Emulated PS2 titles coming to PSN

Are these PSN games tied to your account ? So if my hdd died, I can redownload everything purchased or do I have to rebuy everything again ?

Just had to ask before I go on buying spree.

Yep.

Kim Possible has nice cellshading too btw, parricularly for a 2.5D platformer

Well, I bought "Maximo vs Army of Zin" yesterday, and given that I have a PS3 without any PS2 HW so it certainly runs without that.
Some things I noted:
  • Sound can skip/echo sometimes. Really looks like software emulation issues and I hope this gets fixed.
  • Graphics look surprisingly good, and smoothing adds some kinda MLAA.
  • To me it seems that the emulator generates interlaced fields, and then fixes that up with filters. Some kinda artifacts you (rarely) see with text (not using smoothing)
  • you get the choice between native res (480p, stretched), and 720p (both aspect corrected or stretched to full screen). which means in 720p your PS3 scales to 720p and the tv to 1080p - which makes it hard to determine what filtering/scaling exactly is happening. would like a 1080p mode so scaling could (atleast theoretical) be optimal.

Did you have to re-sync your controller when you started and exited the game?

Well, I bought "Maximo vs Army of Zin" yesterday, and given that I have a PS3 without any PS2 HW so it certainly runs without that.
Some things I noted:
  • Sound can skip/echo sometimes. Really looks like software emulation issues and I hope this gets fixed.
  • Graphics look surprisingly good, and smoothing adds some kinda MLAA.
  • To me it seems that the emulator generates interlaced fields, and then fixes that up with filters. Some kinda artifacts you (rarely) see with text (not using smoothing)
  • you get the choice between native res (480p, stretched), and 720p (both aspect corrected or stretched to full screen). which means in 720p your PS3 scales to 720p and the tv to 1080p - which makes it hard to determine what filtering/scaling exactly is happening. would like a 1080p mode so scaling could (atleast theoretical) be optimal.

Hmm... is there a demo ? I am curious to see an example. ^_^

How big is the game ? Is it bit identical to an equivalent PS2 .iso file ?

Hmm... is there a demo ? I am curious to see an example. ^_^
Well, there werent demos of PS2 games?
Anything special you want to see an example of? I can try screenshots.
How big is the game ? Is it bit identical to an equivalent PS2 .iso file ?
1.2GB. I dont think it would ever be bit-identical to a iso file, its rather compressed in a container together with some stuff like icons and metadata (like PSOne classics). Im not sure I can even get the file out of my PS3, actually I really doubt it

Oh, and some other thing: the "manual" is one screen with the controls described, and some note that mentions this is an emulated PSOne game :D
Dunno if this was an oversight for this game only, or if Sony forgot to change a few strings after copy-and-paste in the firmware

Well, there werent demos of PS2 games?
Anything special you want to see an example of? I can try screenshots.

It's fine. I wanted to see the game in action. Sony used to show interview videos with real-time debug stats overlaid on the gameplay. It'd be cool if they do the same for a few PS2 games.

I didn't think I'll see a PS2 game emulated on a PS3. Are more coming in bulk ? Or are they trickling through one by one ?

Oh, and some other thing: the "manual" is one screen with the controls described, and some note that mentions this is an emulated PSOne game :D
Dunno if this was an oversight for this game only, or if Sony forgot to change a few strings after copy-and-paste in the firmware

That's Sony being Sony. I think there was (is ?) a PSN message for Vita that tells us to quit to XMB.

dunno, in Euro-Land 27 PS2-Classics where released at once on feb.15 . thats a bit meager to extrapolate anything =).
Thruth to be told I would prefer HD-remakes (with bundled Vita-versions) over PS2 classics.

Are these PSN games tied to your account ? So if my hdd died, I can redownload everything purchased or do I have to rebuy everything again ?

Just had to ask before I go on buying spree.

You can redownload any psn purchases as much as you want.

Pinch me, no slap me,... bite me. I think I`m dreaming...
Just noted the "PS2 Classics" are now on PSN, I am considering getting the Maximos. Anyone already spent money on some PS2 games?
do you get some decent upscaling or better filtering?
do discs from games that are supported (sold in the store) work? (I guess not)
I`d also like to know if the Maximo version is the unplayable European 50Hz slow-as-molasses one... guess its time to order an US PSN Card... just to be sure.

Being ever pessimistic I guess having those PS2 games on PSN makes a "HD remaster" unlikely.
No, I already tried GrimGrimoire. I'm kinda bummed, because I finally got around to playing it after my BC PS3 died, and my PS2 was having issues with component out (had to use composite on an HDTV, ugh). I really wish I could've played it on my slim PS3. :(

It's annoying that there's absolutely no consideration for people who own the discs; no free version ala the 360's Xbox 1 BC, no discount, nothing.
Is it really running on a PS2 software emulator ? I still find it hard to believe.
Aside from the evidence that's been posted so far, look at the list of games that have been released in Europe and try to convince us anything other than pure emulation is going on. :)

Aside from the evidence that's been posted so far, look at the list of games that have been released in Europe and try to convince us anything other than pure emulation is going on. :)

Ah, I have to convince myself about that pure PS2 software emulation first. I still can't get past step one unfortunately.

EDIT: And you ! You never told me you got into PS Suite closed beta:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35507175&postcount=14

androvsky said:
Sony has been pretty clear publicly that PS Suite is available for non-game apps. As for how open it is, I managed to get into the closed beta, so it's probably going to be fairly open. ;)

I understand that it isn't a technical comment, but all i need is for Ring of Red to be released on the UK PSN...

... that is all.

As you were folks ;-)

Back