GTA V announced [2011] , [2021-11-11]

Bludd

Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
Veteran
Untitled-10.jpg

http://www.rockstargames.com/

Trailer is coming on November 2nd.

Put this in console forum because past games have come out on console before PC, hopefully this changes this time around but I am not holding my breath. Going console first is Rockstar's MO.

Hope they can get me interested in the gameplay this time. I did buy IV for the PC, but the framerates were so bad even though I could cruise through Crysis on Full HD, that I never could get sucked into the game.

ANd I got supremely bored of driving to one point , watching a cutscene, and driving all the way back, watching a cutscene, driving again to another point, watching a cutscene..............
Not my idea of fun at all. Wish it changes this time around.

I don't know what it is about Rockstar games, but I've never gotten in to them.

I'm always happy when I see good games that I just don't like. It's a good sign for the industry when not everyone has to have the same taste.

Cool, hope it takes a while though as I have too many games to play at the moment! A WiiU launch title would be interesting though. It would suggest that maybe the WiiU and presumably PC versions might have some pretty worthwhile graphical improvements over the older consoles.

Word on the street is that it's a WiiU launch title and a timed exclusive on that plaform.

I'd assume only because the other two won't be ready in time because Nintendo obtaining a deal like that doesn't make much sense. I'd be surprised if it released without any delays in any case. Edit: And I suppose why they'd leave the 360 base on the table too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what it is about Rockstar games, but I've never gotten in to them.

Me neither, but I'd say I just don't care for open-world games as such. There's just so much to do that it becomes overwhelming to how I want to enjoy the games.

That said, I'm more curious about the tech side of things. ;)

Me neither, but I'd say I just don't care for open-world games as such. There's just so much to do that it becomes overwhelming to how I want to enjoy the games.

That said, I'm more curious about the tech side of things. ;)

Whatever's going on is more subtle for me. I love for example Assassin's Creed, Oblivion and Batman (although for whatever reason hated Fallout).

I can explain liking AC and Batman I think based on the fact that I really enjoy in those games the way that you traverse the world.

Oblivion I think hooks me because the world is so rich.

The worlds in Fallout and GTA are always so... lifeless though. Fallout's worlds are basically empty. GTA's worlds are full of people that don't matter. It gets to me in that you're given this big sandbox, but if you actually want to progress, you have to pretend that most of it isn't there.

In Crackdown (the original), you could beat the game by just wandering in to the boss lairs and going on a rampage. If you do that in GTA you'll just get immediately murdered by the cops. You're punished for wanting to have a bit of funs with the tools they give you. I never really got it.

Whatever's going on is more subtle for me. I love for example Assassin's Creed, Oblivion and Batman (although for whatever reason hated Fallout).

I can explain liking AC and Batman I think based on the fact that I really enjoy in those games the way that you traverse the world.

Oblivion I think hooks me because the world is so rich.

The worlds in Fallout and GTA are always so... lifeless though. Fallout's worlds are basically empty. GTA's worlds are full of people that don't matter. It gets to me in that you're given this big sandbox, but if you actually want to progress, you have to pretend that most of it isn't there.

In Crackdown (the original), you could beat the game by just wandering in to the boss lairs and going on a rampage. If you do that in GTA you'll just get immediately murdered by the cops. You're punished for wanting to have a bit of funs with the tools they give you. I never really got it.

My biggest gripe with R* games is that they have insane production values but usually play like crap. The simple act of controlling Nico in GTAIV was a royal pain in the ass (f*** that laggy Euphoria crap), and gunplay still felt at least one generation behind. To make matters worse it all takes place inside a giant city with nothing for you to do in besides driving from one mission marker to the next while rolling over meaningless pedestrians.
Now compare that to Arkham City with its refined gameplay and boatload of content, the snappy controls of Infamous or the nearly effortless traversal system in Assassin's Creed.

GTA 4 is over 3 years old now. I played it not long ago, and visually it is still in many ways fantastic. Control is laggy at times, but Red Dead Redemption didn't suffer from the same problem. I'm expecting very big things from this one. There is no reason for me to believe that they won't have made massive improvements from GTA4 over the course of the last three years. Maybe we'll get a taste of the kind of responsive shooting controls they can have when we see Max Payne 3. RDR was a big improvement in that regard already. This GTA 5 will be running on a Rage engine 2 generations (RDR, Max Payne 3) removed from GTA 4. I'm guessing it won't be released until late 2012 (christmas), at the earliest. Max Payne 3 is their game for spring 2012.

I'm looking at this as an extension of red Dead as far as quality goes. RDR showed us how the tech from GTA4 had advanced, so take that and imagine GTA5 on an improved RDR engine? Uh hell yes please.

I love open world games

Max Payne 3 should be showing some gameplay vids soon, and it is running on the latest iteration of Rage. Might give some indications of where there might be improvements, even though it's obviously not open world, which changes things a little.

Another point to make. 360 disc capacity has now increased, or they might go for a multi-disc solution on 360. If they go multi, how would they structure the game to make that work? PS3 obviously won't have any probs in that regard.

Back