GTA V announced [2011] , [2021-11-11]

If we're talking about story, I would rate it at "okay". I wasn't really playing it for that, though... there's just so much to DO in the game, I had a blast all the way through, and I haven't even really started on the 100% completion. Long way to go yet. :)
Ditto. An astonishing concept I know, but I play games for the gameplay. If it has a good story as well (Uncharted, Infamous), that's a bonus but I often find I am playing games in spite of the story (Far Cry 3).

I don't think GTA V's story was bad, it just didn't do anything for me. They fell into the same trap of making the people you do many missions for dicks. I wouldn't do it IRL, I hate doing it in games.

Yeah, I'll definitely be playing it some more in the future. Waiting for the bad taste to clear out of my head first. I kept hoping there were more
heist missions
so I kept plodding through the storyline for too long. Soon I'll be back in the mood to blow shit up >:D

I like the story quite a bit, simply because it didn't try too hard, as too many games tend to do... It knows it's a video game, it knows that it's not taken seriously, and it gives you a fun, simple, silly story to pull you through. It's not trying to make you feel anything, and is full of some hilarious commentary on modern capitalism and fear-based politics.

In other words, it just fit. It fit the game perfectly.

Definately my favorite story of all the GTAs and the one I was most easily able to finish without losing attention.

My main complaint would be the family stuff with Micheal, which tended to drag and seemed a bit unnecessary.

Well, I am progessing nicely in this game and have to say, I am really loving it. Best ever GTA so far (and I really liked the last one).

I do have one question though. I have just about completed my fourth heist (the FIB one) and Michael has about 1.1 million, Franklin I think 700k, Trevor around 500k. I haven't bought any properties and have tried to hold back on Franklins 'Lester' missions in order to have more money to invest. I did do the 'Debonair' Lester mission though - to give an idea where I am on the assassination missions. From what I understand, I still have two more assassination missions to go with Franklin.

Now, should I wait with them and continue to do the normal story missions or do I need to get started on the franklin missions? I think I am slowly coming to the end of the story and I think the next heist is the 'big one'.... will I still be able to complete the Franklin's Lester missions after that one or do I need to get started before it's too late?

What happens when you complete the game? Can you still fool around and make money or is it finished? Never really completed a GTA game before (I actually got stuck on the last mission in the last GTA, so I have no idea what happens).

Any advice?

My main complaint would be the family stuff with Micheal, which tended to drag and seemed a bit unnecessary.

Really? I thought the family stuff was just about the only piece of narrative in the game that went somewhere. I also thought they all became kinda endearing over the course of the game, albeit in their own odd ways.

I thought the rest of the story was pretty forgettable. Anti-climactic finale if I ever saw one.

My biggest gripe with GTA5 (and loads of other open world games) has nothing to do with the narrative, though. Why is it that these games never even try to capitalize on their open-world strengths during missions?

May I ask about the graphic performance of GTA online?

What's the resolution and anti-aliasing method of GTA online? Is there any graphical difference between PS3-360 version such as resolution or framerate? Thanks!

May I ask about the graphic performance of GTA online?

What's the resolution and anti-aliasing method of GTA online? Is there any graphical difference between PS3-360 version such as resolution or framerate? Thanks!

Online is the same as single player, but there are less cars and pedestrians on the road (I think), most likely because of network performance, not local performance.

Online does not use the highest LOD of its vehicles though. As means to save memory for networking and such.

Online does not use the highest LOD of its vehicles though. As means to save memory for networking and such.

Really? To be honest, I hadn't noticed any difference. Could very well be. I'll have to pay close attention when switching back and forth.

Couple of questions...

1. Anyone get all or part of their "Stimulus Package" yet?
  2. Is BAWSAQ simply unavailable in GTA: Online or is it just not available until reaching a certain RP level (much like some of the other activities)?
BAWSAQ is fine if I switch over to the single player campaign, but shows specifically as being unavailable in GTA: Online.

