Halo 4

The ending CG is spectacular too and, depending how serious you are as a Halo fan, extremely controversial.

I for one welcomed it, along with the changes made regarding interaction and dialogue between characters. I'm far more emotionally attached this time around then before.

Let me just say that I'm one of those weird few (apparently? According to studies or something?) that loves CGI in his games. I don't find it 'jarring' to go from CGI to In-game. To me, it's beautiful and enthralling. A reward for getting to a certain point in a game (such as Diablo, Starcraft, etc). I appreciate the effort Laa-Yosh and the wizards at his company did on this title. I can only hope going forward they continue to supply the Halo titles with their talent.

Because Halo with CGI is a magical thing indeed.

Also, is the second install disc.. Did it install alot of the cut scenes or loading stuff onto the HDD? Because I noticed that unlike many other games with cut scenes or even CG (on consoles anyway) these are remarkably crisp and not fuzzy and full of artifacts.

I wish I knew where and how to get into the CG biz, because to me this is the most compelling expression of art out there. So if anybody can point me in the right direction (I'm a web guy right now) I'd appreciate it.

Disc 2 is a mandatory install if you want to play the mp on Xbox Live and then just use disc 1 to access everything from.I installed both discs and the campaign loads a bit faster which is nice.

Yesterday played a little bit of campaign on Legendary and a little bit of online Flood MP and I like it. Also completed the first Spartan Ops mission on solo. Game is very polished and I like the GUI/menu system very pretty, clean and functional. The CG intros are very nicely done. Controls are not overly complicated or different from other shooters so I was able get into the action pretty effortlessly. So there's my brief initial impression from a first time Halo game player.

BTW anyone know how to change my body armor skin? I pre-ordered the game from Microsoft's Store so I should have received that as a bonus.

I am only on the 2nd real level, Requiem, but hats off to 343i for the level design. They really went with "sandbox" areas. e.g. someone was complaining about the LOD bias in this picture. Yet the entire view down to the doors on the far side is playable. I hopped in a banshee and you can fly around a bit. After this area you enter another equally large area that wraps around 2 different paths--you can pick either one or battle right down the center, which leads up top -- of the same area mind you--where there are a number of Elites and Hunters. This is, so far, not purely a linear shooter. I just turned the difficulty down to normal--heroic was fun and very challenging but I want to see the story and do legendary 4 way this weekend.

For me I like the design choices 343i made. In general it feels like Halo but evolved.

I like the 'organic' levels the most! Not only because imo that is where graphics shines the most, but somehow I like the gameplay better in those sections, but can't put a finger on why that is so.

I am not that far in, I guess, but I wonder if we get something as a big scale boss fight?!

Although I generally do not like vehicle sections in my shooters that much, I think that the Warthog controls are my favorite vehicle controls across the FPS games I played. I am happy that Borderlands just copied this.

With respect to art, I really like that everything looks more realistic and gritty...this is my thing and I like it way better than the previous Halo games.
The only thing so far that does not quite fit with this more serious tone is those little enemies (don't know there name: covenant or something like this??)...the look good, that is not the problem. But when they are afraid and run away, the put their hands up in the air and start screaming...seems a bit hysterical for soldiers and at the end a bit comical, maybe on purpose as a reference to the old games.

Oh, and btw: the alien shotgun is maybe my new favorite weapon...just disintegrates everything close up...pow!

I just played this game and I have to say: what the hell is up with the current-gen Halo games and their obsession with bloom? It very much look like they are using it to hide technical shortcomings and poor quality textures. And unfortunately, Halo 4 is no different. The bloom is once again use to mask technical shortcomings. Take that away and you'll immediately see how average this game look.

I'm very disappointed, Halo 2 is pretty much the only Halo game that really took advantage of MS/Xbox hardware. The current-gen ones are all massive disappointments in terms of graphics.

Hey look, someone with the username PSMan doesn't like Halo! What a surprise!

Not going to bother feeding trolls.

Congrats Laa-Yosh on the excellent work.

I just finished the campaign and have to say it is the best Halo campaign yet. How the hell am I supposed to be able to wait til the next one?

All I can say is that ending better be just a hook for the next one or I'm going to be seriously pissed at 343i.

