Déjà vu: PC Borderlands 2 won't suck

Richard

Mord's imaginary friend
Veteran
Gearbox says the PC version of borderlands 2 won't suck:

Gearbox said:
We had some digs on the usability on the PC side because it was designed on the console. We're making sure [on Borderlands 2] that it works great for the mouse and keyboard style.

Now wait a minute! Here's what Gearbox said two years ago re Borderlands 1:

[...] the game's UI will be designed with the mouse in mind, for PC players. The inventory system should be a little bit easier to navigate with a mouse, instead of console controls.

We all know how that turned out. :rolleyes: Also, two years ago they were saying the UI was designed for PC, now they admit it was designed for consoles. At least lie convincingly.

Not to mention the delayed DLC releases, etc. etc.

Devs lying again like they do
for example warren specter has been interviewed many times since since the release of deus ex 2
ans absolutely no one has asked "Just before dx2 was released you said it was not consoled - Why did you lie ?"
were are the game journalists who ask the tough questions ? If there are none a publication should hire me
I wouldnt be afraid to ask
My first question when interviewing Cliffy -B : "So cliffy please tell us why are you such a twat ?"

I found the worst aspect to be the fov and there really is no clean fix for it.

Well another annoyance was AMD having a driver memory leak last year which would eventually cause the game to just stop rendering as if it was paused. But that was AMD. ;)

The FOV's fine to me. I'm more pissed off at how goddamned dumb the UI's controls are.

I mean, really. PAGE UP AND DOWN WHO IN THE HELL THINKS THAT IS A GOOD IDEA

Edit: To be fair about the FOV, I play on an ancient CRT. So, it might be terrible on a widescreen LCD.

It's a shame that they can't be trusted this time around, but B1 is so much fun regardless of the issues that I'll be getting B2 day one.

Reminds me of Battlefield 2. That game was plagued with problems but the core experience was just too good to let them really spoil it.

There's talk of a new patch for Borderlands that integrates Steamworks, to get rid of the awful Gamespy shambles and as a bit of a trial before B2 is out. Hopefully they can have a crack at the UI and FOV issues again too.

Reminds me of Battlefield 2. That game was plagued with problems but the core experience was just too good to let them really spoil it.
My sentiments exactly. I just hope BF3 and B2 have that same awesome core experience as their predecessors.

I think, they are steering the company from almost certain success with the way they have been doing things to almost certain failure in trying to compete with WoW. They must be honest with themselves, because if this is Just Another MMO then the Elder Scrolls license won't float it for long and it is destined to fail like all others have. Hell Star Wars couldn't even save TOR.

EDIT: MOD EDIT: Posts copied to new TES Online thread. Use this one to discuss B2 (or Gearbox interviews). Let's use the new thread to discuss the TES Online (and their interviews).

Borderlands 2 off to certification:

This means that the game’s on-disc content has been locked down and will be thoroughly tested to ensure it is ready for release -– in other words, the game is finished and we cannot make any further changes to the game. As such, the team is now shifting their focus towards post-launch efforts, including the Mechromancer: the new character class that will be released as FREE downloadable content to members of the Borderlands 2 Premiere Club roughly 60 to 90 days after launch.

Somehow this is not exciting me as much as the first Borderlands. The visuals feel overcrowded and unclear this time around. Somehow the magic isn't working on me even I want to be excited about it. The latest sanctuary gameplay video, and the one released before it, both were so boring to watch ! I dunno.....the visuals seem to have gone haywire. They seem to be uncertain as to what 'look' they want to achieve:comic book or concept art.

I wish the final game doesn't disappoint.

Somehow this is not exciting me as much as the first Borderlands. The visuals feel overcrowded and unclear this time around. Somehow the magic isn't working on me even I want to be excited about it. The latest sanctuary gameplay video, and the one released before it, both were so boring to watch ! I dunno.....the visuals seem to have gone haywire. They seem to be uncertain as to what 'look' they want to achieve:comic book or concept art.

I wish the final game doesn't disappoint.

If you watch one of the interview videos above, Randy Pitchford says in the last game they started with very cartoony graphics, and kept tweaking them and things turned out more realistic than they wanted. This time around, they've stuck more to the original cartoony look.

Personally, I think I prefer the BL1 look, as it was just a touch cartoony, but until we see the full BL2 game, I think its difficult to judge. It seems from looking at the gameplay videos, they are all in busy/crowded areas. There's also a lot of enemies because these videos always seem to be co-op and at night. I'd like to see more of the wide open areas, in the daylight.

Back