligent in H4 compared to COD and require more elaborate tactics to deal with other than point and shoot. The weapons are wildly different and each has its purpose, but there aren't really any situations in the game where you're forced to use a certain kind of weapon to deal with a problem. Most scenarios play out completely differently on each playthrough.

So no, what I described doesn't fit Halo gameplay at all.

I suppose multiplayer might feel better for hardcore players though, I'm not really excited about that. But the single player? COD's features are definitely inferior, but they can always manage to build a tight, though linear, single player experience from what they have.

MP gameplay in Halo 4 and COD are fairly different...so direct comparison is difficult. In Halo you have jetpacks, active camo, boost, light shields etc. so there's definitely more variety. In COD it's just another realistic military FPS...which is limited to non-superhuman abilities and weapons. Personally I prefer the more varied options in Halo style MP games than realistic military MP style games like COD BF3...but they're both fun as long as you accept their differences.

MP gameplay in Halo 4 and COD are fairly different...so direct comparison is difficult. In Halo you have jetpacks, active camo, boost, light shields etc. so there's definitely more variety. In COD it's just another realistic military FPS...which is limited to non-superhuman abilities and weapons. Personally I prefer the more varied options in Halo style MP games than realistic military MP style games like COD BF3...but they're both fun as long as you accept their differences.

You have perks in COD and pick 10.
As a long time COD and Halo player I feel that Halo 4's MP isn't as good as Halo 3 or Halo Reach. Also Treyarch changed a lot of things with BO2. I'd also like to stress that COD is not "just another" military shooter, it's COD...simple as that. Like it or not, there still isn't any other shooter out there that plays like COD, evethough a lot of them try to copy it.

By the way I don't really like BF3, I think it's inferior to BFBC2 much less even compare it to BF2 or BF2142 [they need to make BF2143 !!]

You can almost always chose to go on foot or have multiple vehicle choices, or can hijack enemy vehicles even where you're not supposed to. The enemies are still more intelligent in H4 compared to COD and require more elaborate tactics to deal with other than point and shoot. The weapons are wildly different and each has its purpose, but there aren't really any situations in the game where you're forced to use a certain kind of weapon to deal with a problem. Most scenarios play out completely differently on each playthrough.

So no, what I described doesn't fit Halo gameplay at all.

There are multiple places in Halo 4 where the enemy vehicle you just hijacked disappears out from under you while you're driving it, so no it doesn't truly fit in the current title. There's also artificial choke-points that force you to abandon any vehicle you're using. That might be more fitting for previous Halo titles, but it's definitely less fitting in Halo 4. This is where the tradeoffs 343 made make the gameplay feel less like the historical Halo titles.

For weapon variety, you basically have a few main types - precision weapons, automatic weapons, explosive damage weapons, shotguns, melee weapons, and grenades. Sure there's subtle nuances in there, but not really a wide variety.

Though I do get what you mean where in other bro-shooters you're forced to use rocket/javelin/bazooka to advance.

The trade offs are there, but it's still very very different from COD where it's all completely predetermined - you have to sit in this vehicle now, you have to exit it now, you have to use this weapon on this enemy and so on. Then there are the continuous respawns, and the lack of enemies with recharging shields or free moving enemy vehicles - their attacks are either completely scripted or they ignore you completely. Or there are the completely unique weapons like the needler, plasma pistol (which can EMP vehicles), magnum, railgun, plasma grenades... Nor do I recall using any weapons like the battle rifle, COD is either sniper rifles or fully automatic weapons.

But honestly, I'm tired of having to prove how vastly different Halo's gameplay is. Just the fact that it runs at 30Hz gives it twice the resources to spend on game logic and the sci-fi setting allows for a lot more variety as well. It's absurd that we're having this discussion.

Oh, I do agree it's gameplay is different, but not as different as it used to be. It's probably just my extremely negative take on it caused by my disappointment in H4 and fearing the worse that it'll turn into just another bro-shooter. Let us all hope it doesn't come to that.

