Renesas license PowerVR Series 6 (Rogue)

tangey

Veteran
Renesas just announced as a Rogue Licencee.

http://www.imgtec.com/corporate/newsdetail.asp?NewsID=657

Interestingly, it was thought important to state that both Renesas Mobile and the parent company Renesas Electronics, are licencees. Its unclear to me at the moment whether Renesas was one of the previously undisclosed Rogue Licencees, of which there were 3.

Add Multi-use Rogue licence to Renesas extensive list of IMG graphics portfolio, SGX530,531,535,540,543, another 5XT (licensed May 2011).

A couple of days ago, Renesas announced a new PND focused Soc with SGX540 in it.

http://www.renesas.eu/press/news/2011/news20111110.jsp

makes 7 Rogue licencees....

Apple,ST-E,Sony,Intel,Mediatek,TI and Renesas.

Sony CE is a maybe and might be Sega, if console rumours hold true.

I do not think that partners that were officialy undisclosed earlier will be disclosed in the future. If they wanted their names to be used, they would have said yes earlier.

By the By, I know mods are charged with keeping things orderly in here, which is exactly right. But I originally posted the 1st message here, in the existing Renesas thread. It magically removed itself from there, generated into own thread, and made up its own title.

Frankly, I think its a little cold to do that without even telling the original poster it had been done or why, or even perhaps put an entry in the editing box to confirm what had happened.

Why would some licensees try to hide the fact that they licensed?

Well Apple is secretive anyways but given their current SOCs, it's not that surprising they would go with the next-gen GPU from their current provider.

Because large semiconductors have for years now been extremely secretive when it comes to technology licenses. In the majority of cases we find out usually close to something's release what's inside and up until then a multitude of colourful rumors come and go. Look at the console market for instance. IMG made an announcement in the past without naming the licensee for the SONY PSVita GPU IP license; only when SONY officially announced the device did they mention what it contains.

It's not any different with consoles either. The only known specifications of next generation consoles are for the Nintendo WiiU.

I'm not sure what the secrecy is for but one good reason I could think of is that large semis evaluate IP from different sources long before they define the final hw for each device. Probably they have initially a larger number of contending solutions, which after time get narrowed down to 2 until the final verdict falls. If the public would know that A, B, C, D etc. was a possibility for such a design, for those who fail in the end (for whatever reason) it isn't necessarily a positive mindshare, rather the contrary.

Well Apple is secretive anyways but given their current SOCs, it's not that surprising they would go with the next-gen GPU from their current provider.
I don't recall IMG ever announcing them directly as a licensee. Even today they're not listed under their licencees: http://imgtec.com/partners/Licensees.asp

I don't recall IMG ever announcing them directly as a licensee. Even today they're not listed under their licencees:

They did, just the once, tacked onto the press release about Apple buying shares in IMG.
I think they were forced to. At that time the nature of the announcement was such that it basically allowed Apple to take whatever future IP they want from IMG without another announcement being required.

I'll dig it out later.

...sometime later..

In fact the statement about Apple being a licencee used the exact minimum words

"Apple is a licensee of Imagination's technology"
http://www.imgtec.com/corporate/newsdetail.asp?NewsID=473

The all encompassing announcement I remembered, did not refer to Apple directly, but it was in a tone that would mean they would NEVER have to announce again.

"Further to its announcement on 6th July 2007 of an initial license agreement with an international electronics systems company, this company has now concluded a new multi-year, multi-use license agreement which gives it access to Imagination's wide range of current and future POWERVR graphics and video IP cores"

They have access to current and future, video and graphics, in multi-devices, for multiple years !

http://www.imgtec.com/corporate/newsdetail.asp?NewsID=392

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it the same for Intel and "Eurasia" (I think it was somewhere in 2005)? Unless of course Eurasia describes only SGX and not Rogue.

Licensees usually focus PR on their own brand and not that of their IP supplier because they want to deliver a consistent message about their technology and not be second-guessed based on their choice or if they later change suppliers.

Is there any speculation on the specs for Rogue? I ask because there is talks of Apple suing it for their A6. If the iPad "3" does have a "retina" (2048x1536) display, there is talks about how much GPU power is needed to not suck.

Is there any speculation on the specs for Rogue? I ask because there is talks of Apple suing it for their A6. If the iPad "3" does have a "retina" (2048x1536) display, there is talks about how much GPU power is needed to not suck.

Current Tegra3 SoC powered devices that have appeared in the GL Benchmark database deliver at 1920*1152 comparable performance to Tegra2 in Egypt standard (at 1280*752). In terms of the GPU block the T3 ULP GF got merely one more Vec4 PS ALU and 50% more frequency and that under the same 40nm TSMC process.

Any future Apple SoC will be at least under 32nm down from the current samsung 45nm the A5 is being manufactured on.

Outside of ST Ericsson's announced performance figures for an up to now unknown amount of cores, the rest of us can merely guess on Molly's and Poppy's figures they leave in their cat litter :p

Apple also owns around a 17% stake in ImgTec, so they'll be licensees for the foreseeable future for sure.

Back