Software
01. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360, PS3, PC)** Square Enix Inc - 244K
02. NCAA Football 12 (360, PS3) Electronic Arts - 240K
03. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)** Activision Blizzard
04. Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd (NDS, Wii, PS3) Disney Interactive Studios
05. Cars 2 (NDS, Wii, 360, PS3, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
06. Just Dance Summer Party (Wii) Ubisoft
07. Just Dance 2 (Wii) Ubisoft
08. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
09. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) Nintendo
10. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, 360, PS3) Majesco

Hardware
Xbox 360: 308K (-13.7%)
Nintendo 3DS: 235K
PlayStation 3: 218K (-3.5%) [Comes from press release statement math and known numbers.]
Wii: 190K (-22.2%)
Nintendo DS: 165K (-51.9%)

gamasutra
and one more

I'm going to stick with my "should have been $100 price cut" statement for the PS3. For the 3DS I'm not sure what I was expecting but I definitely expected more than 360. 360 is just...I guess the most desired gaming device in the US it will be very interesting to see if the Wii has its "typical" Holiday Revival.

EDIT: Forgot to say that Cars 2 is actually a pretty decent game.

Last edited by a moderator:
gamasutra
and one more

I'm going to stick with my "should have been $100 price cut" statement for the PS3. For the 3DS I'm not sure what I was expecting but I definitely expected more than 360. 360 is just...I guess the most desired gaming device in the US it will be very interesting to see if the Wii has its "typical" Holiday Revival.

MS really are growing Xbox into a powerful brand. A $100 drop could put Stringer/Hirai precariously close to a fourth straight annual loss. 3DS is underwhelming.

So apparently the PC Xbox 360 student promo isn't a significant impact in sales. Or perhaps it only didn't work in August when PC sales are much higher than June and July...

Glad we can finally put that bit of bs to rest.

So apparently the PC Xbox 360 student promo isn't a significant impact in sales. Or perhaps it only didn't work in August when PC sales are much higher than June and July...

Glad we can finally put that bit of bs to rest.
Aye?, Its still going on until sep24th

(quoted from MS store)
Get your promo code good for an Xbox 360 4GB when you purchase a qualifying Windows 7 PC priced $699 or more from the Microsoft Store.*

*Limited time offer valid only on eligible products thru 11:59 PM PT on 9/24/2011 or while supplies last. Requires purchase of a qualifying Windows 7 PC priced $699 or higher from Microsoft Store. Offer not available for PCs purchased from other retailers. Xbox 360 with qualifying purchase is an Xbox 360 4GB. Only available to higher education students with a valid and verifiable .edu email address. Customer will be sent a promo code to the .edu address provided, which may then be used to redeem offer. Not valid on previous orders. Offer cannot be transferred, redeemed for cash or combined with any other offer or promotion. In-store and online offer terms may vary. U.S. residents only. Limit 1 per person.

Numbers are pretty much what I thought they would be (judging from amazon)
the top10 of games seems pretty crappy

When was the PS3 price drop? Was it even in August?

If it was near the end of the August NPD, then it could be that potential buyers were waiting for the price drop. If it was before August or in the beginning of August, then it seems to have had a moderate/low success.

I'm quite surprised that the PS3 is not closer or even surpassing X360 sales as I believe Patcher predicted. If it doesn't raise itself closer to parity with X360 sales, then I see little reason for MS to cut the price on the X360.

Aye?, Its still going on until sep24th

I know it's still going on.

like I said in the previous NPD threads (june mostly I believe), if it was going to have a significant impact in may june or july, it should have been massive in August which moves many more PCs (especially to students). So either they weren't counting those 360 sales, or they were contributing in a very small way.

When was the PS3 price drop? Was it even in August?

August 16th. So 12 days (of 28) on NPD.

August 16th. So 12 days (of 28) on NPD.

Thanks for that.
I'd put this under the category of too early to tell then imo.

September should be a very telling month for how effective the PS3 price drop is. Of course, MS still has their own "price-drop" card to play if needed.

Updated the OP with a couple numbers. 244K for DE is not looking so nice... I wonder if digital distribution fared significantly better.

Well, it did only have a week in the month of August.

I'd be curious to see the digital numbers as well. I bought it off Steam, it wouldn't surprise me if most PC gamers bought it digitally as well.

Well, it did only have a week in the month of August.

Fair enough, but I think we've seen a number of games in the past where one week is all the console editions need to rack up sales numbers. I suppose we may have to wait for some stupendous PR release to figure out where it stands until next month's results are in.

Fair enough, but I think we've seen a number of games in the past where one week is all the console editions need to rack up sales numbers.
Very true.

I wonder what the balance is on this one, between PC and the consoles? DX has always been more of a PC thing.

It just seems like it's doing really well, from the talk.. every board I visit has a DXHR thread, lots of people playing through it. Based on that, I would have thought the numbers would be higher as well.

Fair enough, but I think we've seen a number of games in the past where one week is all the console editions need to rack up sales numbers. I suppose we may have to wait for some stupendous PR release to figure out where it stands until next month's results are in.
Square Enix wouldn't be expanding the studio if Deus Ex didn't meet their sales expectations. The game is probably selling in line with their sales expectations or mayube even exceeded them, remember that the US is only one part of the story, Europe being another one and the game probably sold well on the PC digitally.

Back