RAGE: That's actually what you do when trying to get the PC version to work

I think the more important question is, how much could proper hardware support reduce the worst case scenarios? Let's not forget that the megatexture component of the Rage engine is mostly a DX6-7 based system, so a big hack around various hardware limitations. I'm sure the efficiency could be improved, but I wonder how much some dedicated GPU support would actually help...

What's the deal with AMD's new GCN architecture regarding this? I recall reading something about "partially resident textures", and wavey described it as some sort of virtual texturing at the hardware level.

Get this - I just tried it on my old 8800GT 512MB that I have at work in a Phenom II X2 box. It pulls 60 fps at 1680x1050. I even tried the 8K texture tweak and it is still at 60fps most of the time with the exception of some stuttering when I do a sudden 180. This is barely fitting in 512MB (GPUZ says around 500MB VRAM usage).

Weird, I'm running it on an 8800 gt and q6600, 4096 is as high as I can go w/o stuttering, flickering, or other problems. These were my tweak settings in the config vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 4096
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 4096
vt_pageimagesizeunique 4096
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 4096
vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4
vt_maxPPF 16
vt_cudaBudget 16.6
vt_useCudaTranscode 0

Weird, I'm running it on an 8800 gt and q6600, 4096 is as high as I can go w/o stuttering, flickering, or other problems. These were my tweak settings in the config vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 4096
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 4096
vt_pageimagesizeunique 4096
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 4096
vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4
vt_maxPPF 16
vt_cudaBudget 16.6
vt_useCudaTranscode 0

lowering cuda budget gives you higher framerates but pop-ins rise.. default is 14 and i advise you set it 10.. and set cuda 1 if your gpu is not enough, game automaticaly forces cpu so you have loss there.. 0 only cpu, 1 cpu/gpu, 2 only gpu

In the future, I just hope id learns from this. Especially for DOOM which always was the id Tech 5 game I was really looking forward to. At the very least Carmack should smash some skulls over at NV/AMD. Yes, nvidia, even they had to rush out a driver after the game's release. Or better yet, as Carmack said many times the renderer is API agnostic because of its multiplatform nature go ahead and ship for Direct3D, even as an alternative renderer (Unreal 1 style).

That isn't true though it ran perfect for me on old Nvidia drivers as well (whql from July). I upgraded later just b/c it seemed the thing to do.

Sorry Sxotty, I tried to copy the relevant post over, but my OP was relegated to the last post because the posts were sorted chronologically.

I've added two links to the previous thread in the OP. One to the thread itself and one to the point where the game release-related discussion begun.
How is that a problem? They were written prior to yours :)

Anyway here

Sxotty said:
Does fraps have a maximum length of movie or something? It cut off my movie at the end. I drove over to the same spot as Swaaye to show you what I see when I play the game. FRAPS obviously made it worse since it dragged it below 60fps and made it a bit jerky. I tried to get the same spot though, plus you get to see my awesome driving skills (that is sarcasm).

digitalwanderer said:
Yeah, but this time he's right and I like what he's doing. Bethesda can ignore screaming fanboys, but screaming owners of one of the biggest hardware/gaming sites on the net I bet they'll sit up and take notice of.

I approves.
No he is wrong the game is awesome. That is the thing about opinions everyone has one. Seriously though this is my favorite game since playing painkiller at least.

But it is not at all like painkiller. I am not trying to say it is. Just that I am enjoying it as much. It is just plain fun. The driving is fun, the shooting is fun. The weapons have a nice feel. And I really like that I buy ammo so I can use weapons I want when I want. (In HL2 they gave you a box of rockets so you could actually shoot rockets in the helicopter action scene etc... You got to carry 12 magnum rounds and 10 crossbow bolts. It annoyed me to no end b/c even if the ammo is hard to come by I like to stock it up to use all at once) I don't want to sound like a sadistic mofo, but it is fun to shoot the AI and have them fall flat on their ass. Or shoot at you from the ground once you have shot them down. Also the off hand weapon (wingstick) is really fun to use...
The only areas so far that I dislike is the invisible wall thing common to way to many games. There are already a few spots I think they could have made the flow more fun. The wasteland right in front of wellspring has a good jump, but it goes to a dead end. It would be better if the driver could jump back around a corner to the base etc..

