TES V: Skyrim

You can disable v-sync in skyrimprefs.ini, playing as archer with the mouse lag would be impossible and this cures it:
Code:
iPresentInterval=0

About the low sound volume: are you sure it isn't just meant to be low and there are actually high volume effects in between?

I like how it defaulted to Ultra on my PC. :D

Maybe the game is pretending we all have R5x0 GPUs.

Also the lack of Transparency MS support, according to the renderer, is curious :???:

edit:
Looks like some ancient engine limitations:
Renderer Device Information:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

nvd3dum.dll
RenderPath : BSSM_SV_3_0
PSversion : 300
VSversion : 300
VStarget : vs_3_0
PStarget : ps_3_0
PS2xtarget : ps_3_0
maxPS20inst : 512
3.0 Support : yes
3.0 Lighting : yes
Nonpowerof2textures : yes
FP16ARGB blending : yes
FP16ARGB filtering : no
Bloom lighting : no
Refraction : yes
2.0 hairw : yes
SLI mode : no
NVapi enabled : yes
Multisample Type : 0
Transparency MS : no
HW Thread Count : 4

Last edited by a moderator:
And that sucks. I refuse to do it, I just want to get to 60 and I am not making more iron daggers to get there.

Silly Bethesda, creating a crafting system and not thinking about it.

"Oh, Master. Can you teach me how to become a great blacksmith?"
"Yes, I will teach you how to make an ... iron dagger!"
"But Master, what about daedric armour and ebony greatswords?"
"... I only know iron daggers."

I laughed at this.

Also the lack of Transparency MS support, according to the renderer, is curious :???:

edit:
Looks like some ancient engine limitations:

It looks so Oblivion like. It makes me want to see if it'll still run on SM2 hardware. ;)

Decided to see how far north I could go. I hit the border (and the dreaded invisible wall), but there's still quite a bit of glacial land up there. What's kinda neat is if you do explore that far north, the entirety of the northern clouded region on the map becomes unclouded.

Got NV SGSAA working. The key is to have the driver do the "enhance AA" mode and set it up to use SGSSAA in NV Inspector as shown.

It's only 1360x768 cuz this is my TV box. It seems to look as good as AMD's RGSSAA on my 6950. It's definitely better than the 2720x1536 oversampling I was using (and faster I think).

nvskyrimgamecp.png

nvskyrimsgssaa.png

screenshot3kj.png

screenshot2je.png

Got NV SGSAA working. The key is to have the driver do the "enhance AA" mode and set it up to use SGSSAA in NV Inspector as shown.

It's only 1360x768 cuz this is my TV box. It seems to look as good as AMD's RGSSAA on my 6950. It's definitely better than the 2720x1536 oversampling I was using (and faster I think).

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3235/nvskyrimgamecp.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3606/nvskyrimsgssaa.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9392/screenshot3kj.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/1235/screenshot2je.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

You might try setting LOD bias to -1.5 to offset some of the blur you get.

Thats what I do and with 8x sparse grid I get:

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/tesv2011-11-1818-46-4lpdb0.png
tesv2011-11-1818-42-22aebj.png

I've also set iBlurDeferredShadowMask in the ini to 8 which gives a lot softer shadows (some people might see it as a thick shadow blur but I like it, it tends to hide the cascades ;)).

nvskyrimgamecp.png

nvskyrimsgssaa.png

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9392/screenshot3kj.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/1235/screenshot2je.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

It doesnt work for me ;\ Oh well i'll wait for new drivers, i'm happy right now with 1.5x1.5 OGSSAA + 4x MSAA, especially when i have near perfect 60 fps most of the time, with sacrificing only shadows [2048 res and 4000 distance].
Too make this game 'perfect' i would like set shadows to 4096 and have HD texture pack :) [and change UI! ;p]

There are new drivers. 285.79 beta.

Anyway I seem to have encountered my first proper bugs. There are 2 quests I have, one misc. and one big. The misc. one pertains to an "unusual gem" which pointed to someone in Riften. Talked to the guy, must have said something wrong and now he won't talk to me.
The other regards stealing a horse in Riften, but the guy I got the quest from is nowhere to be found and I only have 1 waypoint but nothing happens if I go there except I kill some mercs. Hmpf.

I believe the Unusual Gem quest requires the Thieves Guild quest first. When I talked to him it was just just after I'd spoken to Brynjolf and so he told me I need to get in good with Brynjolf first before he'll talk to me. I'm almost finished the mage quest atm so I haven't been back yet to continue the Thieves Guild quest.

I don't think I've enjoyed or been awed by a game as much as I am with Skyrim in a long time.

for unusual gem
you need to talk with vex at thieves guild, and she refuses to buy them unless you find all collection(find 24 gem)
i spent 80hr for now and got only 10 :(

I believe the Unusual Gem quest requires the Thieves Guild quest first. When I talked to him it was just just after I'd spoken to Brynjolf and so he told me I need to get in good with Brynjolf first before he'll talk to me. I'm almost finished the mage quest atm so I haven't been back yet to continue the Thieves Guild quest.
Weird, a gem that I didn't steal (it was take in white, not steal in red) and I have to do the thieves guild quest? Meh!

Weird, a gem that I didn't steal (it was take in white, not steal in red) and I have to do the thieves guild quest? Meh!

Well from the info from Man from Atlantis, it's due to getting access to the fence. And seems that part I mentioned is only to join the guild, not actually the full questline.

I don't think I've enjoyed or been awed by a game as much as I am with Skyrim in a long time.

Grond, my orc berserker, just helped the Stormcloaks sack Whiterun last night. I felt bad, being a thane and owning a home there, even being the Companions' harbinger, but the Jarl wouldn't join the cause of liberating Skyrim so it had to be done <g>. Gonna have to take the side of the Imperials with my 3rd toon just to see how that plays out.

You might try setting LOD bias to -1.5 to offset some of the blur you get.

I've also set iBlurDeferredShadowMask in the ini to 8 which gives a lot softer shadows (some people might see it as a thick shadow blur but I like it, it tends to hide the cascades ;)).

The negative lod level depends on SSAA mode. I usually run -0.5 with 4x. Some games have major problems when you screw with LOD though. I will try it out but I actually thought it looked fine without tweaking that. NV SGSSAA can really blur some games but this looked good.

Back