GTA V announced [2011] , [2021-11-11]

I'm pretty shocked by the difference, even if it was a little bit to be expected, it still looks great. I didn't even play the PS3 version GTA V very much yet, and I'm still tempted to get this. Though then again it was partly the PS4's release that cut the GTA V playtime short, so that makes some sense. But yeah, it really looks great and I look forward to seeing more of the game when someone is actually playing it.

Agreed. Every 3D GTA seems to have a bug/'feature' where every car is suddenly either the same model or the same group of models. You'll pull into a street and everyone is driving a Porsche or a particular intersection would be full of nothing but 4x4s. I'd love to know why it happens. Maybe the code which spawns vehicles is aware of memory pressure and gets less diverse the less resources are available, hoping the player won't notice.

Well, the game is set up so that certain vehicles appear in certain areas. If you want the 4x4 you can go out into the country and find a mess of them, if you want a mustang clone, there's a couple of neighborhoods where they are just everywhere. Same with higher-class areas that spawn the Porsche's and other luxury vehicles.

I agree that it would be nice if they could work on changing that a bit. I know I searched for a bit to find a mustang to match my real-life car and then after finally being victorious and thinking I was so cool, a few hours later I found the neighborhood/area where there were just mustangs on every single corner and multiple ones lined up right after each other at every stoplight.

But it is kind of nice to also know that if you want a Suburban truck, you need to head to a certain place and you'll find one in no time at all.

I agree though, whatever percentage of spawn chance of vehicle type they are using should be lowered. So there's a high probability that you'll find X vehicle in Y area, but it shouldn't be as high as it is.

Are you guys talking about online or story mode? The online mode is where the gimping is worse because of the overhead of being online. I haven't actually noticed any unusually high duplicate cars in campaign.

Tech Analysis: Grand Theft Auto 5 on PS4

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-grand-theft-auto-5-trailer-ps4-tech-analysis

According to Rockstar, all of the footage was captured on a PS4, so we're going to run with that assumption here and take a closer look, comparing the trailer with PS3 captures produced by YouTube channel GTA Series Videos, who saved us an immense amount of time by sharing their raw footage with us (check out their PS3 trailer reconstruction further on in this article).

Kicking off, perhaps the most obvious improvement concerns the sheer wealth of life added to the game. Traffic count is hugely increased and there are a wealth of NPCs compared to last-gen, transforming the city environments. More natural elements receive a significant overhaul as well: water looks more realistic, trees are almost entirely redrawn giving them a much fuller appearance while huge fields of grass have been added where once there were none. What's impressive about this is that all of this foliage now appears to react more realistically to objects and characters passing through. On top of that, Rockstar has also sought to increase the realism by introducing new wildlife, with the trailer giving the impression of richly populated environments outside of the cityscape - a new 'rural' class of NPC, if you like.

Beyond that we see plenty of models replaced and improved with higher-quality meshes. For example, the large yellow dump truck demonstrates a tremendous difference in model quality, with much rounder wheels alongside smaller details right down to modelled screws. The red vehicle shown later in the trailer doesn't appear particularly different on the surface but the quick view of the interior shows a complete transformation, with higher-resolution textures and much more detailed modelling work. Even incidental details, such as the train tracks next to the lumber yard, appear to feature more realistic geometry in conjunction with texture improvements to create a better illusion of depth.

Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't look 1080p. If thats true, then its a vindication for watchdogs.

Occasionally it looks like they cut back on the spawning of distant vehicles for the nextgen version. If you look at that 2nd last scene with the vehicles on the overpass you'll see trucks being rendered in the distance on the ps3 version, while those same distant streets are empty in the nextgen version.
Start the digital foundry video at 4:42

Perhaps the developers felt spawning cars off to the side when driving on an overpass could be cut given your camera is pointed forward +95% of the time on an overpass with zero opertunity to turn left or right. Also with the tall girders blocking your left/right view over the underpass you generally pay even less attention to whats happening on the streets below. Also maybe it was a necessary optimization for performance sake, the consoles are a big improvement, but not magic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the game will look closer to some bullshots R* released or to one of the first reveal trailer If I remember.

vsfd.jpg

Not entirely sure about tessellation. I don't think there's any info on how Rockstar builds their characters but it could be possible that they're texturing the high res, so they could simply build a more detailed lowpoly and do another bake to get higher res characters. We'll see.

those comments on the pic are quite weird.

Anyone who classifies effects as DX11 and then talks as if that has any impact on what is possible on consoles cannot be taken seriously.

So it's a bunch of stuff made up by an unknown internet poster based on what he thinks is going on. Thanks, that would be enough.

Back