With transcoding off I got up to 85% CPU utilization and averaged 70% driving about like a madman. With transcoding on I got 76% Max and 61% average.
(driving back and forth from wellspring to gearhead area both times)

Swaaye said:
I see 90-100% CPU usage of my Q6600 quad. I guess we have quite the threaded game here, as Sxotty has been showing too.

I tried the NV tweaks on my 6950. They clear up a lot of texture swapping. But, I found that sometimes when I load the game it is very stuttery while other times it is smooth. And during a mission there were problems rendering the gun and enemy models. So I dumped the tweaks. I also had my first game crash, on the 6950, even with no tweaks.

I'd say that id and AMD need to clean some things up.

Dead City could be better if you did not have a linear path, but it is jaw droppingly awesome anyway. Got me the most jittery since the insane asylum level on thief 3
s0

John Reynolds said:
Shalebridge Cradle, spookiest f'n environment in any electronic game I've ever played.

BTW I haven't finished dead city, but I just did the boss fight which used the same HL2 mechanic of rocket launchers and ammo spawning that I detest. I am generally not that huge a fan of boss fights and it was a bit of a let down. The art was so great and the rest of the level so nice that I wish they just left the boss out entirely. The suspense would be just as good, and it would be more realistic (hah can that be applied here) if you just avoided a confrontation with him. Having a large wave of mutants attack from some of the cool set pieces would be better IMO.

PS I emailed Kyle since he was using the front page to compare a modded Doom3 shot to a crappy spot in Rage. I thought maybe he wasn't aware the shot was modded and was therefore making the false comparison on the front page on accident instead of on purpose. Anyway he wasn't to interested in reality I think he is a person that will stick to his guns in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Ah well.

I read negative complaining about every game that comes out. Crysis 2 is hated yet I found it entertaining. Crysis 1 is apparently a mindless tech demo. Deus Ex HR is hated by some even though it's pretty clear that it is an excellent game overall. Fallout 3. STALKER. Bioshock. Doom3. Every game is ripped apart for every reason that one can imagine. If you haven't played a game I don't think it's wise to go on a witty tirade about how bad it is.

Well witty tirades are often best unpolluted by experience :)

But I agree that overall people are a bit silly and herd mentality most of the people whinging and complaining don't even have the game nor have they played it. It is a real challenge though b/c personally I think reviews are generally crap, but without a demo what is a person to do? BTW I actually understand why a demo could be hard to make, but they should have allowed the well level or something. Probably just doing the well or something would be feasible. Some like the ghost clan where you can see out to the wasteland from inside obviously could not work.

How is that a problem? They were written prior to yours :)
True, but it would defeat the whole point of having an opening post that describes, albeit sarcastically, the game. And I didn't erase from the board the existing posts.

Well witty tirades are often best unpolluted by experience :)

But I agree that overall people are a bit silly and herd mentality most of the people whinging and complaining don't even have the game nor have they played it. It is a real challenge though b/c personally I think reviews are generally crap, but without a demo what is a person to do?

The thing is it's not the reviews that disappointed me, as I said, I didn't even expect the game to be anything special, just a good old-school shooter with a racing twist, the whole set in a relatively open wasteland. And that's what the reviews say so far. And it's not like I'd trust mainstream reviews to talk about performance issues. Especially when it comes to multi-platform games, since they more often than not review the Xbox 360 version of the game.

No, the issue we hear about comes from the customers themselves. Tons of folks on PC are having a mediocre experience with the game because of various technical issues. Of course, as I said earlier in the thread, if you're willing to put that aside, take a chance or at least put up with the tweaking and unstable performance (on AMD GPUs), and jump into the game experience, you might end up having a good time. It's just that some of us don't feel like it's worth it at the moment.

lowering cuda budget gives you higher framerates but pop-ins rise.. default is 14 and i advise you set it 10.. and set cuda 1 if your gpu is not enough, game automaticaly forces cpu so you have loss there.. 0 only cpu, 1 cpu/gpu, 2 only gpu

I appreciate the input, but the game actually runs very well w/ the settings I posted. I was more curious as to how swaaye got it to run w/ the 8k textures on an 8800gt and I can only get to 4k textures before studders and freezing.

I appreciate the input, but the game actually runs very well w/ the settings I posted. I was more curious as to how swaaye got it to run w/ the 8k textures on an 8800gt and I can only get to 4k textures before studders and freezing.

