TES V: Skyrim

Oh, I also found out that smithing doesn't max out at 100. I enchanted some armor to put smithing up to 200, and made some stupidly-powerful dragonscale armor and daedric weapons. Apparently you can do even better if you get alchemy up and engage in a nice little loop:

+enchantment potion
Use +enchantment potion to enchant better +alchemy armor
Use +alchemy armor to make better +enchantment potions

...and repeat until you're ready to use the +enchantment potions to make some +blacksmithing gear and some sick gear enchants.

I haven't gotten alchemy up very far yet, though, so I can't be sure how high you can go.

Armor ratings past 567 or something close to that, don't add any benefit. There is a cap.

Honestly my character is overpowered as is. I don't see the need for one hit, kill anything weapons.

I knew about the alchemy stuff but trying to get all that is just too much grinding for me, esp since you can become very powerful without that much effort.

Armor ratings past 567 or something close to that, don't add any benefit. There is a cap.

Honestly my character is overpowered as is. I don't see the need for one hit, kill anything weapons.

I knew about the alchemy stuff but trying to get all that is just too much grinding for me, esp since you can become very powerful without that much effort.
Yeah, I largely feel the same way. I never got alchemy that high because the grinding on ingredients was just way too tedious. Plus you have to get alchemy basically to max to produce potions that are remotely competitive with the potions you pick up. It doesn't help that the ingredients and potions are quite heavy (though there is a mod for that).

And let me just say that the daedric sword and dagger that I improved with 200 smithing are pretty insanely powerful.

"R" to store stuff in bodies or containers no longer work for me, it's impossible to transfer anything off of my toon's body, short of selling it. This fucking interface is fucking driving me fucking insane!

Such a great game, and so badly let down by these piece of shit menus, it's incomprehensible how ANYONE could think this is even remotely a good system!

It plays on a Pentium 4, 3.0+ghz machine too. Playable enough for me on my P4 3.0 at medium settings with the resolution below 1920x1080. Don't know it that was mentioned above already ..lots of pages.

Only 90%? I'm already over 100, and my enchanting's only about halfway leveled & perked.

That's 90% additional bonus just from enchantement on 2 objects. My one handed skill itself is only 60 something since I'm really a destruction Mage. Now that I my destruction upto 100, I'll start working on upping my one handed skill. Bumped upto the difficulty to make things a bit more exciting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I also found out that smithing doesn't max out at 100. I enchanted some armor to put smithing up to 200, and made some stupidly-powerful dragonscale armor and daedric weapons. Apparently you can do even better if you get alchemy up and engage in a nice little loop:

+enchantment potion
Use +enchantment potion to enchant better +alchemy armor
Use +alchemy armor to make better +enchantment potions

...and repeat until you're ready to use the +enchantment potions to make some +blacksmithing gear and some sick gear enchants.

I haven't gotten alchemy up very far yet, though, so I can't be sure how high you can go.
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20366

But noone should go with Armor rating that high, there is 80% physical damage resistance cap and it can be achieved with about 600 armor rating.

That makes really high level armor a bit pointless, does it not? I'd have to double check this, but I believe my sneaky Nightingale armor set is probably around the 600 armor range already. (with 100 in smithing)

That makes really high level armor a bit pointless, does it not? I'd have to double check this, but I believe my sneaky Nightingale armor set is probably around the 600 armor range already. (with 100 in smithing)

It makes very high level armor pointless. There's actually a pretty good thread about it here:

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/481577-skyrims-armor-system-is-broken/

When the CS is released hopefully this and a ton of other stuff can be addressed.

So I believe this character's days are pretty much over. My save game has somehow reached the point where loading a new grid causes the game to crash. I *think* this is what's happening anyway. I had someone else try a test save game and reproduce it consistently.

If anyone else would like to try: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21633524/s182.7z

Follow the road, going past the horse. After following the road a bit you'll hit a crash. Or so it goes for me and someone else. It really sucks that there is no logging.
Some other stuff: saving just before the crash sometimes allows it to be bypassed, but this is suboptimal because it just defers the crash to the next grid (or whatever else would cause the crash). I'd have to inch my way along, discovering crashes by crashing, and saving just before they occur the second time around.

