WII          4.9    2.36    2.01    0.55
PSP          3.9    0.85    1.40    1.60

- US: NPD, Jan to Sep.
- JP: Media Create, Week 1 to Week 42.
- EU: Nintendo, Week 1 to Week 41.

stolen from GAF.

More numbers: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450015

Last edited by a moderator:
PS3 is putting up pretty good numbers in Japan. 18% of total sales, I thought the percentage was smaller. Japan is definitely still very relevant for them in the overall picture.

The gap in EU for PS3 is smaller than it is in NA for 360. Interesting Christmas season coming up. I wonder if the Wii can still put up a fight before and during the holidays, when it has usually been very strong. In NA the unit sales for the year are quite close on PS3 vs Wii, but lately PS3 has been much stronger.

Interesting Christmas season coming up. I wonder if the Wii can still put up a fight before and during the holidays, when it has usually been very strong. In NA the unit sales for the year are quite close on PS3 vs Wii, but lately PS3 has been much stronger.

I expect Wii will still beat PS3 over the holidays in the US. The 360 might step ahead though.

for reference
NPD Nov + December to date:
PS3: 6.87m (38.3% of total sales)
360: 11.3m (not counting 05, 11.9 with and 41.3% of total sales)
Wii: 16.3m (44.5% of total sales)

I'm not really sure why the PS3 has been relatively weaker than the 360 in the holidays (marketing perhaps?), I'm sure the casual/younger audience is the reason for the Wii advantage

I'm a little surprised at how high MS are keeping Xbox prices in the UK. Prices are the same or higher (even excluding Kinect) than they were two years ago. The cost on Amazon of the 250GB + Kinect is still £270; 4GB + Kinect is £225 - both significantly higher than the PS3 and Wii (launch) prices.

I guess the premiums MS are making on Kinect are just too attractive. They don't seen to really be attacking the mass market with Kinect just yet.

Sony have really fought hard to keep the PS3 in contention and it seems to be paying off.

PS3 will probably be the best seller this year, then Wii and then Xbox. Unless Microsoft have an emergency price cut in November, but that seems unlikely.

In September NPD PS3 had sold just 50k less than 360 and the gap between them in PAL is just going to get bigger. Unless MS respond with a price cut I expect PS3 and 360 to be equal in shipment terms by Q2 2012. We will see if Sony plan on another price cut in May next year when they release their fiscal guidance. If they predict anything over 15m it means $199, which is when the PS3 will start catching the Wii in earnest.

I still think by the time all three consoles have finished selling PS3 will be within 10m of the Wii which is something no one would have thought possible at the beginning of the generation. I suppose I'm in the minority though...

PS3 will probably be the best seller this year, then Wii and then Xbox. Unless Microsoft have an emergency price cut in November, but that seems unlikely.

Doesn't sound right... How does Wii come on top of 360 on your end? It wasn't much ahead of 360 last year and is a lot behind this year. PS3 hasn't been a stellar end of the year performer either.

"emergency" price cut ??

In September NPD PS3 had sold just 50k less than 360 and the gap between them in PAL is just going to get bigger. Unless MS respond with a price cut I expect PS3 and 360 to be equal in shipment terms by Q2 2012.

Then again I remember reading pretty much that same sentence from you last year and probably before that also. You always say such things at the moment when the PS3 is riding the high wave, but when that wave has crashed and the game has changed, you've kept quiet. It's always six months from now. Then MS has responded and things are back to zero. No offense, but that's the way I see it.

I still think by the time all three consoles have finished selling PS3 will be within 10m of the Wii which is something no one would have thought possible at the beginning of the generation. I suppose I'm in the minority though...

Well the Wii is pretty much going to get buried soon after the Wii U comes out, so if Sony sells PS3 in 2017 in the developing countries, your prediction is hardly enlightened.

