RAGE: That's actually what you do when trying to get the PC version to work

Has what been fixed...?

If you're speaking generally about running Rage on AMD hardware, then yes, and no. Some bugs were squashed in the newest driver (11.11), while new bugs were introduced. I *could* run Rage with no apparent problems using a previous Rage preview version two driver, but now I get flashing textures during gameplay. It's rather distracting really.

I'm getting low FPS between 30 and 40 (never had 60 ever!), with black missing textures and lots of texture popping at 720p on a q6600 with 5870 :(, the game seem cool but i'm going to uninstall it until i get better performance and they fix the popping.

I'm getting low FPS between 30 and 40 (never had 60 ever!), with black missing textures and lots of texture popping at 720p on a q6600 with 5870 :(, the game seem cool but i'm going to uninstall it until i get better performance and they fix the popping.

My 6950 runs the game OK. But frankly there are 3 yr old NV cards that run it better.

Sounds like a hdd issue as well.

FAN-F'ING TASTIC!

Rage runs GREAT (for me! anyway) with this driver! Why the hell didn't AMD release this version to begin with...? It fixes all the issues I had with the game; bad framerate (I can now run 2600 rez with 4x MSAA entirely smooth basically 95+ percent of the time using smart vsynch), and the flashing textures.

The only issue is the game still "fades in" high-res textures whenever you zone into a level, but this is not driver related I trust, and it only takes a few seconds tops for the game to load up the relevant texture pages anyway so it's not worth yakking about really. It looks a little wonky; the game could surely just show the load screen for 3 seconds longer and you'd never know, but whatta hey. No biggie.

Also, the game should of course load textures 360 degrees around my character, and not just those right in front of me. But again, I spin around once after changing level, and the short episode is over.

The important thing is, this game is now playable, it runs fast and smooth, and it's fun again to play.

Well done, AMD! Finally. And don't screw up any more driver releases, please. :p

AMD just needs to be more proactive with their drivers. Procrastinating driver development for a big title is a bad call but they repeatedly do it.

BTW, anyone see Rage benchmarked with Bulldozer? I'm curious about it because the game should be able to spread its transcoding over all 8 threads.

AMD just needs to be more proactive with their drivers. Procrastinating driver development for a big title is a bad call but they repeatedly do it.

BTW, anyone see Rage benchmarked with Bulldozer? I'm curious about it because the game should be able to spread its transcoding over all 8 threads.

I think anand did it. The 2700 still beats it.

The only issue is the game still "fades in" high-res textures whenever you zone into a level, but this is not driver related I trust, and it only takes a few seconds tops for the game to load up the relevant texture pages anyway so it's not worth yakking about really. It looks a little wonky; the game could surely just show the load screen for 3 seconds longer and you'd never know, but whatta hey. No biggie.

That is a really interesting design decision from my perspective. It is truly amazing how fast the levels load compared to similar games, but I don't know if it was a good choice b/c of what you are saying. Some are probably very put off by it. I like it being ~=done quickly personally.

It's a shame I've just finished the game as the good AMD drivers have arrived. The game does end up fizzling out at the second town as if they just ran out of time and rushed to finish it.

Rage does look good with megatexture, and the animations are great, but I think Borderlands is still the superior game of this type, especially when you consider all the DLC. BL just hangs together better as a more polished and cohesive game, with a better sense of the huge environment that Rage tries for and fails at.

Some news about the patch? Or are AMD drivers still not stable enough?
I've bought the game for 25 EUR and finished it last sunday. I really liked. But the end... You know Quake 4 in Rage isn't a good idea.

My pc: HD4850&Q6600 with 11.11c (Win7 x64) and Rage runs great.

Yea the end was a huge disappointment and pretty much soured me completely to the game. They foreshadowed the end area through most of the game but in the end it was that short and sad little corridor crawl like Q4 indeed.

I've been playing this on and off over the past few weeks (when ever i get the chance), and i'm really enjoying it, it's great fun. The shooting anf mouse look just feels 'right' in the way Quake etc. did. I had real issues getting it to run, with freezes lasting 10-15 seconds every 2 or 3 seconds. I finally got it running ok by disabling Cat AI on the Sept drivers, although driving was a bit of a slide show. I then tried the special Rage drivers and they seemed to work (can't remember what I did) and the game rane great.

Just got to the Wellspring Well and deep in the well it turns into a slide show :( So I decided to try the latest cats and it's back to the constant freezing again, remove and re-install the Rage cats and it's still the same. Got I hate AMD/ATI. I was going to get a 7 series card early next year but I think i'll have to consider the nVidia option, as i've had it with the ATi, the've had loads of time to fix this now :(

Just got to the Wellspring Well and deep in the well it turns into a slide show :( So I decided to try the latest cats and it's back to the constant freezing again, remove and re-install the Rage cats and it's still the same. Got I hate AMD/ATI. I was going to get a 7 series card early next year but I think i'll have to consider the nVidia option, as i've had it with the ATi, the've had loads of time to fix this now :(

Use the 11.11c hotfix rather than the latest official Catalyst - it's the one with all the Rage fixes.

Yea the end was a huge disappointment and pretty much soured me completely to the game. They foreshadowed the end area through most of the game but in the end it was that short and sad little corridor crawl like Q4 indeed.

I think the end could have been fun with only minor changes, but yes it just wasn't up to par with the rest of the game. Maybe next time they can work on the end first :) I guess this way people finish it though since there are really good parts all the way to the end.

I found this funny
There is objective data in automatic console crash reports showing that Rage, despite being bleeding edge in many ways, is remarkably more robust than most contemporary titles. The PC launch of Rage was unfortunately tragically flawed due to driver problems — I’ll wager AMD does not use static code analysis on their graphics drivers.
http://altdevblogaday.com/2011/12/24/static-code-analysis/

As i said myself rage was for me one of the most stable games I ever played right from the get go.

He talked about their little exploration and love of static code analysis for like a half hour during his super long keynote last summer. He said they got Rage squeaky clean.

He talked about their little exploration and love of static code analysis for like a half hour during his super long keynote last summer. He said they got Rage squeaky clean.

Yeah I remember, but I liked the info about crash reports. That would be so awesome if they actually released such data so one could see how much difference there actually was. I do wonder what "remarkably" better means. I can certainly attest though that it was the most stable of any game I played upon release, but I had an nvidia card. I don't know if it ever crashed. I had the input stutter problem, but that was my own fault IMO for being stupid and forgetting I had mouse without borders connecting my laptop input devices to my desktop and then all the devices on the desktop as well.

Back