I just played this game and I have to say: what the hell is up with the current-gen Halo games and their obsession with bloom? It very much look like they are using it to hide technical shortcomings and poor quality textures. And unfortunately, Halo 4 is no different. The bloom is once again use to mask technical shortcomings. Take that away and you'll immediately see how average this game look.

Nah it's ok , i want gorgeous HDR in my Halos ... but you must be bored of HDR after Resistance and Killzone , it's understandable .

Why are you guys always bringing PS3 versus Xbox360 in every single thread? Are you all really that obsessed with this topic? No interest in the games anymore, no interest in talking about the actual thread topic: Halo 4?

Booooorrrrriiiiing!

Did someone of you make a kill with a grenade? I use them a lot, but enemies always dodge and jump away right in time...

I've gotten plenty of kills with grenades, but that's on normal difficulty. I'm taking my time and wanting my first playthrough to be relatively relaxing (busy right now and can't take time off JUST for Halo 4).

Regards,
SB

I'm very disappointed, Halo 2 is pretty much the only Halo game that really took advantage of MS/Xbox hardware. The current-gen ones are all massive disappointments in terms of graphics.

Halo 4 is the only Halo game that uses bloom extensively in certain areas, and even then it's due to the art style more than anything and works very well.

I mean, compare Halo 3 to Halo 4:
rkggr.jpg

2821855-gallery.png

The lighting in Halo 4 reminds me of God of War 3 in parts.

I cant even believe all the people flooding in here to denigrate the games looks. Actually I guess I shouldn't be surprised, anytime an Xbox game looks spectacular there are a lot of people that want to tear it down.

That said, yeah, the lighting is almost annoyingly bloomy/bright at times. Almost hard to watch. They could have toned it down a bit. Specifically the tron-ish levels.

But to say Reach looks better than this just means you need glasses. I imagine there are next going to be people who say Halo 3 looks better than this too (since there are people who say 3 looks better than Reach...) and yeah, if you pop 3 and 4 in back to back they look like different generations.

Overall the game does look spectacular, including of course the CG. This is what you get when 300 people work on a game.

As to the game itself, I'm still not sure. Probably something like an 8/10.

Another thing I can criticize is I felt like from like level 3 on, the intensity just ramped and ramped. The whole last several levels felt almost too intense, as if the final level started about 4 levels too early. Thus they had to ramp the tension ever higher, and it just became almost grating.

Also felt almost like it dragged out a bit. But practically any FPS beyond 6 hours or so suffers this. There's just not any way to fit more than 6 hours of content in a straight FPS/TPS without dragging it out. Yet the devs must make the games longer and longer else they get bashed for being too short.

But the fun halo combat is all there.

Too the visuals, the thing looks so good, it's hard to imagine what a hypothetical Durango with just 2X the power can do. But yet in reality it will likely have at least 6X. It's crazy to think about.

My eyes hate the massive bloom; the game feels too harsh on the eyes. Maybe it's their default brightness, but I'm having to adjust to make it darker so my eyes don't burn out.

This! It's almost painful on the eyes at times.

Cool, just played a vehicle section...driving around with a tank, and I must admit: was lot's of fun! So far, the vehicle sections are really well made and this from a guy who typically hates vehicle sections...

Game seems to get better and better during campaign: not only gameplay, but also graphics shine in my opinion. I don't know why people complain so much: but I thought the jungle level looked good and very organic. Furthermore, nothing to complain about the bloom so far. I guess it fits into those tron-ish levels...

And please guys, use spoiler tags when talking about story.

USE SPOILER TAGS OR FACE A BANNING!

With the utmost respect, I'm gonna go hardcore on this. Spoilers aren't something that need a gentle reminder, but a clear, conscious behaviour, and the only tool I have to influence that after asking nicely is the threat of a great big ban-hammer to focus the attentions a little. ;)

Please use the "Report Post" button to report spoilers if anyone's foolish enough to forget! There's a story thread for discussing that.

Dropped weapons disappear too quickly now. They seemed to stick around forever even in CE, so that's a shame. That and blurry skyboxes after Reach and 3.

There are some great levels toward the end, though I'm not clear on what happened at the end. CGI videos are really very well directed and scripted, and they look great.

Back