TES V: Skyrim

Agreed, it is indeed something you have to seek out -- on the order of 'nit picking' to be sure. I have more videos to post :)

The first one is some interviews and overview of the music and voice talent in the game, along with some game footage. The shadows are jarringly low quality, but I assume this is on the console platform and will be easily tweakable on the PC...

And the main theme, in its entirety

Truly epic sounding music. I like particularly how they remarked on using 30 guys but did 3 passes to give the effect of being 90 strong.

That said, I'm getting bad vibes from the character animation shown in there :(. The voice actors are so expressive by stark contrast.

The mouth animation appears worlds better than Oblivion and Fallout, at least IMHO. Character animation is still a bit "stiff". Most people will move hands, arms, their neck and even shoulders while talking; I haven't seen any of Bethusda's games get that part right.

Just a small aside: Bethesda has confirmed that just like with Rage, Steam pre-loading will be enabled prior to the game's release, although they haven't said anything about when that will be. Rage allowed pre-load (all 20 gigs of it, jesus lol) 2 days ahead of launch. Since Skyrim will be just a fraction of that size, I don't think we'll get more than two days' worth of margin.

I dunno bout you guys, but I sure as hell couldn't get pre-load to start in he first 24-hour period after the switch was thrown, but luckily I have fairly decent broadband connection speed, so I had the full game fueled up and ready to go before launch day hit.

My suspicion is we'll see a similar pattern develop here, since Skyrim probably is quite highly anticipated (even though it's not a braindead action title), but the smaller download size will allow people to grab the game much faster so the issue with server contention might actually be a lot less this time 'round.

Preload causes disk fragmentation due to the decryption process. I avoid. lol ;)

No steam for me!
Haven't bought a game outside steam for a while now.
But in this case I'm making an exception!
I have a spot ready on my bookcase, next to Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion! :p

No, Arena? Pfft, and you consider yourself a fan of the series? :D

I've got the collector's edition of the game and strat guide both pre-ordered from Amazon. A foolish nerd and his money. . . .

Yeah even though the wife and I haven't bought a game outside of Steam for quite some time, we've both pre-ordered PC copies and a strat guide. It needs to sit on the shelf beside Oblivion and Morrowind.

BTW, I remembered that Bethesda bought Arkane Studios. The Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah folks. I wonder if that had any effect on Skyrim. Tragically I've seen no sign of The Infamous Boot. ;)

Also, the developers apparently looked hard at Deadly Reflex (the Oblivion mod). Quite a few mods got their attention. I hope the console clowns unconsciously appreciate this stuff.

Hopefully they won't continue the Bethesda Way of fixing some problem with their previous game and then ruining something their previous game had working perfectly.

I am sure they will, though. :)

BTW, I remembered that Bethesda bought Arkane Studios. The Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah folks. I wonder if that had any effect on Skyrim. Tragically I've seen no sign of The Infamous Boot. ;)

Are we the only two Dark Messiah fans in the world? That game is frickin great.

Are we the only two Dark Messiah fans in the world? That game is frickin great.

Yeah it's one of my favorites. For some reason it didn't get much attention. Some people didn't like the quirky combat although I think the melee combat is the best of its kind. Great atmosphere too.

I beat it three times to get all the endings. I've never done that in any other game.

Count me as well, on the Dark Messiah thing.
The game had it's flaws, but it had interesting, fun and dirty combat.
Throwing people on spikes or down ledges was as satisfying as beheading them with special moves!
Any game with melee combat could learn a thing or two from DM.

Back