RAGE: That's actually what you do when trying to get the PC version to work

if thats the bottleneck you'd think id would offer a tool to pre-transcode and store the texture on your hdd

Are you serious?? Have you got any idea how much disk space that'd require? Or the load times?

For some reason it did not detect my i5 system as a quad-core,
Seems it is looking for more than a quad-core, as I had Hyper-Threading disabled on my i7 and it gave me an insufficient cores message until I turned HT on.

Anyway, I'm not impressed with the detail texture detail setting, to the point that using it or not seems like a toss-up. The upsampling is a subtle yet indisputable improvement, but I really don't like the noise filter or sharpening as they are. If I could get the upsampling alone, or even better tweak the noise filter and sharpining to be less extreeme, I'll be quite pleased with what they've done. Has anyone found console commands to make such tweaks?

Why would you run your i7 with HT turned off? :oops: It's pretty much universally agreed upon that HT brings extra performance almost all the time (and sometimes a lot of it too).

I was troubleshooting an odd issue and when running low on options I turned HT off to see if that would help, which it didn't. Having it off doesn't notably hurt anything I use my computer for either though, so I'd never bothered to turn it back on. Where did you get the idea that HT is important to keep on? Compare some 2500k and 2600k benchmarks and you'll see the two processors preform nearly the same in all but a few situations, and that's even with the 2600k's slight clockspeed advantage and extra cache on top of having HT.

That noise overlay texture also acts like dithering pattern filter on some surfaces with notable banding/discrete gradients. I would say it's rather cheap way to compensate for the limited range and resolution of the base texture. I've seen better implementation of detail texturing in the original Unreal game back in 1998 under GLide, than this thing here.

Yeah but this can be automatic, whereas detail textures would require artists to go through all the content, and the patch would also have to update significant amounts of game world data...

Yeah, this is just a quick and dirty solution/band-aid that's not supposed to be that costly to id to implement... AFAIR, the Unreal detail textures had different patterns for stone, wood and so on. That's major, major work (understatement!) for a game like Rage that features SO many different textures.

It looks like the performance is low (22 - 25 fps) until my CPU (Q6600, 2.4 GHz) delievers all texture data, then it's normal. But if I run (or turn around), my Q6600 is not fast enough.

Yeah the engine is very demanding when it falls behind on texture transcode. GPU transcode is helpful with fast NV GPUs (think 460 and higher). But you will never shake the texture loads entirely with current hardware.

The new Texture Detail feature is IMO a joke. Can't believe that they thought that it would make the game's IQ better especially with such a perfomance hit. I personlly like the vanilla look better.

The new Texture Detail feature is IMO a joke. Can't believe that they thought that it would make the game's IQ better especially with such a perfomance hit. I personlly like the vanilla look better.
Yup. It's just a different presentation of the same crap textures with some subjective improvements that carry some caveats indeed. These textures sometimes have bad compression artifacts and sharpening that stuff is just dumb.

Sounds like an interesting benchmark if nothing else IMO. It's about time there was somrthing out there that could make my 2500K work for its money.

Someone asked about adjusting this stuff

vt_upsamplefilter 1-7 -> what upscaling filter is used
vt_upsamplenoise -> how much of this detail layer
vt_upsamplesharpen -> controls texture sharpening

Fecksake NOT AGAIN! Get your act together, AMD!

I haven't bothered with updating to 12.1 WHQL yet, and if the Rage circus continues this month also I won't bother. Right now I'm so fed up I'll just rather never buy another AMD video board again ever, and I'm not even that big a fan of this game (the shooting is fine, but the racing bits suck ass IMO.)

Fecksake NOT AGAIN! Get your act together, AMD!

I haven't bothered with updating to 12.1 WHQL yet, and if the Rage circus continues this month also I won't bother. Right now I'm so fed up I'll just rather never buy another AMD video board again ever, and I'm not even that big a fan of this game (the shooting is fine, but the racing bits suck ass IMO.)

I've played with 12.2 preview without prblems first. Then I've seen Spyre's posting and went back to 12.1a, no changes for me.

I don't understand why this is such an epic challenge for AMD. Maybe there really isn't a problem though from what arnold said.

Back