I Can Hazwell?

If Ivybridge-E is an 8 core processor then that should be pretty interesting. Beyond that, this has got to be one of the most boring roadmaps ever. Even an 8 core Ivy-E should only match a quad Haswells peak floating point throughput due to it lacking AVX2.

X79 is also an outdated chipset already... the kind of people who want 8 cores are going to find X79 restrictive unfortunately.

Is it? It provides a shit ton of PCIe lines (40 ones, supporting PCIe 3.0), that's all there is to it. That can't possibily get outdated, it still beats Z87 and 990FX. It does provide SATA 3Gb ports, which sounds less cool but additional SATA 6Gb controllers are widespread on mobos, the only people hurt would be those who would want to plug six or eight SSDs on the mobo's SATA ports.

I absolutely agree with Blazkowicz; there's eight ram slots for 64GB of ram, enough PCI-E lanes to run quad SLI with each card having it's own dedicated 3.0 8x slot and still have another slot available for...
the only people hurt would be those who would want to plug six or eight SSDs on the mobo's SATA ports.
... nope, if you've got that kind of money, you go buy a PCI-E RAID card for your SSD drives. Like me :D

I must say I'm really disappointed with Haswell. I didn't expect a huge speed up but I hoped we would see a great jump in battery life. And I hoped that Haswell would fit into tablets. But it seems the new processor uses more power than the Ivy Bridge!

Maybe things will change and we'll see laptops with great battery lives but, thus far, I'm disappointed.

I must say I'm really disappointed with Haswell. I didn't expect a huge speed up but I hoped we would see a great jump in battery life. And I hoped that Haswell would fit into tablets. But it seems the new processor uses more power than the Ivy Bridge!

Maybe things will change and we'll see laptops with great battery lives but, thus far, I'm disappointed.

They are desktop chips.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/4/4395926/sony-vaio-pro-review-were-going-to-war-with-the-macbook-air

They cut weight from 3 lb to 2 lb and increased battery life. Sounds like a slam dunk for Haswell to me.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7047/the-haswell-ultrabook-review-core-i74500u-tested

aHfTmHw.png

:runaway:

Of course it is huge & impressive. I was merely pointing out that the graph was taken out of its context.

On the other hand, the smaller integrated package of Haswell allows a system to have larger batteries while maintaining similar size and weight. That should also be under consideration too.

I must say I'm really disappointed with Haswell. I didn't expect a huge speed up but I hoped we would see a great jump in battery life. And I hoped that Haswell would fit into tablets.
I am quite pleased, since the Ultrabook reviews show a ~30% improvement in battery life (normalized to battery size). I have been waiting for Haswell to buy me a new Ultrabook (or a Macbook Air, depending if Apple finally releases a Retina version of it).

Haswell is not a big improvement if you are running existing software in a desktop. However Haswell doubled the SIMD integer performance (AVX2), doubled the SIMD floating point performance (FMA3) and doubled the cache bandwidths to match the increases. TSX also provides a big boost in synchronization primitives (even for low thread count software) and gather helps a lot in writing efficient SPMD-style parallel code. All these new features require software support, and thus are not visible in the benchmarks. These are huge features for the Xeon based supercomputer clusters, and allow Intel to strengthen it's presence in there. Eventually consumer software (and games) will also start to use these new technologies, and then we will truly see how big improvement Haswell was over it's predecessors.

If Ivybridge-E is an 8 core processor then that should be pretty interesting. Beyond that, this has got to be one of the most boring roadmaps ever. Even an 8 core Ivy-E should only match a quad Haswells peak floating point throughput due to it lacking AVX2.

IvyBridge-E is not going to be here until September and rumour points its going to be 6 cores at most. Have to go to low clocking Xeon for affordable 8 cores part.

Just out of curiousity if your typical workstation multitask 15+ software plus some background processes, if you don't need absolute performance on a single software, is getting dual socket low clock 8 cores Xeon much better option than getting Haswell ?

IvyBridge-E is not going to be here until September and rumour points its going to be 6 cores at most. Have to go to low clocking Xeon for affordable 8 cores part.
Apple presentation where they previewed the upcoming Mac Pro suggests it's 12 cores/CPU. Of course, it could be dual 6-core CPUs, but I wonder how they would fit dual CPUs (with quad memory channels for each no less) and also dual GPUs in that tiny chassis along with chipset, PSU, misc. circuitry like triple firewire, dual thunderbolt controllers and so on. Would be one HELL of a feat I say...

Also, presentation claims IVB-E has 256-bit SIMD.

Apple presentation where they previewed the upcoming Mac Pro suggests it's 12 cores/CPU. Of course, it could be dual 6-core CPUs, but I wonder how they would fit dual CPUs (with quad memory channels for each no less) and also dual GPUs in that tiny chassis along with chipset, PSU, misc. circuitry like triple firewire, dual thunderbolt controllers and so on. Would be one HELL of a feat I say...
Ivy-Bridge-E was confirmed to be up to twelves cores a while ago IIRC. Some people are confusing the desktop variants with the xeon variants (only the former is rumored to be restricted to 6 cores, and apple certainly is using xeons (E5 Ivy - I guess that's the whole reason the box isn't available yet).

Yes just like any other Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge chip (well they don't say float or int simd of course...)
edit: Actually they do even say 256bit float units :)

Last edited by a moderator:

From the preview on their home page it is clearly a single socket design.

Dual graphic cards (up to 7TFlops), PSU, 4 ram slots, 4 x USB 3.0, 6 (!) x Thunderbolt 2 (for a total of 36 connections due to their daisy chain capability) supplied by 3 controllers, which enables 3 x 4K Ultra HD displays, HDMI 1.4, audio in/out and 2 x GbE.

All packed inside a chassis that is ~25 cm high and 16 cm in diameter.

Back