RAGE: That's actually what you do when trying to get the PC version to work

I don't get texture pop in. I have i5-3550, GTX670, 8GB RAM, game installed on Intel 330 SSD.

I did not change config file in Rage, so that might be why I had it.
Played on 7970, i5 @4.2 and 8GB RAM with newest Cat. 12.9 at the time.

It didn't bother me too much as it only happened when turning rapidly and only in few places (especially beginning of the game).

Just installed this and played around for an hour or so last night. Aside from the jarring texture quality difference, it's an incredible looking game. It literally is a unique experience with megatexture compared to standard texture/art development. Something like Skyrim with this technology, proper dynamic lighting and great texture quality would be an amazing experience.

How much disc space would you need for such a hypothetical game? Large open world+mega texture+high resolution textures? >250GB?

I think the more important question is, how the hell do you actually create all that data?

I think the more important question is, how the hell do you actually create all that data?

Well, thats a question that has to be tackled anyway , as new hardware comes along.

But, yes,I think ID achieved what they set out to do: An engine which can produce superb looking outdoors and still run at 60 fps. Lovely tech ! I don't mind a few low res textures when looked up close when the quality of visuals is this good and still runs so well on all hardwares.

Outsourcing?

For the environment? Very unlikely to happen, at id all artists had the entire dataset available online at any time and multiple users were able to edit the same area concurrently.

This would be impossible to do over an internet connection, so the only thing contractors could help would be characters and dynamic objects like weapons, vehicles etc. All of which were already done with outsourcing on Rage already.

The game world itself, where the magic really happens with all the manually painted details, has to be done on site. One part, increasing world texel density, is indeed just a hardware related problem and can be solved with larger online storage at the studio and faster network and a bigger disc to ship on; but the other, a larger and more interactive world, would require a much bigger team to complete.

For the environment? Very unlikely to happen, at id all artists had the entire dataset available online at any time and multiple users were able to edit the same area concurrently.

This would be impossible to do over an internet connection, so the only thing contractors could help would be characters and dynamic objects like weapons, vehicles etc. All of which were already done with outsourcing on Rage already.

The game world itself, where the magic really happens with all the manually painted details, has to be done on site. One part, increasing world texel density, is indeed just a hardware related problem and can be solved with larger online storage at the studio and faster network and a bigger disc to ship on; but the other, a larger and more interactive world, would require a much bigger team to complete.

Thanks for the explanation!

Oh, to clear things up a little, not all characters and such were outsourced but they did rely on contractors for some of the work on RAGE.

Yeah I didn't say it was actually feasible in this day and age but I can see the virtues of the tech.

Yeah the tech is amazing, although I believe it's more suitable for relatively smaller, closed environments. Building something like an Elder's Scrolls or GTA game with it would however involve utterly incredible costs...

You realize you can use repetitive textures in RAGE still though right? So you could do something like skyrim scale the same way it is done now. Then artists could just go in and mark up special areas etc... Of course they already do this with decals. The landscape could benefit though in skyrim still.

Yeah the tech is amazing, although I believe it's more suitable for relatively smaller, closed environments. Building something like an Elder's Scrolls or GTA game with it would however involve utterly incredible costs...

Unless you store the process of creating the textures from base textures instead of the final textures themselves, and compute them at runtime.
It would add restrictions to what can be done, but it would mean less bandwidth requirement from the source (disk).
(Not sure about the impact on quality, I've not spent any time on S3TC on the GPU to know the speed/quality trade of required for that tech.)

Think monetary costs, hiring an army of artists to go through every square meter of the game world...

Holy cow I really doubted they would ever see the light of day.

Let the bitching commence now about them not working :devilish:
From the same people who were pissed when they did not release them stating there was reliability issues :)

If anyone wants any ideas for a mod I have one suggestion: "No More Invisible Walls" mod. Sure it will take a few months removing the hundreds of thousands invisible walls Rage has but it will be worth it! It will make the jump button relevant again!

As for the SDK itself, no MP mods, the loading times are completely insane, and 200mb mod sizes for a weapons tweak mod is seriously deranged. I've known the development pipeline for id Tech 5 was... "involved" but this is a monster that broke free of its bonds, killed its master and is currently rampaging through the streets.

Back