Sony Vita Games Thread

Japan has their nico nico apps, which is basically Youtube for Japan. So Im sure they will have youtube support sometime down the road. Sony also said they are talking to adobe for flash support, but that was before Adobe say they are going to drop flash on mobile so who knows whats going to happen.

Japan has their nico nico apps, which is basically Youtube for Japan. So Im sure they will have youtube support sometime down the road. Sony also said they are talking to adobe for flash support, but that was before Adobe say they are going to drop flash on mobile so who knows whats going to happen.

I really hope they don't waste their time on flash and just move on with full HTML5 support. The web browser gets a score of 53 on html5test.com. 53!! That's just a little bit above Internet Explorer 8 (which got a 42) and that browser is 3 years old!

Spent a few hours with my 3G Vita, and a few games and here are some initial thoughts:

HARDWARE:Sony proves once again they're top notch hardware engineers. The physical build of the device feels very sturdy. So from nuts to bolts--it's just a wonderful thing to hold, and oh man that OLED is goddamn gorgeous. I feel like if I were to drop the device on my kitchen floor it would probably survive without cracking screen (not testing that!). I'm still not sure how the Vita will fit into my life--as I just got it--because I love it, but it's just not small enough to tuck into my pocket. It seems it'll be for couch while my wife plays SKyrim for the next 2 years and, of course, travel.

OS & UI: Although at first a little awkward to use, it turns out I really like the look and feel of the interface. It's fast, responsive and mostly intuitive once you understand the format. When you tap an icon to launch the game, it instantly goes to a start-up screen where there are links to start the game, read the manual, go get DLC (if available), visit the website (if available) and a few other things. Not all games include all the stuff, but in my experience most appear to. It doesnt feel cluttered or overbearing to me, and really apprecaite the digital manual thing.

Applications close instantly, with a simple press of the home button and a quick swiping--love it.

The screen treads downward as you install new software. Like iOS there are little dots along the side so you can see what page you're on. So far I have not found a way to remove icons though. When I put in my copy of Ninja Gaiden Sigma, is prompted to install (huh?) and did so in about 2 seconds and now the icon sits there even when the cart is removed.

The virtual keyboard layout is also very similar to iOS where the key you hit pops up over your finger so you can see what character is hit, and I like it. However the autocomplete isnt nearly as competent, but at least it's there.

Trying to set up the 3G account thing with ATT was a nightmare, but perhaps not necicarily at the fault of Sony or ATT. Though I already have a mobile account, I couldnt remember my login to the ATT website. Trying to reset my password sucked. The dropdown security menus to answer the security questions didnt work on the Vita. I tried various other ways and finally gave up. I tried for a good 30 minutes, mainly because I wanted SSDD, but eventually just spent the $15 on the game. It was worth the frustration (and wasted time, now that I'm a daddy).

Also, in the inital setup I had to login with a temp account to update the Vita firmware in order to get my regular PSN to work. But the fun didnt end there. Initially my account was recognized either, despite being 100% certain I was inputting the correct username and password. Heck I even changed my password twice on my PS3 to make sure of it! I was 2 seconds away from calling Sony support until I plugged the Vita into my PS3 and it prompted "would you like to use the current account on your PS3?" I said yes, input the same password I've been using and it connected--YES!!

Transfering all the games over (6) from my PS3 to the Vita was slow, but there was also 8GB of data to move (read: not copy). But the interface to do all this worked well enough.

(Note: I've not beat any of these games, this are initial impressions so my opinions could change!)

(9/10) Rayman Origins: The showpiece! This is the software you're going to pull out to show off what the Vita is capable of, and in particular how beautiful the OLED screen really is. But if you're not aware, Rayman Origins is cheeky and fun and worth the $40.

