SIGGRAPH 2011

Simon F

Tea maker
Veteran
Supporter
I'm assuming there must be one or two from the B3D community attending this year. Is there anything in particular that has been of particular interest to you?

Some of the courses have said presentations will be posted in a few days.

I've found it interesting that there are a number of voxel techniques, though non claiming "unlimited detail". ;)

Something that surprised me is two games said they're using screen space techniques for stereo 3d rendering. I hadn't expected that approach, but they seem to be happy with the quality and really happy with the performance.

Nvidia's realtime ptex was interesting to be because Disney is fully behind ptex for offline rendering. I have no idea if artists will demand this UV less approach for games though.

Simon, is there anything that caught your attention?

SpanishInquisition.png

I'm sure the post-AA one is on everyone's mind. :p

I'd be interested in the following (off the top of my head... I can't recall everything):

http://www.siggraph.org/s2011/content/advances-real-time-rendering-games-part-i-0

http://www.siggraph.org/s2011/content/advances-real-time-rendering-games-part-2-0
I saw the LBP and some of the Crytek talk (there are just too many things running in parallel to see everything). The LBP was interesting in it's use of voxels for computing lighting.

Some of the courses have said presentations will be posted in a few days.

I've found it interesting that there are a number of voxel techniques, though non claiming "unlimited detail". ;)
That was sent up a bit in one of the talks at HPG.

Something that surprised me is two games said they're using screen space techniques for stereo 3d rendering. I hadn't expected that approach, but they seem to be happy with the quality and really happy with the performance.
Cars 2 and Crysis, IIRC. I was surprised that the errors weren't noticeable.
Simon, is there anything that caught your attention?
Ahh,, the stuff that interests me is probably quite dull (sampling, filtering, HOS methods, more compat triangle representations).
I didn't expect that!

Oh BTW there are a few papers on procedural generation of models... including arranging rooms/furniture and auto selection of models.

UPDATE: Of course there was also Marco's OIT paper at HPG.

Oh BTW there are a few papers on procedural generation of models... including arranging rooms/furniture and auto selection of models.

Links or it didn't happen

;)

One of the coolest things I saw was the "trillion fps" camera. Basically, it's fast enough that you can watch light propagate through a scene (2ps "shutter" time). Pretty neat but I don't imagine too many practical uses.

One of the coolest things I saw was the "trillion fps" camera. Basically, it's fast enough that you can watch light propagate through a scene (2ps "shutter" time). Pretty neat but I don't imagine too many practical uses.

I remembered reading somewhere that this "trillion fps" camera can be used to calculate how much time light travels across the scene, so in theory it can be used to look around corners. If that can be done reliably I think there will be some practical uses.

One large field of application for this thing would be observing certain chemical reactions in "real-time".

One large field of application for this thing would be observing certain chemical reactions in "real-time".
At the poster session that camera was combined with a system that allowed you to see around corners.... using diffuse reflection! :oops:

[Update]I also noticed the program didn't have a B3DBOF.

Back