RAGE: That's actually what you do when trying to get the PC version to work

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about baked lighting being an artistic constraint. I'm saying unique texturing is gated by artwork. As you yourself correctly mentioned before in this thread, the two (baked lighting, unique texturing) are not necessarily related, though the later does provide better quality options to the former.

Anyone who hasn't seen the Jackal canyon yet should not be allowed to comment on the game IMHO. Really amazing visuals, mood, and the gameplay is kinda fun too.

I think dead city topped Jackal canyon personally, but both were pretty awesome. I did like the balloons, they should have had even more swarming though.

I do see the repeating-textures-in-other-games-argument a lot. But did they uniquely texture everything in RAGE? I can see that the technology supports it, but I doubt that they have anywhere near the necessary manpower to give each pixel a unique look. They probably have repeated textures with some unique elements here and there.

I am sure they do, but that isn't the point. It is a tradeoff. IT looks unique everywhere more or less so they did a good job. Maybe they could repeat more and still have the unique look. If they could it would save more time.

There are obviously differences in the attention that each area has received, and sometimes it's clearly visible that the area has been mapped with tiling textures and then someone moved in with the stamping tool to remove the repetition.

But most places do look more varied, hand crafted, richer, you can really see how nearly every element has been created uniquely. These scenes are truly impossible to match with any other approach, especially because id has managed to hire some of the best artists in the entire industry and they really delivered their best work here, free from most of the usual constraints.

Just to put it in perspective, the amount of texture data used in most of these areas is so big that without virtual texturing, even a single scene would probably be impossible to render on the consoles, or a PC with a 1GB graphics card.

I do see the repeating-textures-in-other-games-argument a lot. But did they uniquely texture everything in RAGE? I can see that the technology supports it, but I doubt that they have anywhere near the necessary manpower to give each pixel a unique look. They probably have repeated textures with some unique elements here and there.

Sort of. I hopped in on my friends comp in Dead City and started scoping in on window textures. A prime candidate for repeating textures, and all were somewhat unique. It probably is as Laa-Yosh mentioned, a base texture with different effect "stamps" or something similar. But the end result is that even with obssessive compulsive looking for repeating textures I couldn't find any there.

Then I thought oh the cars in dead city surely are similar. But they aren't either. I have a feeling the scavengable loot props (food cans, beer bottles, suitcases, etc.) are probably repeating but there's rarely enough of them in a single location where that becomes an issue.

As soon as I'm sure all the bugs with regards to AMD hardware is ironed out, this will be a must buy for me. I absolutely hate blurry textures, but I also hate repeating textures. I'm realist enough to understand that it is not currently possible to have both at the same time with current technology. Thus, this is to me, just a groundbreaking and breathtaking as a game would be if it came out with incredibly sharp looking and detailed textures.

Regards,
SB

Yes it makes things feel so good and alive. In magic land hopefully doom would have dynamic lighting as well that would really bring things to life.

Not likely, as the multiplayer will still run at 60 fps and so they'll probably use the extra processing/graphics power only to show more content (Carmack literally said that they could do twice as many demons this way)

That seems interesting. But adding additional detail to scenes, I have also seen it in an engines like Cryengine 3. Ofcourse, this gives much more flexibility.

Sorry but what is the point of your comment? Adding aditional detail to scenes has been seen before? Yeah since games existed almost. It isn't like cryengine or tech5 were the first to add additional detail to a scene. The point is what is the repercussion of doing so and how does one go about it.

The mention of a bookmark system is a relief. In ETQW anytime you changed the MT you would need to redo all the stamps (since they were baked directly). I wonder if the system is robust enough to withstand minor geometry corrections too.

You've all watched his Quakecon talk, right? Dynamic lighting was left out for performance reasons. It's a must-watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zgYG-_ha28

The problem with the last level is it wasn't fun, and I was expecting some kind of showdown with the main bad guy, not "derp mutant derp shotgun" over and over. Other than that, it's so much better than Doom 3 it's not even worth trying to compare the two.

Sorry but what is the point of your comment? Adding aditional detail to scenes has been seen before? Yeah since games existed almost. It isn't like cryengine or tech5 were the first to add additional detail to a scene. The point is what is the repercussion of doing so and how does one go about it.
It is relevant to the discussion we were having about the virtues of mega texture as a technology.

So DLC was brought up in the Doom 4 thread, so I thought I'd ask the question here:

Are there plans for it? How would they go about integrating it? Just more side-missions or weapons or...? Can they add it to the existing data/world? How does the engine look for mission data?

Someone spoiler me on how Rage is split up so that you don't revisit the first half of the game world (or however Willits mentioned trying to fit and split the game on 360 discs). :p

Can you roam around the world after the end-game sequence?

Back