(8/10) Mutant Blog Attacks: An underrated, great game I hope people don't pass on, especially for the price. In fact it's probably tied with my second favorite Vita title (Super Stardust Delta). It's wacky, fun, easy to jump in and out of. It's like a 2D Katamari. You roll around collecting junk to get bigger, so it's got a puzzle aspect to it. Is it better than Katamari, I dont know because I've not played it yet, but it's a lot cheaper. :)

(7/10) Lumines: It's Lumines, but with more Electronic Symphony.

(5/10) Dungeon Hunter: It's ok, but not really worht the $40 they're asking. Pick it up when it hits $15-$20 unless you're dying for a dungeon crawler.

(3/10) Asphalt Injection: Pretty bland and boring. The graphics are mostly a bore (but hey there's lens flare!), the physicals model is mostly nonexistent, the car handling is mediocre, the female commentator talks to you like you're a horny 13 yr old boy and the music is lame. You drive a car and there are things to unlock and upgrade. Word.

(7/10) Army Corps of Hell: So far I really like this game. It follows in the footsteps of Pikmin where you have a bunch of little creatures who follow you and do your bidding. It's fun, gory and coupled with really bad 80's thrash metal (which I sorta love). Cool game!

(6/10) Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus: If I'm not mistaken, it's a remake of a remake. It's not 60 frames and closer to 30, but it still looks great. I think purist might be a little turned off by that but I think it's pretty cool and kinda hard so far. If you like NG you'll like this IF you've not played Sigma.

(8/10) Super Stardust Delta: ...more more more SSD! I love it, and the controls, though a tad awkward at first, work well too. A fairly good looking game, great framerate and just so much fun.

...Still waiting to check out Uncharted, Gravity Rush (!), Hot Shots Golf, Virtua Tennis 2 and a few others I can't think of right now.

edit: updated some info and added some more opinion.

I echo much of Warcrow's well thought out post. The 3G Vita is a wonderful piece of tech.. And strangely, in spite of some rather damning criticisms of the OS and UI I actually like it. Alot.

It's very responsive and completely easy (even natural) to use.

My only complaint is that it took me a while to figure out HOW to close other apps in the background and everything must be done through the front touch screen.. I'd like to be able to do a few things by using the rear track pad or the analog sticks\d-pad. Like select songs or navigate.

Well, that and the browser needs to support HTML5\Flash. Not being able to watch videos sucks.

But those are relatively minor gripes. I'm astounded at how fast you can do things. Exit a game? BAM done. Exit an app? INSTANTLY! Faster than the consoles..

I'm.. Floored, by how amazing this piece of kit is guys.

So I guess my greatest gripe is that my damn games haven't arrived yet rofl! Until then, I shall peruse Netflix.

Oh, and I'm a bit erked that Sony's "free Super Stardust Delta title" requires me to activate the data plan and then wait thirty days for a redeemable code from them. It's also kind of sneeky that they mention how a 'free data connect plan" is included with the 3G Vita, but like the "free PSN game" you only get that once you activate and pay out of pocket for a plan from AT&T.

Oh.. And one other thing, the content manager is totally borked. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I see no way to manually organize your media files by folder.

=(

Lol so I've mentioned like 3 things about the Vita I don't like, but overall this is an amazing device and I'm ecstatic about it. Literally the near perfect portable gaming device.

Yeah it's on by default. Just tilt a bit in the direction you want. Seems to be reverse from what you expect initially though for left and right, may try to change that if there are settings. I could definitely see it work. Haven't gotten used to it quite yet.

It's definitely true that Uncharted is less a pick-up-and-play game than some other games, but that's ok of course.

Yap, I figured out how Gyro Aiming works. Had to move my arms more than I expected. ^_^

Had my Vita for a day and here are my thoughts.

1) The browser sucks balls. No HTML5 support means good-bye web video.
2) The keyboard sucks balls. As far as I know, this is Sony's first ground-up touch keyboard, and they left out even the most basic conventions: double-tap space to insert a period. Plus the 2ndary layout for numbers and special characters is weird.
3) This thing desperately needs a YouTube app.

