Halo 4

Weak texture filtering isn't going to blur the whole screen. There's not even any long walls at oblique angles to judge the texture filtering in that screenshot. There's quite a bit of compression artefacting in the darker areas, so maybe you should just wait for uncompressed (or the game) if you're that worried.

That's exactly what I was trying to say earlier, for example when you throw a plasma grenade in Reach it illuminates the surrounding but in Halo 4 it doesn't.

They reduced the radii of lights. If you go to 3:47 you can clearly see the light emission from the plasma. For whatever reason, the replay cam at 3:50 didn't show the same effect. *shrug* Maybe it's a bug - dunno why the same scene would replay differently.

I didn't know the longer you play a game makes your opinion more credible. Besides, if your gamertag is the samer as your B3D username, then you don't come close to how much I've played Reach.

Anywho, take a look at this screenshot from Halo 4 (no spoilers, environment already revealed)
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6420/108430623.4/0_89982_201ab6ca_orig.jpg and compare that to the opening scene from Winter Contingency (first Reach level). The difference really isn't as big as most people make it out to be.

Having said that, Halo 4 does look better than Reach, but people act as if Reach is an early gen title compared to 4. Give Reach some credit, it's still visually, technically and artistically great game.

My gamertag isn't the same as my B3D screen name just to let you know.Reach is a nice looking game but Halo 4 does look much better from the HD videos that I've seen.

You guys clearly don't understand the issue here. This is Halo and it's not running on a PS3, so it's obviously not allowed to look good. Something has to be seriously wrong with the graphics, it just takes a little effort to find it and point it out for everyone to see.

On a more serious note, I checked Corinne Yu's twitter and she sort of hinted at H4 using an energy conserving shading model. As far as I know that requires a linear lighting model and thus HDR rendering.
Oh and ever since the game's gone gold, she's been at work taking the engine apart ;)

She wants to make it better, obviously :) They have a lot of experience on working with actual game content and they may also be able to start prototyping stuff for next gen hardware. There isn't that much info in the tweets but it puts some things into perspective.

For example, this one I understand:
"Excitement I feel moment Halo goes gold is I get to tear code apart and do serious work.I am more eager to stay late after gold than before"

This one not so much:
"I am tempted to rewrite facial animation solver as computing all covariance in bignum arithmetic as covariance is big decrease in precision."

I only have some very rough idea about what this means, and most of my work is facial rigging nowadays. It really is some high level stuff, the image based facial capture in Halo 4 seems pretty close to movie VFX quality.

Animations are great:

i2Dqzws39wYfa.gif

ibtngLLIt0iVGJ.gif

A little taste of the game's soundtrack:
http://soundcloud.com/neil-davidge/tracks?format=html&page=1

Funnily enough the remixes are pretty good overall, too.
But the OST itself is very strong in my opinion - it is at the same time very different from the Bungie music but sounding quite like Halo too.

The original versions of To Galaxy, Arrival and Revival feel the most like the ones to be strongly associated with the game.
Revival in particular is amazing - it is pretty much the theme of the Didact, and its motifs will return later on in what's probably the music for the final fight, the track Nemesis. But you can only find that on youtube, for now.

That's just the first level, meant to remind players of Halo 1's "Pillar of Autumn" - a tight, claustrophobic space in a UNSC vessel. Right in the next level the game opens up significantly, offering large scale vistas at practically the same visual fidelity.

I need to pre-order but I have been waiting for the best deal with release day delivery. Looks like Amazon it will be.

344829.png

This is not an ingame screenshot. It's from the live action trailer premiering tonight.

Kinda nice that they're basically just using the high poly model. They're doing the CG in-house right? Any idea what renderer they might use for that quality?

Which part of 'live action' did you miss? :)

Blue Realm studios built a second version of the H4 Chief armor, I guess they might be using that one again, as it's been featured in a trailer already:
screenshot204.jpg

Although as far as I know Blur studios (the CG house working on the trailer) has indeed made a CG version as well. So who knows, maybe Chief is CG and others are actors? Or even Chief is a mix of live action and CG...

But it is usually impossible to use the highres models built for the normal maps of ingame assets because they're dirty jobs made only for the final result most of the time. They are made from millions of polygons so rigging is problematic, they have lots of intersections and other problems, can't really be UV mapped and so on.
All this is especially true for hard surface objects like Chief's armor - you can 100% trust me on this one...

Ah ok. Thought they might have mixed the live action (i.e. humans) with CG elements like the other live action stuff for H3/ODST. Then again, Reach did have real suits. derp.

Also thought I read somewhere they were using high poly models for the SpOps CGI, which are in-house. Didn't know Blur was doing the trailer though. :p

Back