NDA expired? first R9800XT-Review

mboeller

Regular
http://www.hardware.info/reviews.php?id=430

from Holland, using the old Cats 3.7

found @ 3DCenter.de

000430-01.jpg

slapped by ATI for breaking NDA early or killed by to many hits...start your betting or conspiracy theorys now :LOL:

Stu

From their news headlines:

Helaas was door een wederom onbekende oorzaak geen communicatie mogelijk met de server. Inmiddels zijn we naar Amsterdam afgereisd en hebben we de machine na een kort onderzoek herstart. Het lijkt allemaal weer te werken..

Uiteraard blijven we de servers in de gaten houden

I will take a stab at that.. something about the server being overworked...?

LW.

lwells said:
From their news headlines:

Helaas was door een wederom onbekende oorzaak geen communicatie mogelijk met de server. Inmiddels zijn we naar Amsterdam afgereisd en hebben we de machine na een kort onderzoek herstart. Het lijkt allemaal weer te werken..

Uiteraard blijven we de servers in de gaten houden

I will take a stab at that.. something about the server being overworked...?

LW.

"Unfortunately, due to an again unknown cause there was no communication possible with the server. In the mean time, we have been to Amsterdam and after a short examination have restarted the machine. It seems to be working again...

Of course we will keep an eye on the servers."

the review has been removed,probably due to the NDA reasons?

people @ RAGE3D was lucky to grab some socres for us:
Short summary:
Core: 412 Mhz
Mem: 256MB @ 730 Mhz

It uses DDR and not DDR2. It's very quiet and makes less noise than the 9800Pro. New feature is dynamic overclocking. The colder the card the higher the speed. Normal temp should be around 55 degrees Celsius, but this is never reached, so the card will adjust the speeds of the core and fan.

Performancehit when AA and AF are enabled are a lot smaller compared to previous cards.

Benchmarks:
3DMark2k3: 6505
3DMark2k1: 19027

Overclocking gets this card to 470Mhz core and 750Mhz mem. 3DMark2k3 score goes up 6988 when using the overclock.

there're also 2 pics here:
at1-b.jpg

at2-b.jpg

The review makes the assumption that only using the lowest Dynamic clocking mode is the typical setting. Using the optimal setting increases 3Dmark03 to 6988 which will offer a great performance boost for games like HL2! (Of course I'm basing this on a translation where it seems to imply that they have the Dynamic Clocking working).

Video Cards
Help Me Choose

New 128MB GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card with TV-Out [subtract $115]

New 128MB DDR ATI RADEON? 9800 Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI

New 128MB DDR ATI RADEON? 9800 Pro Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI [add $180 or $6/month1]

NEW 256MB DDR ATI RADEON? 9800 XT [add $250 or $8/month1]

Dell.com - Dimension XPS, the flagship of desktops...

Anyone think that ATI might be pulling some driver trick (by that I mean alternate driver path) with the RTCW scores like they did with the 9800PRO when it came out?

If so, then hopefully they'll trickle the optimizations down to "lesser" R300 cores. If not, it looks like they either made some slight core modifications or got lower latency memory.

Edit: I meant RTCW, not UT2003.

Does make you wonder how valid the benchtests are eh (assuming it's not a hoax ;) ).
If they are correct but just tested at wrong core that would give the Asus 9800XT a 3Dmark03 score of around 7242

Based on Krona conversion rate the 9800XT is £380.29 / $630.41

Back