Adobe stops developing Flash Player for Mobile Browsers

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
Have a look at this thing:
http://ecodazoo.com/
One of the most amazing Flash 3D things out there, IMO. :)
Hmm, ~50% cpu load on a 800MHz A8 here, at a low teen fps. Not bad for a sw rasterizer, at that viewport resolution. But had this demo tried to do bilinear filtering, or heck, even something a tad more dynamic than a single texture layer with no other intepolants than uv things would have looked differently. Ok, I saw one env-mapped object too, so at least it can do some per-vertex work. Of course, that's where 3D tech was back in the mid '90s, which is where the darn problem is - it's too little, at too high a wattage cost (on a mobile, anyway).

Question to people claiming that html5 can do anything flash can:
Can you suggest me a video/audio player I could use on my page to share stuff with others that wouldn't need 3 different video formats to be able to work in most used browsers (and even then needing flash-based backup plan)?

just use the html5 video tag with h.264 + Broadway.js

Are people really streaming a lot of Flash video with mobile browsers?

It seems Android phones support Flash but not very well (poor performance, hit on battery life).

So people were putting up with that or did they look for mobile apps. to view video instead?

argor said:
flash fanboys like you just have to accept its is inevitable that html5 will takeover flash except maybe with dmr video
I thought I made it pretty clear earlier that I'm far from flash fanboy and I'd absolutely love for nice and simple HTML5 to become capable enough to replace it. I was merely stating that people are killing flash before there is a properly supported and widespread alternative for it.
just use the html5 video tag with h.264 + Broadway.js
Considering it took ~15% of quadcore i7 mobile CPU (15% over 8 cores or rougly one core at 100%) just for the sd matrix, had severe problems with keeping constant frame rate, seemed to require to download the entire clip before playing and it nearly crashed Chrome after a little while I'm not all that impressed really.

No, they aren't portable enough. It's PITA to work with canvas at this point. I've written a lot of canvas code in the last few months and they are pretty far from being easily usable. I wrote about it before in this thread.

well i have also used canvas and i haven't found it to be unusable or unportable
maybe just your user case
have you tryded to use higher level library like Processing.js
This won't solve security issues and incompatibilities on the hardware/driver level. It's been mentioned before in this thread as well.
well the browersmakers are trying ;)
like with Google's ANGLE Project

Just because someone has different POV than you doesn't make him a fanboy. Furthermore, calling someone who's not misbehaving a fanboy is the actual act of fanboism.
just though he was overly defensive of flash instead of treading it like a tool as flash is

there have been times that flash vulnerabilities have affected all major web browsers
but with html5 all major browsers have there own implementation so it extremely unlikely that they would be all affected but it can happen if there is flaw in the specks like with the older version of WebSocket
also flash tends not to be updated by the user/company/school
while browsers do

Last edited by a moderator:
But there's another crucial thing: it's not my game to convince you with amazing links that Flash is better in some respect. It makes no sense since you can always say that you prefer something else regardless of any scale we'll use to measure how awesome something is. If you were really carving to see what Flash is capable of, you'd search for it yourself. Looking at one link and concluding that this is crap convinces me that you're not interested to see what's possible and what's not; you just want to validate your POV.
hmmm but I asked to see some good flash (in the flesh so I can judge myself) to see how it stacks up to the currently available html5/webgl stuff & thats the example you showed.
Now technically the performance in the html5/webgl is far better than the flash thing (not open to debate), yes ppl have different opinions of what looks better (more due to the art/assets than the tech)

Are people really streaming a lot of Flash video with mobile browsers?

Don't know about others but I am. With my Android tablet.

It seems Android phones support Flash but not very well (poor performance, hit on battery life).

So people were putting up with that or did they look for mobile apps. to view video instead?

I prefer going to Youtube through the browser than using the app. Same with embedded video in forums.

Then again, Tegra 2 has excellent Flash performance. AFAIK there's a good chunk of dedicated hardware for Flash in there, so I don't know how good the other dual-core SoCs are for that.

Considering it took ~15% of quadcore i7 mobile CPU (15% over 8 cores or rougly one core at 100%) just for the sd matrix, had severe problems with keeping constant frame rate, seemed to require to download the entire clip before playing and it nearly crashed Chrome after a little while I'm not all that impressed really.
what render did you use canvas or canvas/webgl

like the developer says its still very early work http://haxpath.squarespace.com/imported-20100930232226/2011/10/28/broadwayjs-h264-in-javascript.html

have you tryded to use higher level library like Processing.js
Perf and specific features were important to me so I did not use any rendering libraries (I did use jQuery for some auxiliary stuff though). I tried several solutions but they were either not performant enough or not portable enough for my needs due to the list of browsers I had to support.

well the browersmakers are trying ;)
like with Google's ANGLE Project
Good luck with that. Microsoft, company with years of experience in dealing with HW vendors, was unable to force anyone to anything but Google will surely make stuff happen, either through vendor relations or its own code. ;) NaCl is IMO still the best thing Google has to offer in the high perf applications in browsers space.

