Options: Xbox 360 Non-Slim Hard Drive

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
So how has the snafu over modded HDDs panned out? My 20GB has been full... for a while... and with Trials come soon I know I need a new HDD. There are those generic 250GB drives , used 120GB models, and then official 60GB drives. I know a lot of folks here have moved on up to bigger drives, so what are your experiences and recommendations?

I've got a 120GB in mine. Completely painless process to move the data over. Haven't had any problems with it, the system behaves exactly like it always did, except now there's plenty of room for game installs (because, being an early model, it has one of the "jet engine" DVD drives).

I can't speak to the unofficial drives, but I upgraded to a 250GB drive from my original 20GB using the transfer cable. A necessary upgrade given my appetite for RB3 DLC. The process was painless if a bit slow and it is nice to not have to worry about space anymore.

I upgraded my non-slim 360 with a 120GB HD. Pretty smooth and easy. I recommend going with an MS drive. Not worth messing with a modded one IMO.

I think I've got a transfer cable laying around if you need one.

I modded my hdd from a 60 gig to a 250 gig.
Files transfer was as simple as just copy paste my 60 gig content to my pc hdd then onto the 250 gig.

I'd go with used 120, but you likely cant go wrong in any case.

In order of safety, with the caveat they're all more than likely fine, it'd go generic 250, used 120, new 60 (least to most safe).

The 250 GB version is most likely the fastest (the 60 was definitely faster than the 20 and I think the 120 was faster than the 60), and there were old school 250 drives on clearance a while back.

I'd get myself a new 250 GB drive in your shoes (was tempted to even with my 120) and enjoy sweet loading times as I installed everything I could to it! There are no signs of MS clamping down on unofficial drives (which I think use cloned IDs) but why risk it?

Edit: the old school 250GB drives are back up to full price now, and about £20 more expensive than the new ones. Maybe you could get a new one, crack the slim caddy and put it in your old phat caddy?

Is it possible to use a 500GB drive?

You can only use sizes that MS uses, either official drives or hacked similar drives to mimic official drives.

250GB was the max, looks like 320GB might be the new max.

20GB, 60GB, 120GB and 250GB. Some new special edition models are coming with larger (320GB) drives.

Hmm, there have been special editions at 320GB for a while havent there?
I've never heard of them until as of late, if I recally correctly.

This might help, also, if he wanted to buy an Arcade slim and use a larger, non-slim HD for it.

My homemade 120GB and 250GB drives are still working perfectly fine judging by my experience and a good handful of local friends. The oldest has been in use for nearly three years now.

The tools required to create a homemade 320GB drive are not out yet. What's needed is the security sectors at a minimum. What would be nice to have is a PC program that can migrate your existing data over. Once this is released, I'll be giving it a go.

For someone who hasn't done it before or doesn't have the required spare-time to get things ironed out, picking up a cheap old drive like the one you linked to for $50 via Amazon is a great deal.

Also, if you ever migrate to a slim, you merely pickup a slim-caddy (off ebay for $8) and place the drive in it. I also did this for several local friends.

A further note on the slim drive cases, there are three types out there, one which requires you to glue the case together so it stays together and then the other two snaps shut (better model) and one that snaps shut and uses metal rivots to hold the spring mechanism in place (best model and the one I linked to).

on PC there a software to copy and paste from xbox 360 HDD. Just plug them to the SATA port.
its called explorer something....

been using that many times and no corruption
mainly to cut and paste demos from Xbox HDD to PC then burn to DVD. I only have 20GB HDD so its need regularly cut paste.

if on Xbox without official transfer cable, if i remember correct, the usual SATA to USB case/converter/cable usually used in PC and external 2.5" HDD also can be used on xbox.

I upgraded my non-slim 360 with a 120GB HD. Pretty smooth and easy. I recommend going with an MS drive. Not worth messing with a modded one IMO.

I think I've got a transfer cable laying around if you need one.

I was able to find a used Elite Drive for $45 -- will I need a cable or can I use a USB stick to transfer stuff?

Ps- I have had to talk to MS a couple times... after my 360 RRoD'd they did not update my software/hardware association. It still has never stuck. I am quite irritated by this as anytime I am offline most stuff doesn't work and all my FM3 and GW2 code based unlocks don't work. I guess a new HDD will give me another chance to complain :p

Back