What are you playing now? (console edition) [2011 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished The Evil Within a few days ago which was amazing and two days now I'm playing Bayonetta 2 which is digital crack...I already played 10 hours and I'm not even halfway through the game, time goes by like nothing.

BTW Bayonetta 2 graphics wise looks to me like an evolution of Ninja Gaiden II's engine if that makes any sense, Chapter 4 on Bayo 2 reminded me a lot of Ninja Gaiden II's Chapter 6 (Volf's castle) and I love that. :p

Beat Dark Souls. Great game.

Moved on to finish Red Dead Redemption. I didn't particularly like it. I thought the controls were clunky and the random events got tiresome. I got to the section where you do the farm missions, got bored, and watched the ending on YouTube. I think that wraps up the games I wanted to finish off.

Am I the only one who thinks open world games all feel like the same five things over and over with different backdrops?

Started to play Lords of the Fallen (PS4). I like it quite a bit, even though it continues the unfortunate trend of throwing borderline unfinished code at the player in order to make that all-important release date. In The Evil Within's case, the problems pretty much ended at performance issues, (in typical Japanese fashion, the Evil Within is very stable and quite polished otherwise). That's something I can't say for LotF unfortunately. At one point, both the music and the voice acting cut out entirely and didn't come back again until I'd restarted the game. Supposedly the game's prone to crashing as well, but I've not encountered that particular issue myself so far. And despite the massive day one patch, it's still screen tearing city. I almost forgot my disdain for that particular visual blemish.

That said, it is a good game. Combat feels great, and unlike in Dark Souls 2, LotF doesn't ramp up the difficulty by throwing you into situations the combat system is ill-equipped to handle (like massive enemy mobs). The level design is praise-worthy as well. In good old Dark Souls 1 or Metroid fashion, areas are twisty, full of short cuts, and tend to loop back on themselves in a satisfying manner. The game also does a few things which are entirely its own thing. The melee combat is pretty much lifted from the Souls games verbatim (even the controls are a perfect match), but you also get a magic gauntlet that acts like a projectile weapon with different modes of fire (grenade launcher,shotgun,homing missile) to help you on your journey. It's satisfying to use and the game seems like it was built around using it alongside your trusty sword-and-shields combo. Using and abusing cookie cutter builds like in the Souls games doesn't seem to be LotF's thing. There's also a limited number of class specific spells you can level up individually, but I suspect I haven't quite reached a point in the game where they've become essential.

The game is quite handsome too. Handsome in a medium-budget-pc-exclusive game kind of way. Everything's shiny, dramatically lit (the stock-photoshop-filter looking lense flare calls entirely too much attention to itself) and particle effects are everywhere, but you can tell it was created on a much tighter budget than - let's say - a game like Dragon Age. Screw the bigger picture, we've got to parallax map the shit out of these floor tiles. And would you look at all those physics! Shadow Warrior immediately springs to mind. Character models and animations do look quite good, though, and I also don't really get the bitching and moaning about the art style. Yes, it's all a bit more muscular, a bit more chunky, and a bit more colorful than a Souls game, but when people are calling it Gears or Darksiders of the Fallen, I really have no idea why that is. There are no overtly extravagant spike-laden shoulder pads in LotF, and plate armor very much does look like plate armor.

It's a fine game for people who like the idea of skill based and very deliberate melee combat in an action rpg, but are rather turned off by the punishing and near impenetrable mechanics of the Souls series. You also don't need a Wiki to make sense of the plot and the lore in LotF. Voice acting is quite good, by the way, and I like that the game keeps the non-action interludes short, to the point and entirely skippable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started to play Lords of the Fallen (PS4). I like it quite a bit, even though it continues the unfortunate trend of throwing borderline unfinished code at the player in order to make that all-important release date. In The Evil Within's case, the problems pretty much ended at performance issues, (in typical Japanese fashion, the Evil Within is very stable and quite polished otherwise). That's something I can't say for LotF unfortunately. At one point, both the music and the voice acting cut out entirely and didn't come back again until I'd restarted the game. Supposedly the game's prone to crashing as well, but I've not encountered that particular issue myself so far. And despite the massive day one patch, it's still screen tearing city. I almost forgot my disdain for that particular visual blemish.