there have been times that flash vulnerabilities have affected all major web browsers
but with html5 all major browsers have there own implementation so it extremely unlikely that they would be all affected but it can happen if there is flaw in the specks like with the older version of WebSocket
also flash tends not to be updated by the user/company/school
while browsers do
This doesn't matter. 30% or 40% of the market is enough. Target Chrome or IE and you're golden. It's not true that Flash is not being updated while browsers are. Flash is rarely core component for the company, so there's no need for intranet testing and stuff. You verify what's important and push update. Browser on the other hand is something you most likely depend on if you've got a legacy stuff backing your intranet infrastructure (e.g. site using VBScript). This is the real problem if admin wants to update since most of the time stuff breaks.

hmmm but I asked to see some good flash (in the flesh so I can judge myself) to see how it stacks up to the currently available html5/webgl stuff & thats the example you showed.
You're only partially correct. You request was "are there any flash apps that equal this that I can try out" + link. I find your link pretty, well, rough and what I've showed is IMO interesting. Furthermore, there's nothing in your request that indicates you're asking about something in terms of performance. In fact there's no measure of what you want. So I gave you an interesting site AND a bunch of other link so you can read about Flash. Again: it is your problem if you make uninformed statements about technology, not mine.

Now technically the performance in the html5/webgl is far better than the flash thing (not open to debate), yes ppl have different opinions of what looks better (more due to the art/assets than the tech)
That is not true though. You're basing your opinion (which IS open to debate, it's not a fact) on no knowledge. That's weak. ;)

Then again, Tegra 2 has excellent Flash performance. AFAIK there's a good chunk of dedicated hardware for Flash in there, so I don't know how good the other dual-core SoCs are for that.
If you're referring to Flash movie playback, the dual cores of the tegra2 have little to do there - it's all hw movie codecs. The single core imx5's I have here deal with flash movies very well.

Good luck with that. Microsoft, company with years of experience in dealing with HW vendors, was unable to force anyone to anything but Google will surely make stuff happen, either through vendor relations or its own code. ;) NaCl is IMO still the best thing Google has to offer in the high perf applications in browsers space.
How do you expect Adobe to handle the hw problem in their updated Flash3D? You don't expect them to go around the gpu drivers and low-level APIs, do you?

what render did you use canvas or canvas/webgl
Only thing I changed was the movie, everything else staid as default so I believe it was just plain canvas.
like the developer says its still very early work
Yeah but that only proves my point that it's unfortunately a bit premature to ditch flash just yet.

And again, I'd absolutely love to be able to write plain-old simple HTML to get things working but I'd also want my not-as-good-with-computers friends/relatives to be capable of viewing the stuff as well without having to suffer tons of misery.

If you're referring to Flash movie playback, the dual cores of the tegra2 have little to do there - it's all hw movie codecs. The single core imx5's I have here deal with flash movies very well.

I wonder if you read the post...

If I'm saying there's dedicated hardware for flash (I don't know if they use the GPU's pixel shaders, dedicated vector units from the ISP or whatever), it's pretty obvious I'm not talking about the dual Cortex A9.

And no, it's not just movie playback. I meant general browser performance with flash-enabled webpages.

Here, I just searched that for your clarification, see pages 18-21:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/t...ing_High-End_Graphics_to_Handheld_Devices.pdf
NVIDIA has worked closely with Adobe to implement a mobile Adobe Flash Player that completely offloads all Flash-based video and game content processing to the GeForce GPU.
Offloading the Flash processing to dedicated hardware that is designed specifically for graphics tasks not only delivers much higher performance, but also improved power utilization. Another significant benefit is that the CPU is freed up to handle other applications.

The truth is that, in my Tegra 2 tablet, I really don't notice much choppiness when browsing flash-heavy webpages (not just videos but also ads, interactive menus panning vector images, etc).
I have no doubt that nVidia made Tegra 2 with a lot of thought in browsing webpages with Flash.

I wonder if you read the post...
I did, but I was thrown off by the 'other dual-core SoCs' remark at the end. So I take 50% of the blame ; )

The truth is that, in my Tegra 2 tablet, I really don't notice much choppiness when browsing flash-heavy webpages (not just videos but also ads, interactive menus panning vector images, etc).
I have no doubt that nVidia made Tegra 2 with a lot of thought in browsing webpages with Flash.
Yes, I'm well aware of tegra2's (and other SoCs too) decent flash support. The general problem with Flash is not in the inability of the SoC vendors to meet the hw requirements of the medium. It's in the time-to-market hurdles that Adobe presents to the vendors with the entire 'maybe some day plugin' model, combined with the cumbersome flash device certification process. And each time Adobe ups the Flash version, the process starts anew.

I'd dare to say getting most people to use good enough browsers with decent HTML5 support is a whole lot longer process than having them occasionally auto-update a plugin.

How long did it take before you could design half-decent pages with CSS without having to write a mountain of workarounds for random browsers?

HTML5-enabled browsers' penetration in US is around the same value Silverlight has. Yet I don't see people jumping on the SL bandwagon. ;)

That is not true though. You're basing your opinion (which IS open to debate, it's not a fact) on no knowledge. That's weak.
I will ask you for a 3rd time then
show me one link where I can try the most amazing flash demo that will blow my socks off (not a video or anything an actual flash app)
to use the phase thats popular atm, "show me the money" the ball is in your court :)

Back