Qualcomm Krait & MSM8960 @ AnandTech

Not sure what you mean by 'any floating point in this particular case' - the scalar units can do fp, just not mads.

Meaning they are capable of either multiply or add under specific conditions? (and yes my wording was a bit awkward).

Software that'll exploit Halti probably won't be significant until next year, so I don't see Qualcomm gaining much from an earlier introduction.

That second, higher score for the Adreno 320 does give me some hope, yet I still expect Samsung's first implementation of Mali T-604 to score higher.

That second, higher score for the Adreno 320 does give me some hope, yet I still expect Samsung's first implementation of Mali T-604 to score higher.

But when it'll come?
Cause for now it looks like 4412 is their SoC of the year, and I don't suppose they'll release smartphone or tablet in 2H that would be direct competition to their current high end devices. But with the release of 320 based SoC's samsung will have to reevaluate their strategy, cause their devices will lose their performance advantage.

So in the end 320 should have a big head start, and with 28nm HKMG used in next year SoC's qualcomm will be able to clock their Krait CPU at 2Ghz and probably up the clocks of 320(which will probably be their top offering till the 4xx series comes ;)) so when T-604 comes 320 will get faster with higher clocks.

Although I don't know who'll be faster but I know that 320 will get faster than it is now :)

Nordichardware saw a Taji benchmark wich they think is the Mali-T604

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/...tcom+(www.nordichardware.com+News+&+Articles)

Most likely Samsung was just testing it as i dont think the Galaxy Note 10.1 will come with the T-604. There are rumours however of Galaxy Note 2 launching in october with Exynos 5250.

Time will tell. For now, I don't think they'll be able to equip note2 with exynos 5250. Remember that SIII was rumoured to come with 5250 and include fullHD screen, so I'd take all those rumours with a great dose of salt.

Yes but some rumors are more believable than others. When Samsung themselves say Exynos 5250 wont start mass production until Q2 2012 then its probably not realistic to expect it in a phone hitting retail in May 2012. However October would fit that timeline better

We will see but either way i expect to see Mali T604 in mass market before Adreno 320. TSMC said they will not be able to keep up with S4 demand until Q4 this year and wont exceed demand until 2013. Samsung wont have that problem on 32nm

Yes but some rumors are more believable than others. When Samsung themselves say Exynos 5250 wont start mass production until Q2 2012 then its probably not realistic to expect it in a phone hitting retail in May 2012. However October would fit that timeline better
October is more probable but still very optimistic, that would make them first manufacturer with full A15 CPU SoC.
We will see but either way i expect to see Mali T604 in mass market before Adreno 320.
Up till now we got results from 2 devices running on either msm8960T or quad core apq8064 and no confirmed results from devices using T604. Don't tell me that doesn't mean anything...
TSMC said they will not be able to keep up with S4 demand until Q4 this year and wont exceed demand until 2013. Samsung wont have that problem on 32nm
Unless samsung will be busy making chips for apple and their own 4xxx series powering sgs3 and note10.1. Besides october is already Q4 ;)

Well i think it would be reasonable to expect them to be first considering they will release on a mature node while everyone else is going for 28 nm. And yes its true we have no confirmation of devices with Mali-T604 but if we look at Galaxy S3, we did not see it on glbenchmark until like 1-2 months before release. It doesnt mean there was no device before that ;)

But this is all just speculation wich is fun but still just speculation

Yes i dont believe Note 10.1 will use T-604 since if we look at the tablets specs it seems to be a mid range device. But if you go and look at the Taji benchmark from NHW, it obliterates the SIII and might still even be limited by v-sync. So most likely Samsung was just testing the new GPU in Note 10.1 but it will use regular 4412 when its time for production

Yes i dont believe Note 10.1 will use T-604 since if we look at the tablets specs it seems to be a mid range device. But if you go and look at the Taji benchmark from NHW, it obliterates the SIII and might still even be limited by v-sync. So most likely Samsung was just testing the new GPU in Note 10.1 but it will use regular 4412 when its time for production

Or it was simply some kind of bug that caused abnormal result.

Too many ifs and buts if you ask me. But as always - newer and faster SoC is a healthy boost for competition :)

It might be the Mali 450, which is supposedly 2x better than Mali 400.

It can also scale up to 8 cores (pixel shaders?). I wonder if they'd be courageous enough to pair the 8 pixel shaders with a single vertex shader, again.

It can also scale up to 8 cores (pixel shaders?). I wonder if they'd be courageous enough to pair the 8 pixel shaders with a single vertex shader, again.

Wouldn't this kind of disproportion bottleneck and cripple it's maximum performance?

I know this might sound a tad awkward, but how hard could it be to just pair 2*Mali400MP4 in a SoC?

Wouldn't it need come kind of additional controller(some kind of SLI)?
I thought that Mali 400 could go up to max. 4 cores and this kind of combination would make it 8 core GPU.

Wouldn't it need come kind of additional controller(some kind of SLI)?

Hypothetically some sort of "bridge" core or any sort of additional scheduling logic would be an idea.

I thought that Mali 400 could go up to max. 4 cores and this kind of combination would make it 8 core GPU.

Exactly why I'm asking myself whether they're just using 2 Mali400MP4 blocks.

As this is a midrange gpu, im going to bet this is exactly as you have suggested....2 x mali 400mp4.

I cant see the point of redesigning a totally new core, doubling resources also enables lower clock speeds and lower power rather than just ramping up clock speeds.

The numbers in that test would also support such a setup would they not? however what would the die size be?

Possible but ARM announced this GPU like a week ago. The Taji benchmark was months ago. Would Samsung have working silicon that fast?

Also the Mali-450 was announced for 2013 while the announcement also had this paragraph:

"Mali-T600 cores are expected to ship in consumer products in the second-half of 2012."

Looking at the timeline, its more likely it was a test for the T-604 wich is supposed to ship in the 2nd half of this year than testing a GPU that is probably just sampling in the coming months

Back