Halo 4

The Spartan armors are also inspired by japanese art design. Kenneth Scott, the art director, is a big fan ;) Just look at some of the Doom 3 monsters too...

Did he do the Doom 3 armours as well? I immediately thought of those when I saw the Spartan IV suits (not a fan of them at all :|)

Well not sure how many he modeled personally, but I know he sculpted the Imp and the Demon Knight, and probably a lot of other stuff too. I've also seen a lot of his stuff in the Mudbox beta test many years ago and he was always exploring these complex forms and shapes that only Japanese action figures and sculptures had. There were many great links too but I lost them, and never really learned the Japanese names, so I can't even google the stuff...

Well, it's more the helmet design than anything. The backpack portion looks weird to me still (or jetpack).

The game looks faaaar better in motion than it does in stills.

Also the prothean/forerunner enemies look a little like something out of neon genesis evangelion. Very Japanese anime inspired.

The overall art style is very different to past Halo games. But since it's a proper sequel, I consider that a good thing :)

Man I said the same thing until the forum hiccuped the other day and didn't submit my post. Totally Evangelion.

Well, it's more the helmet design than anything. The backpack portion looks weird to me still (or jetpack).

I once read that the helmet design originated from a motorbike helmet; Bungie was initially creating an RTS and they had no inspiration for one of the soldier models. So they just used a motorbike helmet to be done with it. Then they changed the type of game, and had to choose a central character. Turned out everybody loved the design with the motorbike helmet. So they went with that.

I believe I read it in Edge (sometime around 2001). I tried googling for it but nothing useful comes up.
Well anyway, it's pretty funny that it turned out to be such an iconic design in the end. Also people now really identified with the character because nobody know how he looks so underneath he can be anyone (the player).

Still, I really detest the design, though some of the Reach designs i believe show great improvement imo

They've already shown a few pretty good helmets, there's the scout and the locus, I think the gungnir is at least OK too. But I agree that default boxy helmet looks kinda lame.

Oh and Chief's helmet looks very good, IMHO, in fact the entire armor is really cool.

Some more photos. Really great stuff:

H4-E3-Campaign-1.jpg

e32012halo4campaign6jpg-2863f2.jpg

:oops:

Who cares? We rarely get non bullshot screens. We have video and it looks great. IQ is pretty good too, besides the specular alaising

Who cares? We rarely get non bullshot screens. We have video and it looks great. IQ is pretty good too, besides the specular alaising

Yeah, the demo looked good ! What I didn't like were the art for the new enemies, but overall the HALO feel was right there in the opening ship sequence.

I'm beginning to wonder if bullshots aren't self-defeating. Not only do they set expectations for IQ that won't be met but if anything they tend to emphasize lower res textures and objects with simpler meshes. Before looking at the bullshots I probably wouldn't have noticed the lower level of detail of the covenant dropships in that scene.

I probably wouldn't have noticed the lower level of detail of the covenant dropships in that scene.

Seems to be a streaming bug, at least going by the Spartan Ops video - a phantom flies overhead with the low res texture (same as you see here), then switches to a higher res at a point.

Apparently in the new set of books, a new fraction arises that still wants to exterminate humanity.
Basically, you have a faction on each side who will never trust one another, and both are trying their hardest (for some reason or other) to make sure the peace doesn't work out.

No wonder, 20+ years of war can't just be forgotten in a second.

It's also a better idea to come up with some reason for the Covenant to come back as an enemy, instead of trying to invent a new fraction with the same characteristics.

It's also a better idea to come up with some reason for the Covenant to come back as an enemy, instead of trying to invent a new fraction with the same characteristics.

Yeah... actually, I have complaints about the forerunner enemies shown so far being all orange and grey. Maybe there's a reason for that, but I mean Forerunner tech was almost always featuring blue (and some other colours with icons etc). :p

I really hope it's not just blue equals good, orange/red = bad/rampant. :| Next thing they'll tell me is that Cortana will feature Frankie's beard when she goes rampant.

It's hard to tell anything apart with their weaponry as well unlike the distinctiveness of the Covenant weapons, especially from a distance. :s

Back