GamesCom 2011 - what (and whom) should I see?

I also played Mass Effect 3 on Xbox 360 and saw it running on PC: graphics on Xbox where a bit of a downer, especially in comparison to the PC version due to the massive amount of saw tooth edges...image quality wasn't so good...lots of aliasing, even with the post processing going on. Otherwise, the single player demo I played revealed that the game is rather the same as Mass Effect 2...which, is really ok because ME2 is one of my most favorite games ever!! Graphics and gameplay seemed the same as in ME2...on PC image quality was much better, but still...the graphics looked a little bit outdated in comparison to other actual titles...action was good, of course we have to wait for the story to see how everything ends!

One of the problems I experienced...it seems to me that Xbox titles who typically used a Samsung LCD TV had some issues with the TV calibration, whereas at Sony booth with all the Sony TVs contrast and gamma was much better calibrated?!?!

I also had the chance to test out RAGE on Xbox and saw a buddy of mine play the game on a PC. You played about 15min of the beginning of the game. First of all, I was a little bit dissapointed by the graphics! Which is kind of dissapointing it self, because last year at gamescom seeing a hands on demonstration of the Xbox360 game...I was blown away by the graphics!! I am not sure if the reason is the badly calibrated Samsung TVs...but again, the aliasing was noticable! The style of the graphics is cool, the gameplay and shooting felt really good, the animation of the enemies and the hit detection with different reactions was very satisfying. Part of the game I played was overall really cool, intersesting characters and weird stuff:D Textures seem to be super low res when up close...not sure, what the real benefit of Megatexture is...really not sure. Otherwise the image was crisp and sharp, lightning seems to be solid as well...overall, the game lost its graphcis crown for me, but still a very good title which I will def buy (but on PC, where the aliasing issues are...not an issue anymore :D, but even there...textures up close are rather low res)...a game with a special atmosphere imo!

Before getting hands on time for Mass Effect 3, EA forced us to watch a gameplay trailer of PREY 2 played on the Xbox360! And I have to say, that this is kind of the big surprise on this years gamescom!! I played the first part on Xbox...and guess what...the second part is completely different! And open world first person shooter set in a Mass Effect meets Blade runner world...where you are a bounty hunter...how cool is this :D
What surprised me: graphics where really really good! Great image quality, only very few aliasing, good textures, good effects, everything stable and very dense...great atmosphere, great gameplay, great setting...overall: at least great, probably better (game has not only FPS shooting, it has cool gadgets and it has kind of Brink parcour elements and chasing sequences and jumping and climbing...all in a Blade runner-esque real and living world...super interesting mix imo!) :cool:

Overall...absolute game of the show: Battlefield 3...best game ever!! I really cannot wait for this game (luckily, I already pre-order the limited edition!!)...there is really no challenger out there imo!

Surprise: PREY 2 shown on Xbox

What I missed: Gears of War 3 (a game I tested the beta and I will def buy...so no big drama)...and Skyrim, only a movie was shown...with still a 2+hours queue...

Other interesting stuff I did not have time: Bioshock infinite and this Lord of the Rings game (War in the north or something like this)...this year, there where just too much other people at gamescom :mrgreen:

I also had the chance to test the PC Multiplayer version of the game (it only took 4.5hours to wait in the mega monster BF3 queue...if some of you guys call me crazy...I swear that I call you crazy as well! :mrgreen:) And as I was shocked by BF3 PS3...I collapsed because of BF 3 PC 64 mutliplayer conquest...easily the best game ever created by man...also by far the longest gamer queue...some guys waited more than 6hours to play this...burtal amount of interest for this game at gamescom!! What can I say: best graphics, best sound, super cool animations, best gameplay, best multiplayer, largest map ever...all combined with destruction+smart score system (even better than BF2 BC2!!)+jets :D

Do you know if PC BF3 had full 360 gamepad support?

- I played Starhawk: graphics looks ok, I noticed a rather clean image quality, probably also due to some postprocessing going on...the rest was nothing to write about...it ran stable in my experience...but nothing special! Gameplay seemd to be fun, the third person shooter part is as you can expect and was rather solid, I also used the construction stuff (simple to use!) and used a starhawk to fly around and did some ground battle. Overall a very solid game it seems to me. But, it did not convinved me 100%...I'm not sure if it is worth buying for me...probably depends on the single player part...which I could not test!

Ooooww... I am looking forward to this one. How many players were in the game ?