That said, it is a good game. Combat feels great, and unlike in Dark Souls 2, LotF doesn't ramp up the difficulty by throwing you into situations the combat system is ill-equipped to handle (like massive enemy mobs). The level design is praise-worthy as well. In good old Dark Souls 1 or Metroid fashion, areas are twisty, full of short cuts, and tend to loop back on themselves in a satisfying manner. The game also does a few things which are entirely its own thing. The melee combat is pretty much lifted from the Souls games verbatim (even the controls are a perfect match), but you also get a magic gauntlet that acts like a projectile weapon with different modes of fire (grenade launcher,shotgun,homing missile) to help you on your journey. It's satisfying to use and the game seems like it was built around using it alongside your trusty sword-and-shields combo. Using and abusing cookie cutter builds like in the Souls games doesn't seem to be LotF's thing. There's also a limited number of class specific spells you can level up individually, but I suspect I haven't quite reached a point in the game where they've become essential.

The game is quite handsome too. Handsome in a medium-budget-pc-exclusive game kind of way. Everything's shiny, dramatically lit (the stock-photoshop-filter looking lense flare calls entirely too much attention to itself) and particle effects are everywhere, but you can tell it was created on a much tighter budget than - let's say - a game like Dragon Age. Screw the bigger picture, we've got to parallax map the shit out of these floor tiles. And would you look at all those physics! Shadow Warrior immediately springs to mind. Character models and animations do look quite good, though, and I also don't really get the bitching and moaning about the art style. Yes, it's all a bit more muscular, a bit more chunky, and a bit more colorful than a Souls game, but when people are calling it Gears or Darksiders of the Fallen, I really have no idea why that is. There are no overtly extravagant spike-laden shoulder pads in LotF, and plate armor very much does look like plate armor.

It's a fine game for people who like the idea of skill based and very deliberate melee combat in an action rpg, but are rather turned off by the punishing and near impenetrable mechanics of the Souls series. You also don't need a Wiki to make sense of the plot and the lore in LotF. Voice acting is quite good, by the way, and I like that the game keeps the non-action interludes short, to the point and entirely skippable.

Thanks Sigfried1977. I appreciate you sharing your experience here, and I think you've almost sold me on the game.

I was a little worried about the technical issues you mentioned though? Do they occur often, as they do sound particularly jarring

Thanks Sigfried1977. I appreciate you sharing your experience here, and I think you've almost sold me on the game.

I was a little worried about the technical issues you mentioned though? Do they occur often, as they do sound particularly jarring

Not often. The sound issue occured once rather early on, and last night the game finally crashed on me after about 8 hours worth of total playtime. Unfortunate for sure, but so far it's certainly not something I'd call game breaking. That's on the PS4, though. My colleagues have had a lot more significant issues with the PC version of the game. Game runs beautifully on one machine,yet it runs like utter shite on another that is basically identical (our sponsored review PCs are all the same). Both are struggling with constant crashes. Seems like a bit of a gamble.

Also have to revise my "medium-budget-pc-exclusive-visuals" comment a little. I just entered the second big area and the vista I was greeted with was nothing if not utterly delightful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not often. The sound issue occured once rather early on, and last night the game finally crashed on me after about 8 hours worth of total playtime. Unfortunate for sure, but so far it's certainly not something I'd call game breaking. That's on the PS4, though. My colleagues have had a lot more significant issues with the PC version of the game. Game runs beautifully on one machine,yet it runs like utter shite on another that is basically identical (our sponsored review PCs are all the same). Both are struggling with constant crashes. Seems like a bit of a gamble.

Also have to revise my "medium-budget-pc-exclusive-visuals" comment a little. I just entered the second big area and the vista I was greeted with was nothing if not utterly delightful.

Sh!t... you just cost the price of thise game. Was hoping you'd talk me out of it.

But with that last line i can't resist now :devilish:

I played Singstar again tonight, came out this week. I could download a bunch of my previous purchases. The accuracy seems improved and it is all very slick. Also I like the way the difficulty is converged into one setting and the App for using your phone as mic works well - I could even use my high-end microphone that I got for GarageBand.

Still playing Metro Redux. Beat both of the games at least 5 times each, but I am still having a blast.
Also playing Sunset Overdrive despite the the tone of the game I find it to be the least annoying open world game ever. I never feel like a mission is tedious like I do in other mission based open worlders.
I just got Outlast as well. I have only put in about an hour of play time in.

My bloodshot eyes, shabby appearance and surly demeanour at work this morning are evidence of staying up for the Sunset Overdrive unlock last night. Had to sleep after the first night defense mission gave me somewhat of a spanking. Very much looking forward to getting my rosy cheeks back to Sunset City tonight!