So far, I'm enjoying the online component. Has a nice sense of hustle and street grind to it. With a strange bit of voyeurism unexpectedly thrown in via the apartment's TV. While I would love a Cross-Buy promotion for the inevitable next-gen version, I think I would consider double dipping to continue playing the online mode. Which for me is strange since in general I don't game online much, and so far in GTA I've only really participated in online missions that support 1 player minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stimulus package has been delayed because the haven't ironed out the bugs that are causing players to lose their progress. It would be kind of dumb to give out the money and then have people lose it all again.

Well, this thread seems to have died. Has everybody finished the game and found multiplayer un-fun or is it just the new consoles that are squishing this out?

Anyway, I have some questions about the single player game in case you guys can help:

1) I got a parachute at one of the cable car locations and it shows on the weapons wheel to the side in grey so you can't select it. Right after I got it, I tried jumping off the top of the mountain and fell to my death without the parachute opening. What? Is there something you need to do to select the parachute? I keep reading that it opens automatically but that didn't happen. Do I need to complete a certain mission first before it works, even though I've found one?

2) Has anybody found a way to play the stock market? I've been searching online and except for the Lester missions (which don't count), there's little advice and the advice that is there is often contradictory. For example: It was originally talked about that you could buy stock in one company and then kill/blow up/destroy their competitors and this would lower their competitors stock prices and increase yours. This is often mentioned in a lot of the tips, walkthroughs, etc. But I've seen a few more lately (main one was from IGN) where he demonstrated that doing this doesn't do a damn thing and that the only thing he can figure out is that the entire stock market is completely random and doesn't have dick to do with what you do in the game. (Except for the Lester missions)

If that's the case, it's really disappointing. Even more disappointing is what other people have said lately is that the stock tracking charts showing the history of the stock's performance isn't accurate so you can't even pick stocks based upon historical highs, trends, current prices, etc.

Is the whole thing just a crap shoot?

3) I don't want to spoiler anything here but I don't think this is: Apparently after you finish the main story mission you get a fist full of dollars. The repeated advice is to save the Lester missions until after you finish the main story so you can leverage Lester's advice to really clean up in the stock market. My question is: Uhh... So WHAT?

Why would I want 30 billion dollars after I've already finished the game? Is this just some completionist crap because you can't get 100% complete unless you buy the ridiculously priced golf club? We already know that the money in the single player campaign doesn't go to your GTA Online characters and if GTA IV was any indication, any future DLC will involve completely new stories with completely new characters so the money won't be of any use in them either. So why would I want to run around with 30 billion dollars after I've finished the game?

...anybody got any thoughts on these?

Thanks in advance.

Well, this thread seems to have died. Has everybody finished the game and found multiplayer un-fun or is it just the new consoles that are squishing this out?

I'm still playing single player too.

1) I got a parachute at one of the cable car locations and it shows on the weapons wheel to the side in grey so you can't select it. Right after I got it, I tried jumping off the top of the mountain and fell to my death without the parachute opening. What? Is there something you need to do to select the parachute? I keep reading that it opens automatically but that didn't happen. Do I need to complete a certain mission first before it works, even though I've found one?

I killed myself several times when I first tried to parachute too! You do not need to select the parachute in the inventory and I don't think you need a mission. However, it does not open automatically. If you have a chute, when you jump you should automatically go into the skydiving position with the chute on your back. It may take a second or two, make sure you have enough room where you jump off and don't hit the side of the mountain too soon. Then hit x button for ps3, not sure what for 360, to open the chute.

Don't really know about the other stuff. Haven't done much with the stock market except when Lester commented on something.

I've got another question for anybody that can answer:

How do you view your current car's stats? I mean in terms of armor, acceleration, etc..? How do I know if I pick up a car from my garage that it's been fully upgraded or if it's just stock?

The only way I've been keeping them straight so far is by making sure I change the paint scheme to something crazy that you can't just jack on the road so I know that it's already been outfitted.

There's got to be another way, right?

Because suddenly, I don't know what I did, but all of my top level improvements just opened up. When I was first upgrading my cars because I bought the shop as Franklin, I could only get 4/5 because the 5th level was locked. But now I can buy all the way up to the best, but I'm not sure which vehicles are already 4/5 or which ones are just stock, or what?

