TES V: Skyrim

No, I just fired it up for a minute or two after the 3GB update was finished. I might check it later tonight.

I just roamed around Western Watch Tower and Whiterun. According to GPU-Z, maximum video memory used was 1452 MB. This is with vanilla Skyrim. (Only official high rez texture pack DLC is installed).

I found a giant mudcrab yesterday. I took some screenshots of it. Has anyone else encountered this?

I spent most of my weekend playing, last time I checked the time played was 146 hours under my belt. I have a long way to go, also. Haven't even touched the main quest, been exploring a lot. I want to start over and make a thief once I get bored of my warrior, but I kind of enjoy destroying everything with a 2 handed weapon. I dabbled with one handed and early encounters are a real pain in the ass. I kept getting smoked by dragons and found it rather obnoxious that you can't block while dual wielding.

I 'rebooted' my character late last week; basically I deleted all but the first three saves and reloaded from there. I like the character, but wanted to go a different route. The last ~100 hours were spent in the same way as Oblivion: wander, loot, etc. This time I'm focused on doing the main quest and any specific branches that come directly from it. So far it has been a radically different experience :)

I'm also trying the necro-mage method that was posted in the YouTube videos in the prior page. Pretty bad-ass so far :D

Still playing my first char. Doubt I'll make a new one until Bethy releases some kind of expansion to add a major amount of new content.

Where can I find large amounts of daedra to kill and loot? Or even a few... Chrissakes, Morrowind was full of daedric ruins, and there isn't a single one in Skyrim! (I've already done the Mehrunes Dagger and Azura's Star questlines, and there were only a couple daedra in those.)

One thing that struck me today, first time in a long while since I last played, is that the game seems to run even smoother than it used to. Methinks Bethy updated engine performance again in the latest patch, or that's the way it feels like anyhow. I haven't run any benchmarks at all, but just running around in the outside world, and it remains fluid now even with lots of trees and snow and stuff that could make the game choppy.

Gamebryo running smoothly without multiple generations of hardware upgrades, whodathunkit! :LOL:

Where can I find large amounts of daedra to kill and loot? Or even a few... Chrissakes, Morrowind was full of daedric ruins, and there isn't a single one in Skyrim! (I've already done the Mehrunes Dagger and Azura's Star questlines, and there were only a couple daedra in those.)

You may find some Dremora in Shalidor's Maze in the Labyrinthian, too. There aren't too many places with Dremora in Skyrim though.

What do you want to loot from Dremora? If it's daedra hearts, you can buy them from a guy in the Mage's College (I don't remember his name, but he said he has "something unusual" for sale).

You may find some Dremora in Shalidor's Maze in the Labyrinthian, too. There aren't too many places with Dremora in Skyrim though.

What do you want to loot from Dremora? If it's daedra hearts, you can buy them from a guy in the Mage's College (I don't remember his name, but he said he has "something unusual" for sale).
Hmmm, didn't know about the Dremora there. But I usually get my daedra hearts from alchemists (they don't carry them all the time, so you have to visit a few before seeing one, usually). There are also a couple sitting in various places. One is in the alchemist's hut in Blackreach. Another is in the quarters of the leader of the Companions.

Chrissakes, Morrowind was full of daedric ruins, and there isn't a single one in Skyrim! (I've already done the Mehrunes Dagger and Azura's Star questlines, and there were only a couple daedra in those.)
Well, the main quest of Oblivion was to close the gates to Oblivion, after all. So the daedra can't get through much any longer...

Hurm, well yea, that makes sense. I never did get around to playing through Oblivion; my PC was too weak when it first came out and when I later upgraded I didn't feel like reinstalling it and starting over again...

As for why I want to kill them, no reason really other than they're big tough guys so they might not simply go down in one or two hits like many opponents do now when I'm level 80. Oh, and yeah, they drop hearts, which I'll need for crafting daedric arrows with an addon I downloaded yesterday from the steam workshop.

I know they're available from alchemists and sometimes in various places in the world, but only in quite low amounts (an alchemist typically only has one in stock, and that's if he has any at all...)

You can also check out the mod "Wars in Skyrim".
It adds many random encounters in the world, including Daedra. With that installed, you'll always have plenty daedra harts in your inventory.

Can you summon a dedra and then kill it?

Summoned creatures disappear when you kill them, but sometimes you can exploit the game right when you kill the creature to steal stuff from it before it hits the ground. Dunno if that works in Skyrim, it did in Oblivion...

Summoned creatures disappear when you kill them, but sometimes you can exploit the game right when you kill the creature to steal stuff from it before it hits the ground. Dunno if that works in Skyrim, it did in Oblivion...

That was what I thought. I don't know about it in skyrim though. I never finished it. Played 58 hours though.

You can also check out the mod "Wars in Skyrim".
Thanks, that sounds intriguing. I've been longing for some more action TBH. Is it available on Steam Workshop? I searched on the name you gave and didn't find anything unfortunately... :(

Anyone remember when Oblivion was released, there were a few mods I wish would come to Skyrim. There was one called "Natural Environments", which added a boatload of dynamic and completely randomized, higher-than-vanilla definition weather effects. Also, a texture mod called "Qarl's Texture Overhaul", which basically added bump mapping to almost every texture. Since Skyrim's graphics are by default, much better than Oblivion's, I don't long for Qarl's as much. But, I wish someone would make a decent weather overhaul, on the same page as NE. There were varying degrees of weather intensity, which made it really cool. Like rain, for example, would vary from a light sprinkle to a complete downpour, equipped with thunder and lightening. I've done a little research for some weather mods, but can't find any that look anywhere near as polished as NE. Anyone know of any?

How hard would it be to port that stuff, considering it's still horrid ol' Gamebryo running underneath both games?

Also, new patch out, with killcams for ranged attacks and some other random stuff (less crashing for example, or so they claim anyway... :p)

I'd love a really good weather mod. Currently running a realistic lighting, amazing water and sounds of skyrim mods (plus a few armor mods) and I've never experienced anything remotely close to Skyrim.

Update 1.5 notes

NEW FEATURES

New cinematic kill cameras for projectile weapons and spells
New kill moves and animations for melee weapons
Shadows on grass available (PC)
Smithing skill increases now factor in the created item’s value
Improved visual transition when going underwater
Improved distance LOD transition for snowy landscapes

+ lots of bug fixes

Finally no stupid iron daggers to 100 in no time?

Nice find, Malo.

Those first two bullets were ideas from that Game Jam Sizzle Reel that was shown a month or so ago. And I'm pretty sure you're right about the smithing skill tree work.

Back