RAGE: That's actually what you do when trying to get the PC version to work

Well, historically OGL was definitely an epic challenge for AMD, and looks like this here doesn't make a difference. Carmak already emphasized on the whole fact, that Megatexture was a difficult task to build on the PC platform, citing numerous API and driver issues even for a simple operations, like moving/fetching pieces of texture data. One of the hurdles was exactly with the behaviour of the device drivers -- what he wanted to actually do, and how the driver interpreted his intentions as a result... often in unexpected ways.

I get the impression that NV considers OpenGL a whole lot more valuable than AMD does and has a lot more resources devoted to it. There's also the fact that Tegra lives in an OpenGL world and yeah NV dominates OpenGL quality there too AFAIK.

Someone asked about adjusting this stuff

vt_upsamplefilter 1-7 -> what upscaling filter is used
vt_upsamplenoise -> how much of this detail layer
vt_upsamplesharpen -> controls texture sharpening
Thanks, I saw this post the other day, but didn't get around to playing with the options until just a bit ago. I found turning vt_upsamplenoise down to 2 and vt_upsamplesharpen down to 32 solves my complaints with the option.

Thanks, I saw this post the other day, but didn't get around to playing with the options until just a bit ago. I found turning vt_upsamplenoise down to 2 and vt_upsamplesharpen down to 32 solves my complaints with the option.

Glad to be of use :)

Create a new folder id software in C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Local\id software\ and then "Rage" folder in id software folder, eg:
C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\id software\Rage
Rage uses then this new folder to store temporary data (a lot of it).

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/13...rison-shots/page__view__findpost__p__20232560

With jobs_numThreads 4 and vt_splitTranscodeJobs 0 I get over 48 MTex vs. 23 (default). (My CPU is a good old Q6600).

Just picked this up. From the reviews I was tempted to wait until I got a Kepler class NV GPU to play it given the horror stories I heard about it with AMD GPU's. Frankly I expected my 4890 to be a complete mess with it.

Now I find myself asking wtf was all the fuss about?? I'm running it with max everything 1080p, 4xMSAA and deftailed textured and still getting completely smooth framerates. And that's on god knows how many month old drivers. Certainly not the latest. I may have seen the odd texture pop in now and then but nothing that would remotely bother me or that I haven't seen in other games before (UT3 springs to mind).

It's still early days ye but so far I think the graphics are truly stunning and the gameplay is great. Very pleasantly suprised!

Control wise though I'm stuck between the pad and the M/K. Pad is a fair bit better for vehicles but M/K is vastly better for FPS. I Can't even being to suffer the FPS parts of the game on the pad. I assume the console version uses auto aim?

AMD was fubar to various degrees for Rage until around Cat 11.12. During October (release month) they were a disaster.

I agree that it's an ok game. A sort of lite-edition Fallout 3. Unfortunately the second half of the game is seemingly unfinished. I enjoyed it though. The tech is interesting if a bit half baked in various ways due to storage limitations of our favorite little toy boxes.

I'm thinking he's referring to R520-era fun there. When R520 was pretty nice for D3D but making a weak show for Doom3/Quake4/Riddick. I wonder if they've fixed Quake4 on Cayman yet...

I believe he left on his own volition, on accord of living in Canada was too far away from his girl/family. Guess he wanted to be a daddy more than working at AMD. :p

Just picked this up. From the reviews I was tempted to wait until I got a Kepler class NV GPU to play it given the horror stories I heard about it with AMD GPU's. Frankly I expected my 4890 to be a complete mess with it.

Now I find myself asking wtf was all the fuss about?? I'm running it with max everything 1080p, 4xMSAA and deftailed textured and still getting completely smooth framerates. And that's on god knows how many month old drivers. Certainly not the latest. I may have seen the odd texture pop in now and then but nothing that would remotely bother me or that I haven't seen in other games before (UT3 springs to mind).

It's still early days ye but so far I think the graphics are truly stunning and the gameplay is great. Very pleasantly suprised!

Control wise though I'm stuck between the pad and the M/K. Pad is a fair bit better for vehicles but M/K is vastly better for FPS. I Can't even being to suffer the FPS parts of the game on the pad. I assume the console version uses auto aim?

Still really enjoying this game (yes I play games pretty slowly). I'm glad I revisited this thread though. I was previously playing at 1920x1080 with 4xMSAA and getting framerates that varied between 40-60fps which was certainly playable but not idea. After re-reading the complaints about the performance impact of quality textures through I thought I'd try turning them off. Can't really notice a quality difference but now I've bumped MSAA up to 8x and I'm getting a rock solid 60fps! And all on my "modest" 4890 :D

EDIT: does anyone else think the gunplay is very reminiscent of Doom?

Yeah, I also think that this an old school shooter even if they added the 'iron sights' stuff popularized by COD. Found it quite refreshing after all the different types of shooter gameplay (there's also Halo's approach and all the 3rd person Gears-influenced cover based stuff).

Actually it made me wonder if perhaps this was because of Carmack and his tastes and preferences :)

Yeah, I also think that this an old school shooter even if they added the 'iron sights' stuff popularized by COD. Found it quite refreshing after all the different types of shooter gameplay (there's also Halo's approach and all the 3rd person Gears-influenced cover based stuff).

Actually it made me wonder if perhaps this was because of Carmack and his tastes and preferences :)

I honestly doubt he has much say in it anymore, but the shooting was definitely more satisfying than most games.

Rage shooting bits were great, IMO. Very very satisfying. Driving bits could go to hell, IMO. I think that bit of the game's shit, and is the reason I still haven't finished it. There's just no way to properly control a car with a PC keyboard that is in any way fun or satisfying, IMO.

Rage shooting bits were great, IMO. Very very satisfying. Driving bits could go to hell, IMO. I think that bit of the game's shit, and is the reason I still haven't finished it. There's just no way to properly control a car with a PC keyboard that is in any way fun or satisfying, IMO.

I quite like the driving too, breaks up the FPS segments nicely IMO. That said, I agree it controls terribly on the keyboard, I actually do the driving bits on the control pad then switch to keyboard mouse for FPS elements.

I wish the game had a better sense of scale. It's just too small of a world. Some spots where you can see the painted background world intended to improve that sense of scale make it feel like you're wandering a little diorama. ;) But that's how most games are, and I imagine the technology here makes that even less likely to change.

Back