Process Explorer 15 now supports GPU

Which GPU did they use? Could build some sort of list of how many "engines" it reports for different GPUs

HD6870 shows 4 "engines"

edit:
Would also be nice to know which is which part of GPU
Based on the media player test I did, Engine 2 could be UVD on HD6870, Engine 0 apparently is the shadercore?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's impressive to see all the 48 GPU engine graphs on a 8 GPU system consisting of three Nvidia and one ATI dual-GPU cards :cool:

There's obviously room for improvement though, because I can't even directly see which engine belongs to which GPU. While Russinovich is saying the GPU driver is responsible for the engine enumeration, the graphs should at least be grouped by GPU.

In my case the two Cypress GPU's of the HD 5970 seem to have 3 engines each and the six Fermi GPU's of the three GTX 590's have 7 engines each. So the one the demo could be a Fermi GPU.

my 6950 has 6 engines according to process explorer. where are they getting this term engines from
according to amd my card has 24 simd engines and thats the only time they mention the term ?

Apparently it something only the driver writers know. There is no standard definition of what make up the 'engine' as reported by the driver apparently. According to the video Engine 0 should be the 3d engine. The others are things like video acceleration and... I have no idea what else

my little theory
my card has 24 stream processing units and its vilw4 24/4=6 aka 6 engines
so an engine is a group of 4 stream processors (whatever the term is for that)
on a 5850 an engine would be 5 stream processors (cos its vilw5)
we just need someone with a 5000 series card to run the program and see if engines = stream processors /5

my little theory
my card has 24 stream processing units and its vilw4 24/4=6 aka 6 engines
so an engine is a group of 4 stream processors (whatever the term is for that)
on a 5850 an engine would be 5 stream processors (cos its vilw5)
we just need someone with a 5000 series card to run the program and see if engines = stream processors /5

Nope, it's not, try some games and you'll notice how they only seem to stress Engine 0 (though I got just a little bit of activity in Engine 1 too I think). Engine 2 is UVD on Barts.
Also, 6870 = 4 engines, while with your theory it should be 2.8 engines (14 VLIW5 stream processing units, so 14/5 = 2.8

Back