So I believe this character's days are pretty much over. My save game has somehow reached the point where loading a new grid causes the game to crash. I *think* this is what's happening anyway. I had someone else try a test save game and reproduce it consistently.

If anyone else would like to try: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21633524/s182.7z

Follow the road, going past the horse. After following the road a bit you'll hit a crash. Or so it goes for me and someone else. It really sucks that there is no logging.
Some other stuff: saving just before the crash sometimes allows it to be bypassed, but this is suboptimal because it just defers the crash to the next grid (or whatever else would cause the crash). I'd have to inch my way along, discovering crashes by crashing, and saving just before they occur the second time around.
This might be a good thing to post to the Bethesda forums. If it's reproducible, maybe they can figure out the problem and fix it in a future patch.

There should be a patch (1.4) coming sometime next week. The LAA issues are being addressed with it.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20366

But noone should go with Armor rating that high, there is 80% physical damage resistance cap and it can be achieved with about 600 armor rating.
The cap is 576, which does require some beefcake enchantments and alchemy, I think. My smithing is around 85 or so, and I just made a set of Legendary Ebony gear, and my armor's only up to around 440. Granted, that's not fully beefed up... my enchanted Smithing gear isn't as good as it will eventually be (it's only a total of maybe +40%), and I wasn't using any potions. I don't plan to go ludicrously overboard with it, my goal's just to hit the armor cap, probably with Daedric gear (it's actually better than Dragonbone, unless I can hit the cap with Dragonbone).

Still, I'm pretty OP at the moment, and I'm only level 31.

Does dragonbone count as heavy armor? If yes, I guess glass is end of the road for light armor...

Anyone know a good source for high-end smithing ingredients? I can make glass stuff now, but I have no malachite left now to refine my gear with, so my elven gear actually is better. :(

This latest Skyrim patch actually made game stability WORSE for me, if possible. I've had loads of instances where the game just hasn't been loading textures, showing solid purple shaded polys instead, or simply nothing at all. The elf at the drunken huntsman shop for example had just a transparent lightmap for a face, and the temple of whatshername, also in whitereach, had half the floor and most of the walls missing for example, and that was after only playing a very short while. I've also had numerous CTDs today.

Does dragonbone count as heavy armor? If yes, I guess glass is end of the road for light armor...

Anyone know a good source for high-end smithing ingredients? I can make glass stuff now, but I have no malachite left now to refine my gear with, so my elven gear actually is better. :(

This latest Skyrim patch actually made game stability WORSE for me, if possible. I've had loads of instances where the game just hasn't been loading textures, showing solid purple shaded polys instead, or simply nothing at all. The elf at the drunken huntsman shop for example had just a transparent lightmap for a face, and the temple of whatshername, also in whitereach, had half the floor and most of the walls missing for example, and that was after only playing a very short while. I've also had numerous CTDs today.

Dragonbone is heavy. Dragonscale is the light armor equivalent.

Dragonscale armor is Light Armor, Dragonbone is the Heavy type. I think the Scale armor actually looks a little better. Check the stats on it, though, to see if it's actually better than Glass (I know Daedric armor has a higher armor rating than Dragonbone, but it depends if you're hitting the cap or not.. if both types can hit 576, then they're effectively equal).

You get to craft both types by picking the single dragon whatchamacallits perk in the middle of the tree?

I haven't managed to grind smithing up to 100 yet... It's surprisingly easy to level though as long as you got gold. The vendors in whiterun seem to restock on leather and iron every day pretty much.

Went a little bit crazy too earlier tonight. I couldn't find the right button to favorite my new glass dagger, so i managed to drop it on the ground in front of a guard. The fucker threatened to send me to jail for a month so I snuck up behind him and backstabbed him. Then I tried to kill every single sonofabitch in whiterun, including the Jarl, but a whole lot of NPCs are unkillable, and as soon as I got close to he Jarl's quarters guards started streaming in from nowhere to defend him, so I had to give up that idea.

I don't care about the kids. Murdering children is fucking creepy, computer game or not, but adults... I should be allowed to kill everyone if I try hard enough. And it's not just one or two that can't die, but many. And most of them I've no idea what function they fill in the game, it's probably some lame-ass easy way to keep quests from breaking if you go around randomly offing people. Not that I understand why those same people would hire you to perform quests for them if you're a bloody murderer...! :LOL:

Back