TES V: Skyrim

Apparently, it's just a new version of the TESV.exe file, that bumps up the requirement for having Steam open while playing, and also disables the Large Address Aware option..
Why do they do these things? :???: It's like they WANT people to have a bad time playing their crashy, bug-ridden games.

If anything they should have enabled LAA themselves, right from the start, but to disable it completely? Makes zero sense.

I just had Skyrim crash out on me 20 mins ago, for like the fourth time now, and I restarted the game manuallly due to crappy framerate not long before it happened either. I got twelve friggin' gigs of RAM in this box, pretty impressive (in a manner of speaking) of the game to burn through it all.

Managed to lose my follower in the Jarl's keep too. He got stuck when I jumped over a railing and stopped following me when I exited the building. I managed to run all the way down to the town gate before realizing he just wasn't there... *sigh*

Was a long trek back to recover him I tell ya. :p At least he was still there, he hadn't vanished. And luckily I'd harvested most everything from him too, I was ludicrously overburdened coming back from a quest, made over a thousand gold selling junk to vendors. Can almost afford a house now, yay!

My 1.1 tesV.exe before applying LAA
http://strony.aster.pl/kakarotto/TESV.rar

To install it, just set steam to manual downloads for Skyrim, close it, override exe, use LAA and launch steam again.

Why do they do these things? :???: It's like they WANT people to have a bad time playing their crashy, bug-ridden games.
Its DRM to not start Skyrim without steam and dont allow to modify exe. Thats why steamworks should be changed, especially for singleplayer games.

My update was 18MB.

Apparently, it's just a new version of the TESV.exe file, that bumps up the requirement for having Steam open while playing, and also disables the Large Address Aware option.. if you try to turn it on again, the game won't even start. Folks over on GAF are pissed.. the LAA is key to getting the game running smoothly at higher-than-ultra settings. And I'd just gotten that installed last night.

Is that why my game isn't opening? At all?

Edit: For those of you whose game isn't starting, I found a hotfix. I can verify it works, too.

"I posted this in the Official forums too. Mind you, I havent tested it myself! But it seems to work.

Delete your .exe, got to steam and check the file integrity of game cache (right clicking skyrim properties in steam). Steam will then check your file and download the updated .exe. "

Last edited by a moderator:
Goddamnit I did the LAA thing and now as predicted my game won't start after the patch downloaded while I was at work. I guess they did this for DRM reasons? That's funny since I have the pirate version also and it works fine. Stupid fuckers.

Ah, so now I can't use FPSLimiter to cap framerate at 30 or it crashes on startup. But I can with the pirate version. Sorry I made the mistake of purchasing.

Does anyone know of a console command or ini tweak to cap framerate?

Edit here it is.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Bethesda found that forcing LAA is causing issues and are working on a properly compiled LAA exe?

Nah, the update was to make it so you had to be running Steam to run the game apparently. Which is fine, I always leave Steam running. Somehow this had the side effect of breaking the LAA patch and FPSLimiter at the same time. And it was not causing issues, I've been playing with the LAA patch for some time now and all it did was improve stability.

What I'm saying is, it makes no sense at all because this obviously has no effect on those who have already pirated the game.

Yeah, they're catching a lot of flak for it on their own forums, because it doesn't affect the pirates at all.. Skyrim's been out there since day one, anything released after launch like this only affects the paying customers. I just loaded LAA last night, and I was about to start messing with some of the INI tweaks that require it. I guess I won't be doing that. Now I'm almost afraid to play, because it's crash-city again, and I don't like playing unstable games.

If they make the file LAA themselves, which they'd be smart to do, it'd be a non-issue.

Yeah, they're catching a lot of flak for it on their own forums, because it doesn't affect the pirates at all.. Skyrim's been out there since day one, anything released after launch like this only affects the paying customers. I just loaded LAA last night, and I was about to start messing with some of the INI tweaks that require it. I guess I won't be doing that. Now I'm almost afraid to play, because it's crash-city again, and I don't like playing unstable games.

If they make the file LAA themselves, which they'd be smart to do, it'd be a non-issue.

