Halo 4

This just in, Naughty Dog guys are from this day lazy bastards for not starting with UC3 quality level
Uncharted was impressing me since the first game. Halo 3 and Reach didnt
And my point was Halo should have been setting high bars since its first 360 incarnation. Sure Halo 4 level of quality from the beginning was impossible. But they were nothing what I was expecting even for their time.

I don't think it's that impressive considering it was mainly in a corridor with the sides blocked off by trees.

Wonder what the native resolution is.

Yeah, showing a corridor part for an E3 demo can only mean that there won't be large open spaces and vehicle battles in a Halo game.

image_halo_4-19338-2311_0002.jpg

Has everyone gone completely mental here?

Folks, can we just skip it with the game comparisons and expectations? Games (and genres of course) will have totally different types of gameplay features and focus that will affect what's shown on screen. The discussion has been had numerous times in the past, so just drop the stealth bait/snickering and move on if you don't care about the game.

Wonder what the native resolution is.

It's 1280x720 with FXAA.

Uncharted was impressing me since the first game. Halo 3 and Reach didnt
And my point was Halo should have been setting high bars since its first 360 incarnation. Sure Halo 4 level of quality from the beginning was impossible. But they were nothing what I was expecting even for their time.

Halo 3 was the only reason I bought into the 360 and is was a great disappointment. Luckily Gears turned up and showed some promise. But it always felt that devs on the 360 were so sure of sales that they didn't quite push the envelope as much as Sony pushed it's devs to achieve.

I liked Halo Reach though it put right nearly all the 3 wrongs.

That's a nice 1920x1080 bullshot you've posted...
He posted that to show that there's wide open spaces in the game.

Please take your biases somewhere else.

Halo 3 was the only reason I bought into the 360 and is was a great disappointment. Luckily Gears turned up and showed some promise. But it always felt that devs on the 360 were so sure of sales that they didn't quite push the envelope as much as Sony pushed it's devs to achieve.
Halo 3 has massive play areas with a huge draw distance and like 30 AI onscreen characters while Gears of War 1 had very small play areas with like a max of 10 AI characters onscreen. Obviously the game with the larger scale won't look as good.

Halo 3 has massive play areas with a huge draw distance and like 30 AI onscreen characters while Gears of War 1 had very small play areas with like a max of 10 AI characters onscreen.

Also, Halo 4 is - last time I checked - running on an enhanced version of the Reach engine, which was in turn an advanced version of the H3 engine.

A lot of the nice graphics comes from a different art direction and a completely new art team. I also think the budget has been seriously boosted...

Just because Halo 4 uses an enhanced engine of Reach and Reach uses an enhanced engine of Halo 3 that doesnt make the first games any more impressive than what they were
That's your loss. Both games had a lot of pretty impressive stuff.
I owned both games and finished them both. So what exactly did I lose? It just wasnt impressive enough. And I am not the "too high standards" guy

Strokes for different folks. Big scale battles, 4 player co-op... Can we not move on now? This is getting silly, just like every other reveal in the other game threads.

No thoughts on the new enemies? The giant sphere? The new weapons? ex-Covenant vs new enemy potential? What's up with the monster vehicle in the campaign shots? And here I thought this was the games forum. :|

Being completely honest here as a long time Halo fan.. I'm very pleased that Bungie has been removed from the equation.

Halo revolutionized things and we all (well most of us) loved it for that. Halo 2 was more of a 'refinement' to the formula and arguably had one of the best MP scenes of all time.

However the plot started to suffer and character development was total poop. Halo 3 was much of the same without as great an MP experience, and had one of the absolute weakest plots ever.

Things got stagnant. Chief, as always, was a mostly speechless robot who would pipe in once or twice in a cut scene. The arbiter had more meaningful development and dialogue.

Reach attempted to actually create a supporting cast of characters you gave a shit about. Your guy, of course, was a mute per usual save for one or two lines.

With this trailer I've seen a few things that, as a Halo fan, blew my mind. For one the engine, this game looks seriously damn good. But also the way 343 is dealing with characters and dialogues is different.

Chief and Cortana are having frequent back and forth here- additionally they have a little HUD image of her speaking to you (and it doesn't seem like pre-canned generic facial expressions and lift movements.. Seems to match what she's saying).

There are a few things that bug me. Like how in the hell is there a UNSC ship that landed on the same planet that Chief did (given the events of H3). Why are the Covenant there? Why are the Elites playing nice with the Jackals again? And hostile to humans still? How did the chief get new armor?

There seems to be a new 'big bad' too- This forerunner intelligence.

The whole thing seems alot more character driven, atleast from the preview. And I could not be happier. Hopefully 343 can put some life back into the Halo universe.

I just hit the Halo 4 tile on the 360 dashboard (oh no, ads, gnashing teeth, waaaa) and the detail section said 2 player co-op. So it's not 4 player co-op anymore? Is MP stil 4 player but spec-ops is 2 player? Curious.

I meant in reference to Halo 3, but that's interesting for Halo 4... I think they mean local. The fact sheet mentions the following under the campaign section specifically:
“Halo 4” delivers the series’ most dynamic and explosive campaign yet —whether you take up the fight solo or launch a cooperative assault with up to four players over Xbox LIVE.
The Forerunner vision in the Spartan Ops 2 part of the B-Roll showed two friendlies in green outline, so that's not it. I'm also pretty certain they mentioned 4 players for this mode anyway.

They totally ripped the HUD from Metroid--I love it! And the game looks fantastic, a massive leap over the first Xbox 360 Halo (Halo 3, 2007).

They totally ripped the HUD from Metroid--I love it! And the game looks fantastic, a massive leap over the first Xbox 360 Halo (Halo 3, 2007).
As well as the visors, and the new enemies look almost identical to Space Pirates and Chozos from Metroid Prime.

I'm really excited, they don't seem like anything we've ever fought in any Halo game.

Back