[retro] Unknown Intel card - help wanted

CarstenS

Legend
Supporter
Hopefully, this is in the right section of the forums...

I got an older intel card from ebay the other day. It looked interesting but i cannot really find out what type of card it ist and what chips are on there.

Here's a picture:
attachment.php

Next to the Philips chip which looks like a TV encoder thingie, there are three Intel made ASICs:

- i750
- "borg" (hah!) labelled chip
- "cga" labelled chip.

Does anyone around here know more about this type of card or about the chips used? The wikipedia entry about i750 is somewhat... disappointing. Short and very few details.

There's an FCC ID code down near the ISA bus connector. You should be able to hammer that into the FCC website and get some kind of response out of it - hopefully, if it doesn't expire older products that is...

This is all they've got:
Well, unless you want to track down the listed contact person and ask him.
Code:
FCC IDENTIFIER:  	EJMPCVD11XX
Name of Grantee:  	Intel Corporation

Equipment Class: Part 15 Class B Computing Device Peripheral
Notes: 	         Video Recorder Card
Modular Type: 	 Does not apply

Yep thanks - I've tried FCC also, but the information is a bit scarce. So an Intel Smart Video Recorder it is then. But further information, especially about the chips used it is basically non-existant, right?

As I remember the original 'i' series were RISC based non-intel architecture. Normally used in embedded systems or fast DSP based systems.

They appeared in a number of boxes and devices through the late 80's early 90's. I presume the i750 would be in that family.

The Philips chip, I think, is a DAC whilst the other two intel chips are a rasteriser and frame buffer handler.

so, probably an Indeo encoder DSP.

I remember reading an old computer magazine and there was.. a JPEG decompression card!

graphics card benches in characters per second, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
graphics card benches in characters per second, too.
DOS was exciting like that.

more i750 infos. There are some pay-for articles on it but that's about all I can find.
integrates full-screen full-motion digital video, high-quality audio, high-speed graphics, text, and still images in digital multimedia applications by combining the speed of hardware and the versatility of software. The i750 video processor consists of two components: the 82750PB pixel processor and the 82750DB display processor. The devices are compatible with existing DVI motion video algorithms and emerging international standards such as still image compression developed by the Joint Photographic Experts Group
Apparently there is a Creative Video Blaster that is similar to your card.

Thanks a bunch guys! That'll at least give me enough clues to look further and dig deeper.

btw, swayee, nice to see my Bonnie&Clyde in your thread over at vogons :)

Does anyone around here know more about this type of card or about the chips used? The wikipedia entry about i750 is somewhat... disappointing. Short and very few details.

I've been trying to add more information to the Wikipedia article on i750 chips, so far I found that there was also a Creative Labs Videoblaster RT300 card (Model: CT6061, FCCID: IBACT-VBRT300E) that also used the i750 chips. Sometimes you see one of these listed on ebay or somewhere similar. I also dug up some old magazine articles from Google Books that mention the i750 chip. I am still trying to find proof that the card you have (FCCID: EJMPCVD11XX) was sold as Intel Smart Video recorder. Please leave a note on the i750 talk page if you or anyone else finds additional information.

If anyone still has an i750 device, a picture that you take would be acceptable for Wikimedia Commons. That would let us have an image for the article!

Back