I used:
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_restart

I'm sure this is going to run the card out of RAM. At the gas station it was at 500 MB. That's just too full and when it starts swapping over PCIe it's going to stutter. A 1GB card is needed. I think the game's default settings target a 512MB card.

Actually I just got done with a long session on my GTX 560 1GB and at the crazy resolution I'm using (2720x1536) I think 1GB isn't enough either. I was at 900+ MB VRAM usage.

I hope they will iron it out in time however this makes me wonder, if some people have bad texture pop-in now, what happens to that whole request for a higher Texture res pack from the PC crowd?

Wouldn't that just make it worse?:p

Even if they double what we have I wonder how much of an improvement if would be. 50GB download anyone? Carmack said in his talk that they have terabytes of art over there.

Rage is 100% unplayable on my PC,
on XP with 10.9 there is some artifacts and the pop in is awful, whenever you move the mouse, even if slowly,
on windows 7 is even worse, the game just freezes for a long period before working for a second or so, installing the Rage performance driver helped a bit, the artifacts are gone but the freezing remains...
the funny thing is that on XP is much better (no freezing), but the pop in still awful and AMD didn't release the Rage driver for XP...............

While id says XP SP3 is supported, if the graphics companies don't release drivers you are out of luck. On 7 you need that beta driver but even then AMD has problems. NV works fine though. Supposedly more new drivers are forthcoming.

So...should I buy the game on my PC? I have a 480GTX...and am interested in the game, as it looked great back at gamescom...however I don't want to spend all time tweaking some settings...and I don't want those texture pop ins either!

should I buy a hardcopy and install the game on my SSD (would this improve texture performance?)...my steam folder is on the standard HDD as I only have 60Gig SSD, and I am not sure if I can change the folder for RAGE download in steam...

It's a Steamworks game, so it's going in a Steam folder either regardless of if you download it or buy retail. That said, I'd bet you could copy the necessary Steam and game files to your SSD and run it from that. I doubt you'd feel the need though, as I've only seen very minor pop in with my GTX 470 and standard drives.

Rage is 100% unplayable on my PC,
on XP with 10.9 there is some artifacts and the pop in is awful, whenever you move the mouse, even if slowly,
on windows 7 is even worse, the game just freezes for a long period before working for a second or so, installing the Rage performance driver helped a bit, the artifacts are gone but the freezing remains...
the funny thing is that on XP is much better (no freezing), but the pop in still awful and AMD didn't release the Rage driver for XP...............

what card do you have? It seems like a 48xx problem.
Only thing that works is to use 11.9 drivers on win 7 and disable catalyst AI. though the fps tanks.

It's a Steamworks game, so it's going in a Steam folder either regardless of if you download it or buy retail. That said, I'd bet you could copy the necessary Steam and game files to your SSD and run it from that. I doubt you'd feel the need though, as I've only seen very minor pop in with my GTX 470 and standard drives.

What about symlinking the game directory from the steamapps to a folder on his ssd, would that work?

just bought it via steam...downloading at 11.8MB/s ... yeah, me likes my 100MBit connection :cool:

my local gamestop (those idiots) did not have a ICO&Shadow of the Colossus copy left for me...so RAGE it is then...wonder how this game turns out...

I hope they will iron it out in time however this makes me wonder, if some people have bad texture pop-in now, what happens to that whole request for a higher Texture res pack from the PC crowd?

Wouldn't that just make it worse?:p

Actually I thought about that at the very beginning of all this whining and think it fairly likely they wont bother releasing it since people with slow PCs and crappy drivers will just bitch and moan about it. Remember Crysis? People threw a fit b/c they could not max it out. I did not want to post it b/c if it hadn't crossed their minds yet I did not want to plant the seed.

True, but it would defeat the whole point of having an opening post that describes, albeit sarcastically, the game. And I didn't erase from the board the existing posts.

Yeah but since you did not actually play it your description is lacking :) It is better when someone actually has experience.

AMD is still releasing regularly new drivers for XP, I was using the same 11.9 version on both,
and on XP it's noticeable better, a lot less freezing, but with artifacts and huge pop in problems,
but AMD only released their new "Rage fix" driver for win7, but anyway, it's not useful for me, because while it solved the artifacts the huge freezes are still there and a lot worse than on XP with the "old" driver, it's completely unplayable
I'm using a HD5750...

Back