Halo 4

What gets me the most is the muzzle flash lighting is toned down so much that it doesn't even illuminate the body of the AR, it just feels empty and weak now. The deferred lighting in Reach was really much better implemented. But I agree, 720p native does make some big difference here too.

Muzzle flash lighting is toned but everything else looks so much better than Reach.Good sacrifice by 343i in my opinion..

What gets me the most is the muzzle flash lighting is toned down so much that it doesn't even illuminate the body of the AR, it just feels empty and weak now. The deferred lighting in Reach was really much better implemented. But I agree, 720p native does make some big difference here too.

Do you know enough to say, "The deferred lighting in Reach was really much better implemented." Seriously, are you basing this purely on the AR muzzle flash?

Two examples showing this appears to be more of an artistic choice: (1) a different gun providing substantial burst lighting effect and (2) a dynamic light source acting upon the AR.

So, ultragpu, based on what, exactly, have you come to this conclusion that the lighting is substantially downgraded?

This isn't to say things have not changed, as they have, but I find the connection between muzzle flash and a completely downgraded lighting engine (something 343i in their tech interview with IGN said they made a priority to upgrade and all the great visuals I see, like this, scream nice.) to be akin to using an artistic change as the basis to make comments about the technology that are completely unconnected.

Do you know enough to say, "The deferred lighting in Reach was really much better implemented." Seriously, are you basing this purely on the AR muzzle flash?

Two examples showing this appears to be more of an artistic choice: (1) a different gun providing substantial burst lighting effect and (2) a dynamic light source acting upon the AR.

So, ultragpu, based on what, exactly, have you come to this conclusion that the lighting is substantially downgraded?

This isn't to say things have not changed, as they have, but I find the connection between muzzle flash and a completely downgraded lighting engine (something 343i in their tech interview with IGN said they made a priority to upgrade and all the great visuals I see, like this, scream nice.) to be akin to using an artistic change as the basis to make comments about the technology that are completely unconnected.

Reach has all those two effects you listed on top of better muzzleflash lighting and projectiles casting dynamic lighting. I'm not saying Halo4's lighting engine is a downgrade, it looks better with more bloom and light shaft but falls short at the number of dynamic lights it allows to cast. I'm just being very specific here.

Reach has all those two effects you listed on top of better muzzleflash lighting and projectiles casting dynamic lighting. I'm not saying Halo4's lighting engine is a downgrade, it looks better with more bloom and light shaft but falls short at the number of dynamic lights it allows to cast. I'm just being very specific here.

all projectiles that were casting lights in Halo:Reach are casting lights in Halo 4.

The thing that bothers me the most is the dynamic shadows. Though they ae pretty high res, they just look off. They probably just darken thinks on a very unrealistic way, alla most unreal engine games.
All halos did this, but I just wish this one could be different. For some reason modulated shadows are one of the hacks that jump at me the most. I remember hating it in Gears 1 and 2, Batman Arkham games, Mass Effect... The way it was done in Gears 3 for example was a huge improvement.

The thing that bothers me the most is the dynamic shadows. Though they ae pretty high res, they just look off. They probably just darken thinks on a very unrealistic way, alla most unreal engine games.
All halos did this, but I just wish this one could be different. For some reason modulated shadows are one of the hacks that jump at me the most. I remember hating it in Gears 1 and 2, Batman Arkham games, Mass Effect... The way it was done in Gears 3 for example was a huge improvement.

The shadows in gears 3 were baked into the environment.

The shadows in gears 3 were baked into the environment.

I know, but the dynamic ones had the correct color, they shadowed the direct term only and left the GI componet ( also baked ) unshadowed. They merged correctly with the environment baked ones, so there was no doubleshadowing, and the characters did receive shadows from the env. too. It was not a global shadow buffer as most games do, but it allowed simmilar results, without many of the artifacts assossiated with realtime shadows.
Still, many areas had the old modulated ones that are ugly, and I just can't believe how many times I saw the guns cast a shadow separated from the character holding it, and it created a very ugly double shadowing thing, that was probably also more costly memory wise.

Watched a few campaign segments, gun fights in Reach definitely looked better with its object motion blur, more dynamic lighting especially on muzzle flash and projectiles. The art design is much more attractive in Halo 4 though. I honestly don't see what's so impossible to pull off here?
I don't care about the motion blur, but the dynamic lights in Reach seem more noticeable by far, which makes the firefights look better in Reach than in 4, judging by the gameplay footage I have seen. Particles seem to have taken a hit as well. Grenade explosions look lackluster in comparison to Reach.

It's all preference, though.

I don't care about the motion blur, but the dynamic lights in Reach seem more noticeable by far, which makes the firefights look better in Reach than in 4, judging by the gameplay footage I have seen. Particles seem to have taken a hit as well. Grenade explosions look lackluster in comparison to Reach.

It's all preference, though.
Unfortunately, I couldn't resist but to watch good chunk of campaign but the area where Halo 4 has Reach (and almost any other game on console beaten) are particles.

Those shots look kinda blurry are they not? The FXAA used here is really aggressive.
Looks like that. Although, I won't judge until I see it on my TV. ME3 has very sharp look, but once you are moving the entire picture is crawling with aliasing. MP3 in comparison looks much better even though its slightly blurrier when looking at direct feed stills.

The pics also look more compressed (And washed out) on the capture compared to the first one inside the ship. Maybe component capture?

Considering that I've played Reach much more than you have, I'm not downplaying its visual fidelity at all.It's definitely a nice looking game but Halo 4 really does look much better.

I didn't know the longer you play a game makes your opinion more credible. Besides, if your gamertag is the samer as your B3D username, then you don't come close to how much I've played Reach.

Anywho, take a look at this screenshot from Halo 4 (no spoilers, environment already revealed)
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6420/108430623.4/0_89982_201ab6ca_orig.jpg and compare that to the opening scene from Winter Contingency (first Reach level). The difference really isn't as big as most people make it out to be.

Having said that, Halo 4 does look better than Reach, but people act as if Reach is an early gen title compared to 4. Give Reach some credit, it's still visually, technically and artistically great game.

Back