It plays games very well, but everything else is very 1.0. Thankfully, these are all software problems that can be fixed down the road. The 5" OLED screen tempts you to use it for non-gaming activities, but they really need to smooth out the rough edges. Hopefully it'll get better in the future.

The virtual keyboard is actually one of my favorite features about the Vita browser. Sure it is different from iOS layout, but it's optimized for the bigger screen. After a while, I got used to it and can type faster on Vita compared to my 4S or even iPad. Main difference is the auto text completion, it works very well and remembers your last used words. The larger keys also help. That's why the Vita browser is now my preferred way to browse Internet fora on-the-go. ^_^

The only problem is the lack of cut-and-paste + drag select. Hope Sony treats Vita as a general purpose OS and adds more text services to it. [EDIT: The text edit field also forgot to capitalize the first word. It will do so only if preceded by a period. Since I make fewer typos on Vita compared to other mobile devices, all in all, still :love: surfing on the browser. It's a delight to use mainly because the UI is scaringly responsive.]

But yes, YouTube is probably the most requested app now.

I'd like a simple photo editing tool too for fudging with screenshots.

My guess is HTML5 audio and video tag support should be in the browser already. Both NetFront browsers support them. Not sure what's holding Sony up.

Oh.. And one other thing, the content manager is totally borked. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I see no way to manually organize your media files by folder.

=(

Lol so I've mentioned like 3 things about the Vita I don't like, but overall this is an amazing device and I'm ecstatic about it. Literally the near perfect portable gaming device.

Yes ! Sony should add internal file organization widgets. My pr0n is now mixed up with my family media. Not so cool ! :devilish:

Speaking of videos, I just transferred a bunch of trailers (the usual suspects like Assassin's Creed-anything, Prey 2 and Deus Ex) from my PS3 to the Vita, and man, do they look gorgeous on the screen. Unfortunately it only works up to 720p, so I guess I have to download the Tomb Raider trailer again.

Can anyone tell me where the Vita looks for movie files on my PC? All my music shows up just fine, but not a single movie.

Well, it should be in your videos folder- it's possible whatever media you have there is not in a format the PS Vita recognizes. Ergo it says "lol nope, nothing there!"

Just had my first blast on Uncharted. I must admit to being pleasantly surprised, I knew it was going to look good but it has got me hooked already. I like that in a game. The Vita itself feels very comfortable to use and all the different ways of controlling things don't get in the way of each other. It's very responsive and though I was determined to hanker after the XMB, I have to admit the bubble menus seem easy to use and navigate. Though the inclusion of the 'start' button to get to every app seems a little redundant. A little like the way websites used to have click to enter buttons. One click too many.

So far so good. Hopefully it won't ignite like those dodgy laptops did a while back!!

Ha ha, it will hang once in a while though. Sony still has some work to do.

Press the power button for about 20 seconds to reboot Vita if necessary.

Speaking of videos, I just transferred a bunch of trailers (the usual suspects like Assassin's Creed-anything, Prey 2 and Deus Ex) from my PS3 to the Vita, and man, do they look gorgeous on the screen. Unfortunately it only works up to 720p, so I guess I have to download the Tomb Raider trailer again.

Can anyone tell me where the Vita looks for movie files on my PC? All my music shows up just fine, but not a single movie.
You can change the folders where the Vita looks for media on you PC.
It was somewhere in the Content Manager Assistent settings.

I just got 100 medals in Motorstorm RC. You get a bunch of SuperCar bonuschallenges, so now there are 196 medals in total. Still only have 15% of trophies, gah! At least I'm still on top of my friends list, haha. And about no 500 global, with at least more than 20.000 names registered in total, so that's a good start for Evolution

is that game anything like other motorstorm at all?

Thematically and structurally, and the handling of the cars to some extent too. But it is more Micro Machines than Motorstorm. Loving it though, 124 medals now.

Anyone know how I am supposed to get access to the movies I bought fromthe PSN store and put them on my Vita?

Back