TES V: Skyrim

So, Bethesda is calling the engine new. From the screens, I get the feeling that they are actually using Gamebryo but since Gamebryo-the-company sort of imploded a couple of years ago that they brought the engine in-house (bought it perhaps). Comments?

Take gamebryo source code license, tweak it, add some of your own stuff to it

Dub it creation engine.

I've seen some comments around "Gamebryo engine v1.1" and the HD Youtube vids I've seen don't necessarily refute that. Granted, it appears that most of the videos are being recorded on ye ol' XBox, but there is visible object fade, visible texture mipmaps exacerbated by billinear filtering, and some question around character animation. I expect the first two issues to be configurable on the PC platform, just as it was for the Fallout 3 series and Oblivion.

Still, given what I've seen, I'm not against it. As a general rule, the engine "worked" as it was. The weak points were physics and draw distance. I'm not convinced they've solved either, to be honest, but here's hoping :)

TO be sure, I'm going to enjoy Skyrim every bit as much as I enjoyed Oblivion and the Fallout 3's. Sure, there are a lot of things that can be said for weaknesses in the gameplay, physics, and the like. Nevertheless, I found the worlds quite enjoyable as I am very forgiving of open-world sandboxes. Some people will say the content was too repetitive, but I was quite happy to go find all the little side quests, go digging through the tunnels and caves and ruins, and go looking for random typically-worthless loot in order to occasionally find a location that was astonishing, or an item that was truly rare.

The article on preload states 6Gb for the entire game. Doesn't bode well for amount of unique voice and unique high quality texture size.

Despite the massiveness of the game and it's lovely graphics, Skyrim is a mere 6GB in size thanks to it being "more optimized than we've ever had before. And faster." Hines confirmed earlier that the better optimization is a result of a "new engine & we're much better at compression (art/voice/data)."

Hope that art isn't too compressed.

Super optimized. ;) Textures look better overall than Oblivion but it's clear they limited themselves to the console hardware. But they aren't even filling up the DLDVD. I wonder if it'll tile as badly as Oblivion....

Super optimized. Textures look better overall than Oblivion but it's clear they limited themselves to the console hardware. Still, a dual layer 360 DVD has nore than 6gb AFAIK.

Todd Howard has teased several times this year about a possible post-release DX11/texture update for the PC version, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

Super optimized. ;) Textures look better overall than Oblivion but it's clear they limited themselves to the console hardware. Still, a dual layer 360 DVD has more than 6gb AFAIK.

6.8, or 7.8 if you use the new format, but considering how long something like Skyrim is in development I doubt they could make use of it.

6.8, or 7.8 if you use the new format, but considering how long something like Skyrim is in development I doubt they could make use of it.

Quick, reencode the soundtrack in a lossless format!

You're right. I think my issue is a bit more than just the pea soup textures. I understand it could be tweaked, but even with tweaks and patches, the real issue I had was how barren the landscape actually is. You'd have trees spread out from each other, separated by large blobs (detailed blobs thanks to tweaks!) of green, and that was it really.

I couldn't look at a forest on the horizon and think "I might actually get lost in there" because the actual forest density was so low.

The screenshots I've seen of Skyrim show a hugely improved distant view. The water looks a lot nicer too. Overall it looks like a major evolution of Oblivion visuals, I think.

Nice mountain fog/clouds.

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-lake-vista.jpg

skyrim04.jpg

Markarth01.jpg

Skyrim_April2011_RuinedFort.jpg

Refresh your memories. :)
Mountains.jpg

Those screencaps looks "enhanced" to me. Do not mistake my statement to mean I think the graphics will NOT look that good; I'm perfectly happy to be wrong in my interpretation of the pictures. However, given the videos that we've seen, I am less likely to believe those shots.

Still, your shot of Oblivion does point out at least one thing -- there was indeed some concept of "dense forest" in the far background. Unfortunately, all the ground cover goes missing at about the 50' mark which makes it look oddly barren -- just as your screenshot demonstrates.

Oblivion was actually pretty decent if you just tweaked it for more dense coverage. Overall though I still felt there wasn't enough value in exploring. That was not to say it was barren, there was plenty of stuff. The problem was leveled loot meant that exploring was never much fun. It was rare to find something super awesome.

True. The leveled loot was irritating, but it never specifically dawned on me how 'bad' it was until I started Wiki'ing for what some of the pieces were. Had I not gone looking online, I might have been blissfully ignorant a bit longer ;)

I have quite a few mods in Oblivion, and probably about 300 hours worth of saves between my first playthrough and my most recent one. It plays exceptionally well on my Lenovo Y460 i5-540m + 8gb ram + SSD + overclocked ATI 5650m.

I may have mentioned this before, but if you don't like leveling loot and enemies you need Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. It makes the game good. And if you don't like the insane leveling system you need the AF Level Mod. Combine those two and you have a really fun game.

Oscuro's had problems with other stuff I had and was generally too much of a pain for me to want to deal with it.

Those screencaps looks "enhanced" to me. Do not mistake my statement to mean I think the graphics will NOT look that good; I'm perfectly happy to be wrong in my interpretation of the pictures. However, given the videos that we've seen, I am less likely to believe those shots.

E3 2011 video shows the flaws of Oblivion's outdoors to be pretty much gone. Animation looks both better and yet sometimes the same as Oblivion. Physics definitely appears similar. I also saw a strange lighting transition when going from outdoors to indoors at the end (13:14). However it is clearly statically lit.

I think it looks quite similar to Oblivion but refined in every way. I kept the audio muted because I don't want to hear Howard hype it. ;) I wish PS360 had been retired already.

The marketting screenshots for Oblivion looked really nice, which is no surprise. They picked the best ones to show off. The same thing will be happening with Skyrim too but I imagine that it does actually look better than Oblivion when playing. Even things like the water shader is obviously better in Skyrim than Oblivion from the screenshots so there would be other improvements too.

I'm gonna link an HD version of the video we've all seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imH4Ncoe9Gs&hd=1

Play it at 720p in it's full size. It appears that the atmospheric haze / blur does indeed exist on the platform they're recording from, but you can also see several instances of what appears to be the 'pea soup' texture. Around the 40-second mark you can see it in the center of the screen as the grass texture leading up to four trees that obscure a peak in the background. You can see it again around 3:40 with the 'winter' textures across the river.

All in all, I still feel it's a solid upgrade from Oblivion. Faces are better, overall object quantity seems to be up, forest density seems to be up, Shadows seems to be far better, at least nearby ones. And I think I'm really going to like the UI, but I'll reserve judgement on that for now.

Overall, still looks very enjoyable to me. :)

I think you have to actively look for them in the video to spot it. Not that they won't be present in the actual game, we'll have to wait to see, but it's certainly a huge improvement over Oblivion.

Desslock has said the PC version looks a helluva lot better than the console versions.

Back