Halo 4

Hey, I like the looks of Halo 4. Sure, the lighting does a lot, but I guess we are looking at a clever use of post processing effects (mainly), rather than something out of this world, so kudoz to the team.

Just for fun, I grabbed this Far Cry 1 screenshot...

gf6800_farcry_nobug2_1.jpg

... and I Halo 4ied it (yeah, the cheesy way). Do you want to take a look at it?

far_halo4.jpg

:p

Excellent post Acert as I agree with everything that you previously stated.In regards to mp, this is easily the most balanced Halo as alot of weapons are quite useful in a wide variety of tactical and strategic engagements which is quite refreshing to be honest.Halo 4's gameplay speed is a mix of H2's furious battles with the pacing of Reach and I absolutely love it to death.Every weapon is a counter balance to the other which creates an organic ebb and flow to firefights that really ramps up the intensity of online matches.

Also, sprinting now being assigned to the left analog stick feels much more intuitive and natural since it allows players a greater range of movement while engaging combat or wanting to move from cover to cover to gain some sort of advantage over oppoents.On a sidenote, I really like the ordinance drops as it allows an extra layer of tactical opportunity by not letting players know exactly when and where they land as they rotate to different locations on any given map.

As a competitive player, I really like alot of the positive changes that 343i has made as it makes Halo mp feel fresh again.

So I've played up to the 4th mission, I quite like it, the story seems good.
The graphics are excellent, a clear step up over Reach. The IQ is very clean for a Halo game (or even compared to the likes of BF3). However that also makes the poor texture filtering really stick out.
I don't miss Reach's poor quality SSAO which made everything look grimy.

I really like the new art style, IMO it's what a Halo game should look like, serious but with a good dose of the fantastical. It reminds me a bit of Mass Effect crossed with the grit and detail of Gears. Ken Scott and his team did a great job there.
I don't like how Didact looks though (without his armour), I thought the Forerunner would be better looking (like ME's Asari or Turian races). Didact kinda looks like the Orc commander from ROTK)

It seems much harder than Reach on Heroic, mainly because there's so little ammo for the mid range weapons which are key to taking out the Promethean Knights & Watchers (the ludicrous thing is the humble needler can make quick work of even the higher ranked Knights - but there's not much ammo for that either)

I played a few games of MP don't really have a feel for it yet, have to get used to the increased pace compared to Reach. There seems to be much more lag (and teleporting) now though; I also lament that they removed the 'prioritise good connection' matchmaking option.

I dislike the control schemes too, they should really have the option of creating your own custom control scheme if you want.
Why is that so hard to implement? It'd be a boon for the disabled gamers too.

I use a Razer Onza controller with two extra programmable bumpers and want Jump, Sprint, Reload/Action and Melee mapped to the four bumpers and the only control scheme that lets me do that has completely the opposite button mapping to what I used in Reach (and Halo 3).
Which means it's a huge PITA trying to unlearn 2 years of muscle memory and I can forsee myself pressing reload instead of melee for a fair few hours of multiplayer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The graphics are excellent, a clear step up over Reach. The IQ is very clean for a Halo game (or even compared to the likes of BF3). However that also makes the poor texture filtering really stick out.

I really like the new art style, IMO it's what a Halo game should look like, serious but with a good dose of the fantastical. It reminds me a bit of Mass Effect crossed with the grit and detail of Gears. Ken Scott and his team did a great job there.
I don't like how Didact looks though (without his armour), I thought the Forerunner would be better looking (like ME's Asari or Turian races). Didact kinda looks like the Orc commander from ROTK)

It seems much harder than Reach on Heroic, mainly because there's so little ammo for the mid range weapons which are key to taking out the Promethean Knights & Watchers (the ludicrous thing is the humble needler can make quick work of even the higher ranked Knights - but there's not much ammo for that either)

lag is terrible
like the graphics (except poor texture filtering sticks out now)
don

Once you have finished the campaign go find all the terminals on youtube it will explain why the didact looks like he does.

Oh ok,

Also, I forgot to mention, theopening CGI sequence was incredible. Fantastic depiction of Dr Halsey.
So congratulations Laa-Yosh - did you guys do the other CGI for the game as well?(ie Terminals, Spartan Ops etc).

I played a few games of MP don't really have a feel for it yet, have to get used to the increased pace compared to Reach. There seems to be much more lag (and teleporting) now though; I also lament that they removed the 'prioritise good connection' matchmaking option.

I dislike the control schemes too, they should really have the option of creating your own custom control scheme if you want.
Why is that so hard to implement? It'd be a boon for the disabled gamers too.

I use a Razer Onza controller with two extra programmable bumpers and want Jump, Sprint, Reload/Action and Melee mapped to the four bumpers and the only control scheme that lets me do that has completely the opposite button mapping to what I used in Reach (and Halo 3).
Which means it's a huge PITA trying to unlearn 2 years of muscle memory and I can forsee myself pressing reload instead of melee for a fair few hours of multiplayer.