Also picked up the South Park Pinball FX tables. As usual they are quite, quite brilliant. Butters' table is my favourite out of the two, and one of my favourites tables overall so far.

Loo-loo-loo!

Love the South Park tables as well. I prefer the titular one, though. I think it's one of the best tables Zen has created so far. It's complex, yet it's not quite as bewildering as some of their other tables. Always happy when they get licensed music and VOs too because that's an aspect at which Zen is usually god-awful.
The only thing that's missing is the swearing really. SP without f-bombs feels weird.

I found some time to play TLoU on PS4. Had to go to office to play coz that's where my PS4 is.

Spent even more time to "3 star'ed" Kingdom Rush Frontier, just because I could play in be, at home.
It's one of the only 3 games I played last year. The other two being Resogun and 2048.
I couldn't buy Evolution's car game when I tried. 8^/

I think I might play even fewer games in 2015 -- unless Sony release the VR goggle, or Gaikai on other platforms.

Ordered DJI Inspire One (drone + 4K video) to experiment with kid. Should arrive in about 2-3 weeks.

I realized the other day I have been on B3D for almost a decade ! (Check my registration date).

I came here soon after my son's born.
I came here to see what kids do these days, and how I should bring my own up. B3D seemed like a good counter-balance for neogaf at that time.

I taught my son how to program over the past year. He's been making 2D games (for real). Probably 3D games later when I find time. He already knows matrix transformation.

In these almost ten years, I also taught him how to read on the net properly, and how to spot trolling, astroturfing, etc.

So when it is time for him to join B3D, I hope he doesn't become one of them. :p

Happy new year !

Playing too many titles right now!
Lords of the Fallen, Destiny, The Evil Within, D4, Sunset Overdrive, Halo MCC, Halo 5 beta, Far Cry 4, Resident Evil 4 HD, Crimson Dragon.

Did you buy the DJI Inspire One to use as a toy? o_O

... as a platform for drone experiments. It has replaceable gimbal and camera.
Also easy and versatile to navigate (indoor and outdoor).

DJI released an SDK for the Phantom line. Hopefully they will also release an SDK for Inspire.

@patsu
omg have it arrived? record some stufff :D

EDIT:
it only have 18 minutes of flight time. Does that give enough times to get nice framing for amateur photo/videographer?

and what happened when 18 minutes is up? does it automatically fly-back where it take-off?

Last edited:
... as a platform for drone experiments. It has replaceable gimbal and camera.
Also easy and versatile to navigate (indoor and outdoor).

DJI released an SDK for the Phantom line. Hopefully they will also release an SDK for Inspire.

I know, I am simply jealous :p

Congratulations on the purchase.

I found some time to play TLoU on PS4. Had to go to office to play coz that's where my PS4 is.

Spent even more time to "3 star'ed" Kingdom Rush Frontier, just because I could play in be, at home.
It's one of the only 3 games I played last year. The other two being Resogun and 2048.
I couldn't buy Evolution's car game when I tried. 8^/

I think I might play even fewer games in 2015 -- unless Sony release the VR goggle, or Gaikai on other platforms.

Ordered DJI Inspire One (drone + 4K video) to experiment with kid. Should arrive in about 2-3 weeks.

I realized the other day I have been on B3D for almost a decade ! (Check my registration date).

I came here soon after my son's born.
I came here to see what kids do these days, and how I should bring my own up. B3D seemed like a good counter-balance for neogaf at that time.

I taught my son how to program over the past year. He's been making 2D games (for real). Probably 3D games later when I find time. He already knows matrix transformation.

In these almost ten years, I also taught him how to read on the net properly, and how to spot trolling, astroturfing, etc.

So when it is time for him to join B3D, I hope he doesn't become one of them. :p

Happy new year !

Hey fellow dad! I also bought a cool drone for my kid.. a Syma 5XC, around 50 dollars.. also what! isn't that a pretty expensive kit :) How old is your kid.. would you like to be my sugar daddy? :)

Still playing Diablo 3 with my GF: we reached lvl 70 in tornament 1 difficulty, playing through the DLC chapter.

But I do wonder how to improve stats from now on...weapons don't really seem to get any better now?!?

How is it possible to play tornament 6? With paragon lvl 500 or what?

Nevertheless, my Witch Doctor is super cool to play...fetish psycos combined with rain of toads is king :)

Btw, best couch coop game imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back