Yep. I just had my first CTD, while I was quicksaving in fact. Wonder if it has anything to do with having LAA disabled? :rolleyes:

I am all for TES modding, as my Oblivion install is quite fat and similarly unstable. But I cannot help thinking that a lot of the reported instablity in this thread is directly related to 'out of bounds' tweaking of the config files. Granted, I too have modified my own config as well, but when I see people talking about how LAA is somehow required for the modifications they have made, then you're pretty far away from anything remotely close to what they might have tested for.

I have experienced two CTDs so far. The first was caused by my video card overheating as my custom fan profile was somehow disabled, and in its place was a static setting of 30 allowed the overclocked core to hit 95+ celcius. The second cTD occurred about two hours after a marathon INI tweaking session. I have since reverted back to ultra settings plus my earlier-discussed shadow adjustments.

This config has seen 25 hours of continuous play (I left the game runninb at the GUI during breaks / naps / new baby changing and burping sessions) without issue. Hence my supposition that this game can be remarkably stable (far, far moreso than Oblivion) if you just stop going batshit crazy with the ini tweaks.

And if you want batshit crazy? More power to you; this is why you have a Pc so that you can make such decisions... But dont get all hurt when your game starts getting all wobbly in the knees. At best, the LAA hack is just that -- the game engine was never coded to use (and thus, manage) that kind of resource pool. Sure, my Oblivion also uses the LAA hack too, but I fully understand the implications of why it shouldnt be expected to solve everything my bloated configs cause.

I haven't done absolutely any .ini tweaking, just added the mod to replace the blocky faces and still have got several CTD's. I'd say around 6-8 in ~25-30h playing. Running on c2d + 560gtx under win7. I haven't yet found anything in common in those crashes, they seem quite random.

I am all for TES modding, as my Oblivion install is quite fat and similarly unstable. But I cannot help thinking that a lot of the reported instablity in this thread is directly related to 'out of bounds' tweaking of the config files. Granted, I too have modified my own config as well, but when I see people talking about how LAA is somehow required for the modifications they have made, then you're pretty far away from anything remotely close to what they might have tested for.

I have experienced two CTDs so far. The first was caused by my video card overheating as my custom fan profile was somehow disabled, and in its place was a static setting of 30 allowed the overclocked core to hit 95+ celcius. The second cTD occurred about two hours after a marathon INI tweaking session. I have since reverted back to ultra settings plus my earlier-discussed shadow adjustments.

This config has seen 25 hours of continuous play (I left the game runninb at the GUI during breaks / naps / new baby changing and burping sessions) without issue. Hence my supposition that this game can be remarkably stable (far, far moreso than Oblivion) if you just stop going batshit crazy with the ini tweaks.

And if you want batshit crazy? More power to you; this is why you have a Pc so that you can make such decisions... But dont get all hurt when your game starts getting all wobbly in the knees. At best, the LAA hack is just that -- the game engine was never coded to use (and thus, manage) that kind of resource pool. Sure, my Oblivion also uses the LAA hack too, but I fully understand the implications of why it shouldnt be expected to solve everything my bloated configs cause.
As far as I know Bethesda said in their official forums that they are going to support LAA themselves so people don't have to use it via mods.

The easiest settings to configure in the .ini files seem to me -I don't have a good enough PC to run Skyrim and I am also a console gamer- the ones related to shadowing and LOD. and both work really well when correctly tweaked, judging by some images posted in this thread.

Most likely they had to change the exe to force Steam support because it is a requirement from Valve.

I did nothing to mine, it isn't crashing, but there are bugs galore. Floating trees all around and so forth. Cant they apply gravity to trees in the editor so they at least fall to the ground?

I did nothing to mine, it isn't crashing, but there are bugs galore. Floating trees all around and so forth. Cant they apply gravity to trees in the editor so they at least fall to the ground?

I haven't seen any floating trees yet, but I've seen flying guards :) Of course, guards do fall to the ground.

This is the issue I was describing earlier, regarding the purple textures:

I'm glad I'm not the only one encountering this. I fought a dragon last night that was all purple, like those in the video. It's ridiculous. From what I've read, it sounds like the purple is a placeholder for textures that fail to load properly, which would explain why restarting the game tends to resolve it. I hope they address this.

Back