NEC has implemented AcceleonG10 in display IC

Hey Kristof... just wanna say, Put that in your smoke and pipe it. :p Ehem.. cough.. Or I could just say, told ya. hehe. :D

-Dave
(Not the Main architect of the Acceleon G10... but still a Bitboys employee ;))

ram said:
moichi said:
Speaking of alternative PDA cores, Sanshin also has a cell phone GPUs on the market: http://www.gshark.com/en/index.html

Yes, Sanshin developed GSHARK core with japanse game maker HUDSON.
(HUDSON designed japanese consoles PC-ENGINE and PC-FX).
But cell phone with GSHARK is not available yet.

And japanese company FueTrek also designed PDA GPU core FGP.
But cell phone w/FGP is not available yet.
http://www.fuetrek.co.jp/english/home.html

Target devices

It is worth noting, that the NEC implementation of G10 is really an ultra-easy entry point for even low-medium end phones, where minimum changes are required to the device and the overall cost is minimal. ´

It is surely not a PDA chip, even though in theory G10 could work there as well. But going from G10 to G30 the situation starts getting interesting.

The whole clue about this approach is to get graphics capabilities to devices where the overall cost can be kept low, with still gaining on graphics quality and speed. This means even devices where the Application Processor might not be strong enough to carry a software renderer. We are talking about a 6 Mhz core clock speed Acceleon G10 graphics engine placed next to the display!

So it is hard to compare to anything in the market at this point. It will be interesting to see, whether the device manufacturers really pick up on this idea to put hardware accelerated graphics in the volume devices.

And for everyone's info. Acceleon has really nothing to do with Axe, no eDRAM, no architecture, no design. It is not a product that was derived from some existing PC-chip. This is a core designed for its specific purpose.

stevem said:
Kristof said:
stevem said:
Hey Dave, what are you doing for BB these days?

AFAIK he is in charge of beverages and is working his way up to snacks :devilish:

Damn, senior management already! Beating your ass up the corporate ladder, eh K?:D

Well K occasionally brings in Belgian Chocolates so I'd say he's already leading.

ram said:
moichi said:

Hmm, with just 3 MPix/s, it seems to be even below the level of a Z3D. And it seems it doesn't even support texture filtering and z-buffering, does it?

Sorry, I don't know about FGP product detail.

LCD controller w/FGP is Seiko-Epson's S1D13721.
http://www.erd.epson.com/vdc/html/contents/S1D13721.htm
I can't access hardware spec document though.

Mitsubishi's Z3D-2 has already shipped.(in cell phone D505i)
Z3D-2 spec is 230Kvert/s and 6Mpix/s.
Almost twice faster than FGP.

Simon F said:
stevem said:
Kristof said:
stevem said:

AFAIK he is in charge of beverages and is working his way up to snacks :devilish:

Damn, senior management already! Beating your ass up the corporate ladder, eh K?:D

Well K occasionally brings in Belgian Chocolates so I'd say he's already leading.

Yeah, I've been handling snacks for years now :LOL:

stevem said:
Dave said:
-Dave
(Not the Main architect of the Acceleon G10... but still a Bitboys employee ;))

Well being that I'm in the US and everyone else is in Finland, actually it is a bit iimpossible for me to handle snacks. :D Though I will be out there in a bit over a week, so who knows. ;)

Seriously though, I'm mostly working on getting our developer relations stuff off the ground. I've been working with a few select developers right now, but our program hasn't officially launched yet. Once that happens, then I'll be much busier. :)

-Dave

ram said:
moichi said:

Hmm, with just 3 MPix/s, it seems to be even below the level of a Z3D. And it seems it doesn't even support texture filtering and z-buffering, does it?

I believe Z3D at Siggraph (trying to remember what the guy told me) was running at an insanely high clock speed. Something like 40-60 MHz. For a phone, that is crazy, and for that speed, I was not even a little impressed.

-Dave

I don't think thats an insane speed for a cellphone.

The baseband processors usually run at 90mhz+.

Our DSP player runs at 60mhz decoding WMA. Most ARM based portable audio devices are running at 70-90mHz.

Dave said:
stevem said:
Well being that I'm in the US and everyone else is in Finland, actually it is a bit iimpossible for me to handle snacks. :D Though I will be out there in a bit over a week, so who knows. ;)
Giant catapults man, no-one has any initiative these days :(

Kristof said:
Simon F said:
Yeah, I've been handling snacks for years now :LOL:
And here was me thinking eating crisps or a Yorkie without getting crumbs in the keyboard was 'posh snacks'.

Dio said:
And here was me thinking eating crisps or a Yorkie without getting crumbs in the keyboard was 'posh snacks'.

Wow. This is the MOST British a sentence I've seen online yet! ;)

Trug said:
Thank you,

Hi Trug,

Just wanted to chime in with my CONGRATULATIONS! Well done! If you have time please keep us updated with everything that's going on, okay?

Cheers,

AJ

RussSchultz said:
I don't think thats an insane speed for a cellphone.

The baseband processors usually run at 90mhz+.

Our DSP player runs at 60mhz decoding WMA. Most ARM based portable audio devices are running at 70-90mHz.

Well when you consider our HDK was running at Siggraph at 6 MHz and what it was doing ( we were running a game demo called Speedcell), verses what they were doing at 60 MHz, it is insane. That is probably why one of the Z3D guys asked me our clock speed about half a dozen times, at least, because he couldn't believe it.

-Dave

Myrmecophagavir said:
Dave said:
stevem said:

Well we tried that, but there was a small problem with the snack being smashed to bits on impact. :D

-Dave

Dave said:
I believe Z3D at Siggraph (trying to remember what the guy told me) was running at an insanely high clock speed. Something like 40-60 MHz. For a phone, that is crazy, and for that speed, I was not even a little impressed.
-Dave
Are you sure? In the paper presented at Graphics Hardware 2003, it quotes performance figures at a clock rate of 30Mhz. I thought it was clocked at a relatively low rate... but I could be wrong.

Also remember that they have a mini-DSP to do T&L which is an architecture that probably works best with a higher clock rate. This would also mean that the main CPU would then use less power. Z3D also has some whacky power-saving tricks its pipeline. I should go back and re-read the paper.
Dave said:
Myrmecophagavir said:

Well we tried that, but there was a small problem with the snack being smashed to bits on impact. :D
-Dave
I would have thought the initial launch would be the main killer.

Back