TES V: Skyrim

Ultra does set AF to 16x.

Davros how are you liking the game? I will go ahead and say this is my favorite Elder Scrolls game ever. Yes it is 4:30 in the morning and I am still playing.

It takes the good things about Morrowind and combines them with the good things from Oblivion and even Fallout 3 to create the one game that will rule them all.

I personally feel they've really nailed the environment this time. It may not be true to life, but damn does it look good. The varying weather adds so much, I actually prefer it when it's foggy or rainy.

TESV%202011-11-17%2022-21-50-79.png

Skyrim just crashed to the desktop on me, completely out of the blue. No error message or nuttin... Fortunately I didn't really lose any progress, I'd saved only minutes earlier, but it's disheartening all the same because if it happens once, then it's going to happen more and I might not have saved for a while when it decides to occur.

Skyrim just crashed to the desktop on me, completely out of the blue. No error message or nuttin... Fortunately I didn't really lose any progress, I'd saved only minutes earlier, but it's disheartening all the same because if it happens once, then it's going to happen more and I might not have saved for a while when it decides to occur.

It can help, but I got exactly same kinda crash, no warnings or anything, and I am using LAA-patch
So far only crash (excluding the windows audio settings shit in menu crash )

CTD is pretty common in this game. I went a few days without it, and just when I started feeling comfortable.. blam, crash. Luckily, I'd also saved just a couple minutes prior, and I wasn't in a dungeon, so I lost only time.

Console versions can hang too. Game programmers just being sloppy with the error trapping/memory leaks. :p

Tempted, so tempted, especially after noticing I can get smooth framerates if I give up on af. That seems to be my
main bottleneck.

With mine, it's usually AA.

I have seen the memory issues, though.. the game starts getting choppy in certain areas, with a noticeable dip in framerate. Sometimes, it clears if I go through a door, sometimes it doesn't. It always clears if I quit and restart the game. And sometimes, like about an hour or so ago, it doesn't give me the choice of quitting, it just does it.

Still waiting for the next patch, hopefully it'll clear up some of these issues.

I personally feel they've really nailed the environment this time. It may not be true to life, but damn does it look good. The varying weather adds so much, I actually prefer it when it's foggy or rainy.

TESV%202011-11-17%2022-21-50-79.png
I agree. Here are some PC screenshots, not touched in any way. The game running on the PC looks astonishing sometimes:

I use this image as my Desktop background. I found it on the net and loved it. It looks almost real to me.

TESV2011-11-1323-38-13-90.jpg

These two are artwork worthy:

2011-11-18_00003.jpg

2011-11-18_00001.jpg

6mo33.jpg

Wow, just wow, the lighting of the last one:

QkBoF.jpg

ps:

Bethesda has acknowledged an issue with the Xbox 360 version of its The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim title, warning customers not to install the game on the hard drive of the console, as an issue with the streaming systems used by the RPG causes textures to be loaded with a lower than normal resolution.
I am aware of that bug and since I have a 360 I am going to play off the disc until they fix it. There is a patch on the works.

Console gamers are talking about it (among other subjects like the Elder Scrolls lore and the world, etc, it's worth reading) here:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59296&page=15

The "Glorious Gaming MasterRace" (say it with me brothers)
have been playing the elder scrolls since Arena in 1994 and have no need of being taught lore by filthy console gaming peasants - thank you very much

you may now kneel in respect to our obvious superiority and awesomeness ;)

Am I the only one having problems with things getting transparent when they definately shouldn't?

HD6870 + Cat 11.11 (old CAPs though, even older than the driver included ones) / Win7 x64

Using Ultra settings with 2xMSAA + FXAA and 8xAF

Am I the only one having problems with things getting transparent when they definately shouldn't?

HD6870 + Cat 11.11 (old CAPs though, even older than the driver included ones) / Win7 x64

Using Ultra settings with 2xMSAA + FXAA and 8xAF

I have the same problem on nvidia, don't know my settings though. It isn't consistent either. The number of bugs in these games is always large so I figure it comes with the territory. Did anyone else notice the stray polygon shooting into the sky on the north coast? Or the invisible box around solitude. I was riding my horse through the sky it was funny. I thought I got a pic but apparently I was wrong. I rode all the way over the arch then fell out of the sky and the horse died, but I lived. Maybe I should have tried walking around in the city I did not notice if NPCs loaded and so forth, maybe I could have stolen everything or something weird since I did not enter.

