Sony's content platform and business strategy *spawn

What has that got to do with Sony's consumer strategy? It's their professional cloud service. The press report says, "for creative professionals". And "Sony Media Cloud Services is headquartered on the Sony Pictures Studio lot in Culver City, Calif." Sounds completely independent from SEN, as it should be as the requirements for consumer services and professional creative services are very different, not least in terms of scale of users and content.

I'd be wary of any apps. Sony preinstalls for viewing and managing media, usability-wise.

Why would people who already have their media collections on iTunes or other well-known applications on their computers replicate them on consoles

I played around with DLNA servers and apps. on the PS3 and fine, it could copy and display some of my photos but for what purpose?

I can stream them to my AppleTV for slide shows and movies and they will work with mobile (well iOS) mobile devices.

Both MS and Sony are too late to this space, the ship has sailed. Sure make good clients for Netflix and other sharing services but anybody serious about their media already have a setup on their PCs, Macs and mobile devices.

What has that got to do with Sony's consumer strategy? It's their professional cloud service. The press report says, "for creative professionals". And "Sony Media Cloud Services is headquartered on the Sony Pictures Studio lot in Culver City, Calif." Sounds completely independent from SEN, as it should be as the requirements for consumer services and professional creative services are very different, not least in terms of scale of users and content.

Yes, they are separate businesses. SEN is simply an amalgamation of many internal and external services. At best, all the Sony services (Music Unlimited, PSN, PlayMemories, Gaikai, ...) may share the same infrastructure (e.g., security) and even data centers.

This professional media cloud service is indeed different in nature to a typical SEN service. It may share the same infrastructure (for economy of scale), or it may not. I don't have high hopes for this professional service at this point.

However, I do think that in next gen (or next next gen), we will see more cross-over between professional and consumer services. e.g., collaborative indie game development, prosumers (user mods and user generated content services), movies with third party interactivity over Internet, etc. Think Big Big Planet, instead of Little Big Planet. The new consoles have enough memory to try new and big things.

EDIT:
FWIW, I also think it is possible to marry movies and games sometimes (Projects can be initiated from Sony Pictures or SCE).

Fantastic. Japan needs that yen to drop a bit more for Sony's sake. Will help them get back into black more easily. Hopefully their new medical devices venture with Olympus and their phones can make big strides. Their phone seems to be very popular already.

That’s just their estimates. Anything can happen between now and end of the quarter. ^_^

For their new medical division, I expect they will need a few years to establish something. It will be more interesting in our context if they include consumer healthcare/medical stuff in PS4. Otherwise, not so relevant to us other than tech sharing.

I don't want Sony to make a lot of money selling medical equipment to Americans who are already being fleeced for health care.

I still can't tell if Dust is supposed to have more than 32 player matches?

That's all I can find when I play. But then I also read the game hasn't really launched yet either. Just beta.

So I guess by then it's supposed to be more like PlanetSide.

I still can't tell if Dust is supposed to have more than 32 player matches?

That's all I can find when I play. But then I also read the game hasn't really launched yet either. Just beta.

So I guess by then it's supposed to be more like PlanetSide.

It'll have larger matches soon, but it's probably going to max out in the 128 range. It's not going to have PlanetSide or EVE scale battles, unless it's a far future thing after they stop supporting the PS3 and they can abuse the PS4.

The May 6 patch is supposed to be a big deal with the new graphics and UI, and then there's supposed to be another major update May 14 with the official launch.

DUST514 fanfest livesteam:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...tarting-today/

Not sure what mechanism they are using. We usually get livestream in PS Home but this seems to be a standalone thing from XMB. HTTP Live Streaming in the HTML5 stack ?

I haven't participated in any of their beta. Wondering how it's coming along with its ambitious goals.
I've seen Sony do that a few times with stuff like E3 live streams, and the PS Meeting live stream iirc. It's just a link to a web page with a flash video stream.

I have only tried the Home live stream version. Is the web Flash video as good as the YouTube video app ? I doubt it. Why not use the HTML5 HD video there ?

So DUST514 is launching on May 14 ? Or are they asking us to help test the Release Candidate ?

It'll have larger matches soon, but it's probably going to max out in the 128 range. It's not going to have PlanetSide or EVE scale battles, unless it's a far future thing after they stop supporting the PS3 and they can abuse the PS4.
Why? PS3 managed 256 player battles with MAG. Does dust have more going on to render or something?

Why? PS3 managed 256 player battles with MAG. Does dust have more going on to render or something?

Probably need to reserve resources to manage persistent MMO states to/from EVE.

For graphics, I remember reading about Geomerics integration with DUST514.

Back