post something that people usually don't know about your country

good job, the french dont like war
That's because the last French army that went to war all froze to death in Russia. After that, they just surrendered as soon as it looked like there might be some fighting involved...

They've been that way ever since. True story.

That's because the last French army that went to war all froze to death in Russia. After that, they just surrendered as soon as it looked like there might be some fighting involved...

They've been that way ever since. True story.

Indeed, the ongoing joke is:

How many people does it take to defend Paris?

No one knows, because they haven't tried it yet.

Sweden was the country that provided most help to Finland during the Winter War(don't even know if most americans nowadays know what the winter war was;))

Last edited by a moderator:
The two that shocked me are

America: Most of our debt is held within the country, not by China.

California: Texas has worse debt:GDP problems.

19 February Konudagur tradition (giving flower to your wife)
20 February bolludagurinn tradition (eating buns and sometime spanking people http://img.visir.is/apps/pbcsi.dll/...502060360&Ref=AR&MaxW=420&MaxH=420&NoBorder=1) http://is.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolludagur
21 February Sprengidagur tradition (eating salted meat and beens ) http://is.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprengidagur
22 February öskudagur tradition (nowadays a lot like Halloween except have to sing to get candy and its stores that give it a way ) http://is.wikipedia.org/wiki/Öskudagur

the holidays bolludagurinn Sprengidagur öskudagur
are always in the same week

all holldays this week
bolludagurinn is specially unique ;)

Crown Princess Viktoria and Prince Daniel are now preparing for the imminent arrival of their first child.

Royalists in Sweden are beside themselves with excitement. :LOL:

Better than over here, where the most important news seems to be that one of our princes went skiing irresponsibly in Austria and was seriously hurt in an avalanche.

Better than over here, where the most important news seems to be that one of our princes went skiing irresponsibly in Austria and was seriously hurt in an avalanche.

Yeah it sounded pretty foolish. I have done a bit of back country skiiing myself, but I always wore a transceiver. Also the avalanche danger was rated very high. I think he was pretty lucky to be found as quickly as he was. BTW have you heard of the black diamond camelback like device where you can breather buried under the snow. Fairly nifty :)

Poland was the second county in the entire world to have constitution written in the Age of Enlightenment (as in: "modern" constitution), so it was the very first one to be influenced by the United States Constitution.

I think its the same here in nz, you cant be served alcohol in a pub if youre intoxicated

heres some good laws from various states in the US, still valid today I think

* Boogers may not be flicked into the wind.
* It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.
* It is illegal to sell peanuts in Lee County after sundown on Wednesday.
* You cannot chain your alligator to a fire hydrant.
* You may not have an ice cream cone in your back pocket at any time.
* Donkeys cannot sleep in bathtubs.
* It is illegal for men and women over the age of 18 to have less than one missing tooth visible when smiling.
* Baldwin Park: Nobody is allowed to ride a bicycle in a swimming pool.
* Chico: Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine. <- that will stop the terrorists

etc, theres hundreds
IIRC some guys were gonna make a film by going from state to state breaking these 'laws'

There's a boatload of obscure, totally present day-irrelevant laws for almost every state. I would love to read a manifesto of laws that are lo longer in effect, for hilarity's sake. I read a few for Massachusetts, most of which pertained to modes of transportation no longer in effect. Like horses.

Back