Windows 8 Dev build

Unfortunately, privilege escalation attacks are very common. Also, windows itself goes to roughly -13% effort to explain the idea behind admin vs. user accounts. All the common man notices is that they have to go through a lot more hassle getting certain things done if they're not admin. So, path of least resistance and all that.

The way Windows is set up by default you only have to click "Yes" on a UAC prompt to grant admin privilege.
Convenient when you use someone's else PC and want to install something (like Firefox or Virtualbox) or check the updates and antivirus situation.

But that makes it dead easy to get admin rights. I wonder how UAC is set up so that rogue software can't click "Yes" by itself. Windows NT and up had ctrl-alt-del for log on and similar, relying on that fact that ctrl-alt-del is a hardware-level event.

Unfortunately, privilege escalation attacks are very common. Also, windows itself goes to roughly -13% effort to explain the idea behind admin vs. user accounts. All the common man notices is that they have to go through a lot more hassle getting certain things done if they're not admin. So, path of least resistance and all that.

true, but the same issue exists for all desktop operating systems.

I suppose the biggest improvement in security would be if each application runs in its own completely isolated sandbox, not allowing much interaction at all with the rest of the OS.

And then requiring a different procedure for installing drivers / system applications. Maybe this is only feasible if only signed drivers/apps can be installed. Linux distributions use signed packages already, for all software downloadable from their software repository. Maybe Microsoft's app store is the equivalent? (I've never visited it)

Just curious: Which 10 year old PC supports Windows 8.1?

I hope you realise the folly of blaming poor security on the OS when it's the user which installs malware with administrative privileges?

This one is an AM2 64 X2 with 4GB. It's still kicking. I normally kept PC for eight years before retiring it. I get a new one every year. I am running eight PCs on Linux. This is my only Windows. This one is kinda overdue to be replaced. I had replaced the PSU, hdd and optical drive recently. But all the cards, and everything still work.

I don't think you can install drivers without privileges. To be honest I wasn't too worried about malware and viruses at that point, I am typically good at dealing with them. I was just trying to get my devices to work. If I can't deal with them viruses, I got you guys to help me anyway :)

If the users like me accidentally install a malware, Windows should be able to uninstall it like all the other software or stop the installation and warn me that the thing I'm about to install, Windows won't able to uninstall it automatically, than I know to check my PC afterwards, if I decide to still go ahead with it.

Windows itself can't uninstall sht, unfortunately. It depends entirely on a script that tells it which files, folders and regkeys to remove. I don't think malware writers would be polite enough to supply one with their payloads... ;)

As for warning about malware - well that's the entire point of malware, to make sure alarmbells NOT go off when it infiltrates your system. Whatever mechanism your OS (theoretically) uses to try and detect these threats, the malware would do its best to subvert it. So you couldn't rely entirely on it anyway even if it is there. Windows does use some antimalware techniques, such as address space execution blocking, address space randomization and so on. Doesn't entirely work, unfortunately.

Windows itself can't uninstall sht, unfortunately. It depends entirely on a script that tells it which files, folders and regkeys to remove. I don't think malware writers would be polite enough to supply one with their payloads... ;)

Yeah I know, even uninstaller in some software still leaves some junk behind. I mean look at graphic drivers, you need to get a cleaner software to make sure nothing is left. Would be nice, if Windows can clean itself.

On another note, how do you open tabs in File Explorer ? I've been wanting to use tabs instead of multiple windows. I've been looking left and right for several days now, I give up, how do you open tabs in File Explorer?

I had to instal Windows 8 temporarily on my wife laptops and I've to say that it changed my mind wrt Windows 8.
It starts /goes out of sleep some much faster than windows7, that is really pleasant. It looks fresher.

Then I restored windows 7, that is when I realized that Windows 8 is actually a good OS;
It is slower, uglier and more importantly I missed a lot new shortcuts MSFT introduced. I also missed a couple of apps.

I think that guy that gave a interview not that long ago was right, familiarity trumps how good or bad a design is. Now I'm used to windows 8 I would not consider going back.

I suppose you have to find your marks, give it your own touches like deciding what desktop icons you want, cleaning up the metro screen, playing on whatever strengthes the UI has.. Such a things are needed for every new desktop UI.
On XP it would have been cleaning up/sorting by name in the start menu, enabling the status bar in the file manager, getting a wallpaper, or whatever you think you need.

Biggest problem with Windows 8 might be the learning curve, i.e. wtf is this stuff for?, what other hidden things are there, etc. Not even every one has experience with smartphones/tablets except perhaps for the most basic stuff (contacts, browser)
Where's the menu bar, where's the notepad, where's freecell etc.

I do not believe Microsoft has published any mention of Windows CE / RT / whatever else supporting ARMv8. Who is to say which Windows OS will get it first...

I know that Apple IOS has published support for ARMv8 though, so I believe that makes them the first.

When "Windows 8.1 Update" is updated with the Start Menu Update, I will update Windows 7. Too bad Microsoft haven't told us when it's coming, only that it will come at "a later date".

The new start menu actually makes metro live tiles look attractive even to a start screen violent hater like me. Why couldn't they have done this from the beginning I wonder?

I just hope I can disable those fucking charms that keep folding out of the side of my monitor whenever my mouse cursor touch that edge, as well as the completely useless desktop dragging feature. All that does to me is fuck up the window placements of every open program on the desktop.

The new start menu actually makes metro live tiles look attractive even to a start screen violent hater like me. Why couldn't they have done this from the beginning I wonder?

Because of wrong expectations about people's acceptance level of the new changes.

They needed to significantly improve to soften the pressure.

Why should everything in this world be fixed by going sassy? If you are insolent, the chances for success and getting what you want and need are higher.

Why flatness and windows without borders?

I had a nightmare with Windows 8. It had some animations which could pretend to be nice but otherwise I was trying to reach a destination or find something in the menus, but it took me infinitely large amount of clicks. WTH?

It's like the old joke :
- Hello, I'm using Windows 95. I'm having a big problem..
- I know, you already told me you have a problem.

So true!

You made my day with that! Brings good old memories, like when I've moved from lovely Amiga to PC at home and even though I already knew a lot about DOS and Windows 3.11/95 I still had to reinstall W95 OSR2 almost every second day for the first two weeks before I got it to usable state!

W95OSR2 was actually decently useable. Win millennium on the other hand wouldn't last six months without disintegrating to a state where you literally couldn't run a single thing without the OS running out of limited resources. It was incredible (in a badness sense of the word.)

W95OSR2 was actually decently useable. Win millennium on the other hand wouldn't last six months without disintegrating to a state where you literally couldn't run a single thing without the OS running out of limited resources. It was incredible (in a badness sense of the word.)

This is so true! My reasons for reinstalls were instability of OC, file system corruptions from turning off PC, playing with unstable drivers for graphics cards so Lightwave would run decently and so on.

I stuck to W95OSR2 till Win98SE, skipped W98 the first and had Millenium for less than two days on my PC!

Back