-Mega surprise: there was BF 3 Coop playable...imagen this: at the EA booth, you had to queue up for more than 3 hours to play PS3 coop!!! and in the Sony booth, there where 4 consoles available!! I nearly collabsed when I found this out :D (maybe also due to the reason that it was super hot in the back end of the Sony booth!) Overall the impressions are super great!! BF3 is a beast. First I was shocked about how good this game looks for a PS3 game!! Super clean and crisp image...very impressive. Only a very small amount of jaggies...if at all!! Lightning was good. Effects where great. Textures were ok (not as good as KZ3 textures imo, but still good!) Co-op action was super fun and seems to have lots of potential!! Gameplay and control was standard BF, thus it was really good. Overall I was not only impressived but shocked by the presentation of BF3 on PS3...

Yay ! Finally a worthy 3rd party game. Already decided to play with the Gaffers in the chatroom. Thanks for the impressions.

Do you know if people will be able to play Skyrim or are Bethesda going to show that video Billy Idol mentioned? I can't wait for this one.

Billy, thanks for your impressions on Rage. I am a fan of all Carmack.

Apparently Wipeout on the PSP Vita runs very smooth and looks great. It's a game that I usually found stunning, and it's the closest thing to F-Zero you can play on non Nintendo consoles. Too bad this kind of games are so scarce. I am loving Vita despite the too-busy interface -afaik, judging from some photos I saw-.

Thanks for sharing your impressions on Forza 4, Arwin. I am quite hyped about this game. The handling seems fine as usual -it would be interesting what assists were on when playing but Forza 3 realism seemed okay to me-, and things like the bumps on the road are more noticeable than they were in Forza 3. They added features like improving your attachment to a particular car or cars, which is something I wanted a long time ago.

Now that you mentioned Trials sequel -I am interested in this game to play with a friend and have some goodnaturedly competition-.... The same happened to me when playing the first iteration of Trials, a fun and up to par game, but in my opinion it had a very steep difficulty curve. It got to a point where I couldn't advance anymore, but some tracks were really amazing.

Concerning other games you mentioned in your posts, like Rez HD and some others, oddly enough I concur almost 100% with your opinions to the point that if it was like that for everything, one of us would be redundant.

Thanks for sharing guys.

p.s. if you get desperate waiting in a line, you can get in my cuddle puddle line, beeotches. :smile:

Good to hear positive BF3 PS3/console impressions. Obviously both demos I've seen on video I've not been impressed with, but sounds like there's still hope.

Talk of all these 2 hour lines and stuff makes me wish they would open E3 to the public or something. Not that anybody wants to stand in lines, but at least you can get a real feel for what the populace finds attractive. USA needs a public E3-like show (yeah I know of Pax and the like, doesnt seem on the level of E3 or even gamescom for new games)

Prey 2 really seems to be a game gaining underground buzz as a sleeper hit. We'll see if that translates to sales. Of interest of course I recall it being mentioned with Brink by Carmack as a game that's still on heavily modified Id Tech 4.

Do you know if PC BF3 had full 360 gamepad support?

No sorry, did not asked those EA guys...I was to flashed after playing the game :D
I know that at the RAGE PC try outs, not only keyboard and mouse was available, but also a Xbox360 pad was connected to the PC...

Ooooww... I am looking forward to this one. How many players were in the game ?

hm, I don't know how the max number of players is in this game...the one I played, I would guess that about a total of 10 played (which about matches the number of available consoles in this part of the Sony booth...)

Did you get to try Vita's back trackpad?

My friend did, in Wipeout when he played in tilt mode. I did feel and check it out though - it is hardly different from the front, though you do feel the pattern that you see on the screenshots, it's not just a printed pattern, but an embossed pattern. Helps with grip, I guess. Impressions were too short for saying anything useful about that.

Why oh why does Wildstar have to be yet another bloody MMO? Such a phenomenal trailer. Is there really nothing besides MMOs and fps games that's still worth developing for PC?

It's really frustrating to see MMOs suck up so much development effort in the industry. Wildstar has a super cool look, but I have zero interest in playing that style of game.

Why oh why does Wildstar have to be yet another bloody MMO? Such a phenomenal trailer. Is there really nothing besides MMOs and fps games that's still worth developing for PC?

Yeah, agree completely. But if it absolutly has to be a MMO, at least make it MMO "Light", something similar to GuildWars (buy the game, free to play. And you can play much of the game with bots, so like a single player game in many ways)

it's unfortunately not the character driven action/adventure game like this trailer here suggests

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-11-wildstar/719209

Even thou it's just a CG trailler I do love the art style.

Love the art style, love the expressive animations, and I especially love that the trailer is telling a story instead of merely presenting a bunch of cleverly edited, yet unrelated bits of awesome. I was really pumped ... well, until I saw the NCSOFT logo that is.
Let's hope they don't get sued by Disney. The whole thing looks an awful lot like Tangled.

Back