TBH I don't much care who comes first in the sales figures. What impresses me is that the aggregate for consoles this gen has eclipsed other generations. Gaming as a whole has seen a massive growth. Has anyone ever produced a chart of aggregate console sales per year after launch instead of just each platform? I'd like to see how this gen compares. Could it actually be as much as twice as strong?

A little more on topic, where'd the OP get the EU figures from?

Doesn't sound right... How does Wii come on top of 360 on your end? It wasn't much ahead of 360 last year and is a lot behind this year. PS3 hasn't been a stellar end of the year performer either.

"emergency" price cut ??

A lot behind would be 800k ahead without including regions where PS3 is likely ahead? Wii is a strong holiday performer and it is super cheap right now. Parents will still buy it despite its lack of games because of the price.

Edit: Sorry, I misread your original comment, you were talking about Wii. Damn. Even so, the second statement is still true, It is cheap and parents will buy it in droves over Xmas. On the second PS3 hasn't been a stellar end of year performer then how come last Q4 is shipped 6.3m and 6.5m Q4 before that? If this thread shows anything it is that NPD =/= World. Just because PS3 is behind 360 in the US it doesn't mean it is behind WW, as can be seen from the figures in this very thread. Also, I just asked and the "EU" figures are UK, France, Germany and Spain, the "EU" figure does not include Italy, Portugal, Benelux or Scandinavia. Neither does it include Australia where PS3 has outsold 360 and Wii by 3:1 since the price cut. If these regions were included I expect the figures would be closer to 7m for PS3...

Then again I remember reading pretty much that same sentence from you last year and probably before that also. You always say such things at the moment when the PS3 is riding the high wave, but when that wave has crashed and the game has changed, you've kept quiet. It's always six months from now. Then MS has responded and things are back to zero. No offense, but that's the way I see it.

Last year MS has the Kinect effect which I, along with many people, underestimated. This year there is no such boost. Gears is the biggest game of the year for them and the effect has already been recorded, I expect MS to be down YoY every month compared to last year. Even after the massively aggressive pricing and marketing last year from MS and Kinect, they shipped just 500k more units than Sony over the period of Kinect introduction until Sony's price cut (Q4 2010 - Q2 2011) which isn't really what I would call bringing it back to zero. Especially considering in the year prior to that MS shipped 10.3m vs Sony's 14.3m over the same period (July 2009 - June 2010) so that's + 4m then the following year (i.e. last year) Sony shipped 13.7m vs 13.7m for Xbox in it's banner Kinect year vs a normal year for Sony with no special marketing or price cuts.

Bringing it back to zero? I think not. If you manipulate the figures enough like I did in the first example then sure you can pick a couple of quarters where MS sold a few hundred thousand more units, but in general since the PS3 hit $299 it has sold better. At $249 I don't see MS catching up bar a couple of months where they cut to $149 before Sony respond with $199.

Well the Wii is pretty much going to get buried soon after the Wii U comes out, so if Sony sells PS3 in 2017 in the developing countries, your prediction is hardly enlightened.

Yes, but I said the same in 2007 when people were raving about the Wii and PS3 was in the toilet. Maybe not on this forum, but elsewhere mostly because the room for Sony to drive adoption with price cuts was huge. I said it from the start that over 10 years the PS3 can average over 10m a year for massive total sales.

I don't know your forecast seems possible as MS indeed doesn't seem to want to price the 360 more aggressively. MS seems to focus on margins. It also appears that MS might focus on US, it will be interesting to see how the deal they work on with ISP and TV providers will turn out and how it affects sales and or user base (how the system ill be handed to consumer is still unknown, subscriptions may not account as sales NPD and the like for example).

A lot behind would be 800k ahead without including regions where PS3 is likely ahead? Wii is a strong holiday performer and it is super cheap right now. Parents will still buy it despite its lack of games because of the price.

The "a lot behind" was about the 360 vs the Wii and Wii didn't do much better last holidays than 360, and Wii has been on a steep decline this year. Imo it doesn't look very likely for it to sell more units this year than the 360.

edit: Noticed your edit.