If your having a battle when someone and that person is teleporting to different spots its most likely because they are glitching which is definitely cheating.I've seen that alot in Reach mp as its filled with cheaters.Back when Arena Doubles was still in matchmaking, I was top 100 in the world but Bungie took it out because so many players were cheating by either lag switching, glitching or using hacks.Youtube Halo Reach cheaters and you'll plenty of videos of people using aimbot or staying in Armor Lock for minutes on end etc.

I've usually had lag free matches but at times, it can get pretty laggy when someone has a crap connection.Fishstick controls lets you zoom in with the Left trigger but melee is with the right analog stick and messed up with my feel for the game, so I just play at default settings.My aim and movement sensitivity is at 3 and let's me pop off headshots left and right without any issues.

Can I ask why ODST is so low on your list ?
Was it the HUB world, the story, the characters, mission design or something else ?
I'm asking because I really liked Halo CE and Halo 3 just like you but I would put ODST inbetween CE and 3.
Something like this: Halo CE>ODST>Halo 3>Reach>Halo 2
IMO ODST has one of the most entertaining missions with great variety of vehicular and on foot combat with amazing level design and great weapon balance.
Soundtrack is also top notch, if not the best in the entire series.
Atmosphere in the city at night was also really nice.

Sorry catching up with the thread and just saw this.

When I arranged my favorites in order, my preference between each game is kind of minimal. IMO Halo 3 is still the best since it offered the best variety in locations, offered the largest vehicle battles, and had an awesome scope throughout the entire campaign. The brutes as the main enemy is probably my biggest let down with that game since even after Bungie's changes, they were too easy to pick apart from afar.

Halo CE will always have a high place in my list because even though some mechanics are a bit lacking or dated, the overall experience still holds up very well after all these years.

I've enjoyed Halo 4's campaign very much, even with the random issues and lacking banshee segments. Otherwise I thought the scope was pretty much kept intact for the on foot & vehicle sections and the gameplay is as tight as ever.

Halo Reach is still great even though I've played some levels, like Swordbase, too many times because of those challenges. =p However the art and music in every other Halo was more appealing to me and while the on foot battles are on average larger than those in halo 3, I thought the vehicle sections were lacking in scope. Also just like how Halo 4 relies too much on duplicate objectives for padding, I thought Reach relied too much on those firefight skirmishes in the campaign.

Finally onto ODST, I very much enjoyed the HUB world (even though it was basically the same half world copied and reversed), the self-contained story, and the levels in the game itself. They offered a nice variety that played to the key characteristic of each squad member. I also enjoyed the extra vulnerability from being an ODST instead of a spartan and the improvements they made to the brutes. However I didn't care for the silenced pistol or SMG, especially since the "silenced" part never played a part in the gameplay. Also even though I enjoyed what was there, the campaign still lacked in content compared to the other full-fledged Halo titles. Last, while I enjoyed the story, it was rather inconsequential in the overall universe.

As for Halo 2......well what can I say? Great job at expanding the universe, awesome story (until it ends) but the game lacked in scope for the sake of graphics and looking back, you can definitely tell the campaign lacks the polish of every other Halo in the series. I also didn't care for the Arbiter levels, but I don't know if that was due to the character I played as or just the uninspiring level design. It's easily my least favorite Halo game and the only game I've completed once on legendary never to play through again.

Well I'm not sure how I got on this long explanation :p, but hopefully that helps answer your question. :smile:

did you guys do the other CGI for the game as well?(ie Terminals, Spartan Ops etc).

No, there were at least 4 different studios involved - Blur did the CG/live action trailer, I don't know who was the Terminal stuff, probably Axis was Spartan Ops, and we did the prologue/epilogue and the Infinity intro. And yet another studio did the CG work for the Forward Unto Dawn series.

(however it seems our Halsey model appears in today's Spartan Ops episode)

Just finished the game on heroic, (first half solo, second half in co-op) and I enjoyed it a lot. Really liked the story and 5 can't come soon enough :)

Oh, and MS and 343i needs to get the movies going soon :) the univers of Halo is so rich and fascinating that it really needs get on the big screen soon :)

If your having a battle when someone and that person is teleporting to different spots its most likely because they are glitching which is definitely cheating.

Nah, it's definitely lag teleporting since it happens to me as well.

I think I'm finding it an issue because i'm outside the US and it no longer has the option to prioritise matchmaking based on best connection.

Yes, it is lag teleporting and not cheating that I see if I see the issue. It would be glitch/hack-teleporting if there were a user or two with obscene K/D scores, but at least in my games the K/D is well within the normal ranges and the scores are typically close.

Anyone interested in doing a co-op run? Seems like some of the campaign achievements would be a lot easier in co-op.

Back