DirectX 11.1

I will kill them if DX 11.1 and 12 will be Win 8 exclusive...

There are no signs of DirectX 12. So far Microsoft talks only about DX 11.1 for Win 8. Nothing mentioned about support for older Windows Version either. I will try to get some answers.

I know im going to be very wrong on this ;)
but arnt 16bit textures a thing of the past

IThis is for mobile GPUs in small devices like smart phones. While Windows 8 still supports DX9 (maybe not on ARM systems; need to check this) the preferred way is to use only DX 11.1 with different feature levels. Therefore the 16 bpp support was somewhat necessary.

Yeah, I don't think the DX9 API is available to us on ARM. It's just DX11 with feature levels.

arnt 16bit textures a thing of the past
Textures are not used anymore just to contain color data. We use 5551 textures in our virtual texture indirection lookup. It's perfect for storing two values in 0-31 range and one value in 0-15 range and a one bit loading flag... The more formats to choose, the better.

Not directly related to DX 11.1 but I don’t want to open an own thread for it. The DirectX SDK Tools are now integrated in Visual Studio 11. This includes the texture viewer, mesh viewer and PIX. Pix will now record for each API call the place in the code where it comes from and you can jump there with a single click.

Say goodbye to DX11, another version that didn't get all that much love beyond some token sponsored efforts. I wonder if that will transform the DX11 cards into DX9 cards due to software neglect like has happened with the DX10/10.1 products.

Say goodbye to DX11, another version that didn't get all that much love beyond some token sponsored efforts.
Just because there are some minor additions to the very same interface, D3D11 is not dead.

And you do realize that you can access D3D9 and D3D10 hardware with that API, don't you?

Isn't D3D11.1 just a software update that mandates features already present/implementable in the current DX11 hardware?

That's my impression, too. Logic blend modes have been in OpenGL, and the "UAV everywhere" just got into OpenGL 4.2, so the hardware definitely is there already. I don't see anything yet which wouldn't run on a GTX480 or so, except maybe the pre-emption stuff. There's some XPS rendering stuff as well now, but I guess its no coincidence NVIDIA wrote the path rendering extension for OpenGL. Anyone who has some details which features require new hardware?

That's my impression, too. Logic blend modes have been in OpenGL, and the "UAV everywhere" just got into OpenGL 4.2, so the hardware definitely is there already. I don't see anything yet which wouldn't run on a GTX480 or so, except maybe the pre-emption stuff. There's some XPS rendering stuff as well now, but I guess its no coincidence NVIDIA wrote the path rendering extension for OpenGL. Anyone who has some details which features require new hardware?

I am working on getting this list but it might be early next week before I can get my hand on it as most people who know the details are currently busy with the build conference. I was hinted that there is currently no hardware out that exposes feature level 11.1

Even if the hardware was capable, it will surely be a while before we get any drivers. Especially considering the drivers will have to implement the new DXGI/WDDM stuff.

Say goodbye to DX11, another version that didn't get all that much love beyond some token sponsored efforts.
Now the fun is just beginning. If we get a full monty of new Win 8 optimized netbooks, ultrabooks and tablets with DX11.1 compatible graphics around, the developers can finally start to fully use the DX11 features on PC games. Currently the amount of DX11 hardware is so low, that most developers are not willing to spend extra time to support it.

As said earlier, the DX11 API supports full backwards device compatibility also for DX9, DX10 and DX10.1 devices. Most developers are just targeting DX9 and DX10 devices currently with the API, but if we get DX11 capable hardware all the way down to tablets, I am sure we will see more DX11 capable games as well.

Now the fun is just beginning. If we get a full monty of new Win 8 optimized netbooks, ultrabooks and tablets with DX11.1 compatible graphics around, the developers can finally start to fully use the DX11 features on PC games. Currently the amount of DX11 hardware is so low, that most developers are not willing to spend extra time to support it.

As said earlier, the DX11 API supports full backwards device compatibility also for DX9, DX10 and DX10.1 devices. Most developers are just targeting DX9 and DX10 devices currently with the API, but if we get DX11 capable hardware all the way down to tablets, I am sure we will see more DX11 capable games as well.

Maybe nominal DX11 support, but I don't think we'll see many serious efforts until new consoles. I think the reason is that DX10.1 & 11 are great if you can depend on being able to build the whole rendering pipeline around compute, but otherwise it's just a few novelty features for a marketing tick-box. Btw I consider tesselation a novelty feature.

Back