Last year MS has the Kinect effect which I, along with many people, underestimated. This year there is no such boost. Gears is the biggest game of the year for them and the effect has already been recorded, I expect MS to be down YoY every month compared to last year. Even after the massively aggressive pricing and marketing last year from MS and Kinect, they shipped just 500k more units than Sony over the period of Kinect introduction until Sony's price cut (Q4 2010 - Q2 2011) which isn't really what I would call bringing it back to zero. Especially considering in the year prior to that MS shipped 10.3m vs Sony's 14.3m over the same period (July 2009 - June 2010) so that's + 3m then the following year (i.e. last year) Sony shipped 13.7m vs 13.7m for Xbox in it's banner Kinect year vs a normal year for Sony with no special marketing or price cuts.

360 is not far off its last year pace so far and is currently having the 2nd best year of it's life. I think MS pricing has been far from aggressive. Their average selling price was higher than what Sony is selling PS3 in September. MS can increase the shipments whenever they want to with a price cut. A cut they could easily afford. As of now it's debatable whether it's necessary. Even now in Europe+NPD YTD it's 360>PS3 and price cuts won't create a miracle in Japan.

Bringing it back to zero? I think not. If you manipulate the figures enough like I did in the first example then sure you can pick a couple of quarters where MS sold a few hundred thousand more units, but in general since the PS3 hit $299 it has sold better. At $249 I don't see MS catching up bar a couple of months where they cut to $149 before Sony respond with $199.

Well in general PS3 has gained a bit on 360 during it's whole lifetime, but reducing the gap from something like 8 million to 2 million in five years, with long periods of things staying pretty much the same, I'd say that MS's responses have often brought it back to zero basically.

Last year MS has the Kinect effect which I, along with many people, underestimated. This year there is no such boost.

Kinect is still there, and it's still selling. And at a high price!

Even after the massively aggressive pricing and marketing last year from MS and Kinect...

I think I missed the massively aggressive pricing bit. Unless you mean that MS have been aggressively pushing the price of the 360 back up, which is certainly true in the UK. A 4GB 360 + Kinect bundle is currently significantly more expensive than the PS3. If MS put the 4GB Kinect bundle out for £150 then that'd be them starting to get aggressive on price.

And a cheap Kinect bundle would give them an enormous Christmas boost.

There's no way the average selling price of the 360 is higher in the EU. PS3 is like £80 more expensive.

Maybe my math is off but that doesn't seem £80 cheaper for the 360.
not you math but your apples to apples comparison is somewhat lacking (I hereby find the defendant guilty of cherry picking ;))

i.e. youre comparing console & game & accessory vs console & game & film
FWIW Kinect Sensor with Kinect Adventures (Xbox 360) price = 99.98 quid
now resistence 3 costs £37.90 and also the blu-ray film (perhaps 50 pounds) :)

heres a more honest comparison is perhaps
cheapest xbox vs cheapest ps3 on amazon.co.uk

Sony PlayStation 3 Slim Console 189
Xbox 360 4GB Console 139

or perhaps best selling xbox360 console vs best selling ps3 console

Xbox 360 250GB Console - Matte Black Finish 189.99
Sony Playstation3 160GB Slim Console 189.00

Yes, the Kinect bundles shouldn't be used as a comparison as that assumes it's the top selling SKU, or is a SKU selling in such quantities that it pushes the average way up. Unless we have good evidence that the EU is mostly buying Kinect bundles, I think it safer to assume XB360 is not more expensive.

Neither is comparing a 160GB model to a 4GB model. PS3 with 160GB vs 360 with 250GB is imo the most even comparison, if with similar software bundles. Going from 160GB to 250GB wont net you anything worth talking about, but going from 4GB to 160GB does. with the HDD skus the prices are similar in Europe. My earlier comment about the higher ASP was with regards to September NPD only and it does include the Kinect raising the prices.

Back