My horse goes transparent when there's camera interference with walls, and my dragon mask disappears with robes, but they're more bugs than driver issues.

My horse goes transparent when there's camera interference with walls, and my dragon mask disappears with robes, but they're more bugs than driver issues.
I think that first one is intentional, to keep the horse from interfering with the player's view. But the settings appear to be off. Always clears as soon as the horse is in a better position on-screen.

I did have some wacky bugs the other day.. NPC horses coming along the road suddenly zipped off to the horizon. Then began circling me like birds. It was freaky. They were moving too fast to get screencaps of, but I might try it anyway if it happens again.

The biggest complaints I have right now are the crash-to-desktop, the occasional stuttering framerate for no apparent reason, and the glitches in the UI that keep my frikkin' mouse from actually being able to click on something.

I have the same problem on nvidia, don't know my settings though. It isn't consistent either. The number of bugs in these games is always large so I figure it comes with the territory. Did anyone else notice the stray polygon shooting into the sky on the north coast? Or the invisible box around solitude. I was riding my horse through the sky it was funny. I thought I got a pic but apparently I was wrong. I rode all the way over the arch then fell out of the sky and the horse died, but I lived. Maybe I should have tried walking around in the city I did not notice if NPCs loaded and so forth, maybe I could have stolen everything or something weird since I did not enter.

I have never had any of those bugs. The only really obvious bug I've come across is the one Jedi2016 mentioned with the horses zooming off halfway across the map once I get off of them. One time it actually happened to me. I got off the horse and got blasted about half a mile across the mountains. :oops:

Personally I encountered several bugs:

1. Mouse problem (apparently the highlighted item is not necessarily what you are currently pointing at)
2. In at least two quest where I got quest items before getting the quest and the quests do not advance to the proper stages (one of them is particularly bad as it involves an important equipment so I have to use console command to set the proper stage)
3. Crash to desktop after changing location (rare, and fortunately it always happened after an auto-save)
4. Some items are not properly stacked in the equipment list (e.g. some "Lesser Soul Gems" may appear as ten individual entries instead of "Lesser Soul Gems (10)")
5. Sometimes one can equip two amulets/necklaces at the same time.

The mouse problem is the most serious one and I really hope they fix it in the next patch.

What I hope they add in the next patch:

1. A proper character sheet. It's not good to have add "improve Magicka regeneration" from all items by one's own. The active effects list should display effects AND items at the same time, instead of current "showing item only when selecting an effect" design. Also, it'd be nice to know if you have any slot without item equipped.
2. The ability to set up equipment sets will be very useful. Current "number key" system is only good enough for selecting from different spells or weapons. It'd be much better to be able to push "1" to equip all "improve Alchemy" items before making potions, "2" to equip all magic resistant armors, "3" to equip all "improve Speech/price" items before trading, etc.
3. There should be an easy way to tell which enchantments you already learned. Only able to see a list of learned enchantments at an enchanting table is, well, not perfect, especially considering this game does not have an built-in notebook. Additional point: when buying spell tomes, it should display whether you already learned this spell or not, for convenience.
4. The perk display, although quite fancy, also could use some improvements. At least, a list of all effects from learned perks, and a list of all "qualified but not learned" perks, would be a nice addition
5. The ability to call your horse, even only with short distances, would be welcome. Sometimes the horse flee to a pretty distant location and it can take quite some time to find it in a dense forest.

How about adding the ability to tie down the horse's bridle to a nearby object so that it CAN'T run away...? :p

(Btw, is there horse armor as standard in this game or do we need to wait for the paid DLC? :LOL:)

I want to be able to change weapons with the mouse wheel instead of zooming my view. I never play in third person anyway, why's the game insisting on zooming with the wheel? I just don't understand how Bethesda could go with such an atrociously bad UI. It's a crime, really.

Sometimes pushing keyboard buttons (that aren't configurable) doesn't activate the relevant function, I must click the GUI instead, and sometimes clicking in the GUI doesn't work, I have to push the keyboard button instead. Hugely impractical!

All of the UI is just plain terrible, from trading to crafting, inventory management, reading books and notes, equipping gear, spells...all of it. It's total badness, so bad it boggles my mind. I haven't found one single redeeming feature about the entire UI. The perk display is perhaps the most unworkable and cumbersome piece of CRAP that I have ever seen. The people who designed that shit truly deserve a flogging.

Fascinating game though. I giggle to myself everytime I 1-shot something with my bow out of stealth. :D

Back