Ok but those perks don't give you super-human abilities like jetpacks, boost, light shields so like I said they're limited to non-superhuman abilities and weapons...typical to realistic military shooters and not as varied as Halos.

Last edited by a moderator:
@NRP: The more sad effect of the split of Halo 4 MP population, it's that in same time the quality of the network highly decreased here in France… Have you got the same thing?
Yeah, it's the same in the US. The netcode doesn't seem to be as robust as previous Halo games. It's not always bad, but it's bad often enough.

As a long time COD and Halo player I feel that Halo 4's MP isn't as good as Halo 3 or Halo Reach. Also Treyarch changed a lot of things with BO2. I'd also like to stress that COD is not "just another" military shooter, it's COD...simple as that. Like it or not, there still isn't any other shooter out there that plays like COD, evethough a lot of them try to copy it.

By the way I don't really like BF3, I think it's inferior to BFBC2 much less even compare it to BF2 or BF2142 [they need to make BF2143 !!]

Halo 4 mp is heaps better than H3 and Reach, best controls in the whole series while also having superior map design as well.COD mp is fun but it is designed in mind for the casual gamer to jump right in and immediately do good to encourage continued playing of its mp component.It also features deathstreaks which rewards a crappy player for being bad at the game.In Halo mp, a bad player will continue to suck at the game until he/she realizes they need to change up their strategy in how they approach any given combat situation.

Halo 4 mp is heaps better than H3 and Reach, best controls in the whole series while also having superior map design as well.

How is Valhalla in Halo4 any better than in H3 or Reach? That seems to be the only map that's ever selected in H4 big-team play.

Ok but those perks don't give you super-human abilities like jetpacks, boost, light shields so like I said they're limited to non-superhuman abilities and weapons...typical to realistic military shooters and not as varied as Halos.

The only thing realistic about COD is its modern warefare theme as the gameplay is very arcade-like at its best.If you want true realism in a fps game, I suggest checking out the Arma series.

How is Valhalla in Halo4 any better than in H3 or Reach? That seems to be the only map that's ever selected in H4 big-team play.

Cause it's a map ideally for camping… :(
And the Nostalgia is really strong for many gamers, but not for me, it's the worst map on Halo 4 Big assassin.

@NRP: In some ways you're reassuring me, in others you're not…
WFT they do with their Netcode? Reach have some glitch also, but not many than H4… Why I'm continuing to pay for a service if a free service can have the same quality? Lag on PSN is the same actually than on Live, in past Live have less lag issue… Not a good move MS, in not the good time.
Next gen will be probably a Steam Box for me… More value for games and better netcode, and also returning to the moding! :)

It depends on the way you look at it. Personally I find that extremely fast reload speed, being invisible to any form of detection , remotely hacking everything and not letting the enemy know (Black hat), lightweight perk, all to be superhuman abilities as they give you an advantage of some sort if you pick them.

Halo 4 mp is heaps better than H3 and Reach
I disagree, I don't find much in Halo 4 that can match valhalla, high grounds, guardian, The Pit, Last Resort or Forge world....I think most of the maps in Halo 4 are convoluted mess

best controls in the whole series
aren't they exactly like Reach ?

while also having superior map design as well.COD mp is fun but it is designed in mind for the casual gamer to jump right in and immediately do good to encourage continued playing of its mp component.It also features deathstreaks which rewards a crappy player for being bad at the game.In Halo mp, a bad player will continue to suck at the game until he/she realizes they need to change up their strategy in how they approach any given combat situation.

You see, this is what I don't get.
If you are a crappy player then you won't be able to get the streaks cause you won't be able to chain them without dying. I'm quite good at COD and I have lots of trouble getting anything more than a lightning strike in BO2...it is hard. Also camping is impossible in Black Ops games because Treyarch is obsessed with removing it, and that was the only way a bad player could get streaks in a COD game. In all honesty, Halo 4 is just as casual (but in a different way)..it's no Halo 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back