Windows 8 Dev build

Oh is that the final name WinRT UI, Metro was such a cooler name.

Well, I still think we should be able to Windows the WinRT UI, and open multiple instances of it. So you can run as many WinRT apps as you need on desktop. Having WinRT apps and then Win 8 apps on the same freaking PC is simply WTF ? I mean two different IE ?

Officially it is Windows 8-style UI apparently, but I don't like that name much, and on the Desktop it's confusing for making a distinction ...

Actually it's called "Modern UI"

No apps for Windows 8 users says Google

There's no getting around: Windows 8 is having a really hard time finding love in the tech world. Adding insult to injury, now Google has given Microsoft's latest OS the thumbs down, and is in no hurry to develop apps like Gmail for Windows 8.

Microsoft is doing whatever it can to bring developers into the world of its Windows 8 platform but it would seem that one of the biggest tech companies in the world, and a major competitor, is giving the new operating system a big thumbs down.

Google let it be known today that they have no intention of developing any apps for the Windows 8 platform claiming that there isn't enough interest in the platform from consumer to warrant them devoting any developer time to bring things like a Gmail app to windows 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, what will I run on my Surface Pro? :LOL: although it would be still great for Minesweeper.

I like my webmail configured in Web 1.0 fine, though. Mail clients are a thing from the 90s I've never used also the S Pro has a stylus :D.
The issue is I will probably never own one, as it's a 1000 euro computer. Who needs a 1000 euros computer these days.

Who needs a 1000 euros computer these days

Me, at every time. With such a desktop machine and its power I will put to shame every single tablet for 5 years to come... :LOL:

Ok, more seriously now tho. :(

Ehm, who needs a gmail app when you have Outlook

or a web browser

I think you guys read the article in the wrong way. The initiative purpose is to humiliate MS mistake, not to show what can be run with what, etc... :D

I think you guys read the article in the wrong way. The initiative purpose is to humiliate MS mistake, not to show what can be run with what, etc... :D

I have a very hard time taking comments from Google, the guys who build Android, seriously.

Does that mean no Google maps and especially no Google Earth? That sucks, because Google Earth might be fun on a tablet - I think it's guaranteed to run on anything that can run Windows 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty obvious that is AND your purpose.

There you go, fixed it for you. :)

Google let it be known today that they have no intention of developing any apps for the Windows 8 platform claiming that there isn't enough interest in the platform from consumer to warrant them devoting any developer time to bring things like a Gmail app to windows 8.

Windows 8 is having a really hard time finding love in the tech world. Adding insult to injury

I am not the one who wrote those lines, and I don't even think "there isn't enough interest" because obviously it is not true. But rather my aforementioned explanation fits better to why anyone would write it.

Why don't you give it a rest already?

There is no need to jump on top of my head and blame me for my opinion. I don't work for MS or Google, or for anyone but myself. ;)

Any more apps. They have already built some apps for Win8. But they don't plan on making anymore unless things change.

They have no reason to make apps for Win8. It's a direct competitor to Android. The would love to not make apps for the iPhone to push Android, but unfortunately they still make more money on iPhone than do they off Android.

So, unless Android fails, Google won't make new apps for Win8 as that would just be helping their competition. So, is anyone surprised? Not really.

Windows 8 is having a really hard time finding love in the tech world. Adding insult to injury

Depends. Some say it is, some say it isn't. Considering that some of the better Win8 slates are selling out in a matter of hours/days (Asus VivoTab TF810c, for instance) at the major resellers unless they are above MSRP. Newegg sold out of their allotment at 799 USD in a few hours. Amazon sold out of their allotment at 799 USD in a few hours. Etc. Only ones on Amazon are from 3rd party vendors for over 800 USD. Ebay has them over 800 USD.

Acer's slate can still be found, but I think that mostly has to do with the fact that while the slate is decent, the keyboard dock is an unreliable POS. Although if you get lucky and get a decent dock, the value is incredible. I know someone that recently got almost 18 hours out of theirs (including the keyboard dock which has it's own battery). He got about 9-9.5 hours on just the slate alone with constant use including watching HD video. Unfortunately, he didn't have good luck with his dock. Its touchpad and buttons are absolutely crap.

Not bad for a device that runs x86 applications and is lighter than an iPad. I'm pretty amazed at just how energy efficient Clovertrail is. And Acer actually managed to make a Core i5 based slate last 7.5+ hours in a HD video battery drain test. And it still came in at ~2 pounds. Now if only it had a good keyboard dock instead that weird and wonky dock that it has.

Basically touch devices are selling like hotcakes. Non-touch devices not so much because the general consumer wants a touch device. And since all OEMs have underestimated demand, all OEMs are having a tough time getting enough supply of touch screens in order to build the devices that consumers want.

Regards,
SB

I don't miss the start button at all, I'm finding. But then I'm still young (38), and accept change easily. :D

three years ago I was still running XP in classic UI, with the .reg file to remove the yellow dog among other things :)

With politics, we want change and don't get it (despite the empty single word Obama slogan), with UI we don't want change and we get it.
But, we can run whatever software we want (even XP if you can manage it, I draw the line at running a fully patched OS). If I get to change the default UI or use another whole UI of my choice it's change I can accept too :p

I changed Mate's bottom panel layout some days ago for instance, and got a decent dual-row task list of it. I also decided the bottom left only had a desktop switcher and nothing else.

I thought it was limited to a fixed date, something like today.

Back