2) Has anybody found a way to play the stock market? I've been searching online and except for the Lester missions (which don't count), there's little advice and the advice that is there is often contradictory. For example: It was originally talked about that you could buy stock in one company and then kill/blow up/destroy their competitors and this would lower their competitors stock prices and increase yours. This is often mentioned in a lot of the tips, walkthroughs, etc. But I've seen a few more lately (main one was from IGN) where he demonstrated that doing this doesn't do a damn thing and that the only thing he can figure out is that the entire stock market is completely random and doesn't have dick to do with what you do in the game. (Except for the Lester missions)

If that's the case, it's really disappointing. Even more disappointing is what other people have said lately is that the stock tracking charts showing the history of the stock's performance isn't accurate so you can't even pick stocks based upon historical highs, trends, current prices, etc.

Is the whole thing just a crap shoot?

I'm still learning. I just completed the game and have about 28 million per character, which is quite a modest amount compared to those that have saved up the Lester missios and played the stock market. As for the talk about buying stock in one company and blowing up the other - that sort of sounds a bit like some of the Lester missions or in-game events. I have read though that it's possible to buy stocks from a car company and then trash all the cars you can find to influence the stock market... so on some level, it's definately game-event dependant.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure some of the stocks are not. For instance, with the 28 million that I currently have, I have saved up one last Lester mission and by searching a bit online, it's very clear what stocks I would have to buy before the I start the mission. When I check the online market though, it seems that particular stock fluctuates quite a bit - low around $240, high and currently $353. Since the graph flactuates on a daily basis going from high to low, I figured I just wait for it to hit the low and then start the mission. Funny thing is though - while the date changes, the chart does not. The current always stays at $353 and no matter what I do, it stays there.

Last time I checked, it was even more weird. The graph had it showing down at $243, yet when I wanted to buy some, it told me it was at $352. What the hell?!?

I get that some stocks are supposed to stay what they are due to the Lester missions, but at least, the graph should be somewhat representative of what it costs...

3) I don't want to spoiler anything here but I don't think this is: Apparently after you finish the main story mission you get a fist full of dollars. The repeated advice is to save the Lester missions until after you finish the main story so you can leverage Lester's advice to really clean up in the stock market. My question is: Uhh... So WHAT?

Why would I want 30 billion dollars after I've already finished the game? Is this just some completionist crap because you can't get 100% complete unless you buy the ridiculously priced golf club? We already know that the money in the single player campaign doesn't go to your GTA Online characters and if GTA IV was any indication, any future DLC will involve completely new stories with completely new characters so the money won't be of any use in them either. So why would I want to run around with 30 billion dollars after I've finished the game?

...anybody got any thoughts on these?

Good question. I guess so that you can keep dying and waking up at the hospital for $5000. At least, that's how I've been putting my millions to use. Apart from that though, the game seems to offer a lot of possibilities after you complete it. Chances are, you still have a lot of side-quests/mission that you can complete and there are heaps of people you can date. I actually haven't reached the point yet, where I am bored of it. And then there's still the part where you can buy cars, helicopters, planes and tune them. Or properties. The question in the end remains though.. for what, if you at that point have reduced the game to a mix of the Sims and SimCity with a lot of cash?

It's really a petty you can't transfer it to your online profile... :mad:

This game is currently stuck inside my dead OG PS3 that died last week. I probably lost about 10 hrs of progress since I wasn't syncing with the cloud often.

I think I'm just going to wait for the PS4 version now.

This game is currently stuck inside my dead OG PS3 that died last week. I probably lost about 10 hrs of progress since I wasn't syncing with the cloud often.

I think I'm just going to wait for the PS4 version now.

Ugggh, that's such a drag.

I'm actually a big fan of this game, but I made the mistake of jumping into the online and playing that a lot before I'd finished the story. Now I'm having a hard time finishing story mode, because I've sort of used all the vehicles and seen all of the map, and done all the stuff there is to do. Gotta finish it though, and finish up all these current gen games.

Yeah, I'm not sure I really want to spend the time to take it apart to get at the disc either. And I'll be busy with PS4 now anyways so I think the last gen ship has officially sailed for me.

Back