What are you playing now? (console edition) [2011 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Resident Evil 5 stinks.

I'm currently on chapter 3:? and the awfulness of the controls is getting to me even more than in RE4. The ultra restricted movement feels even more stupid when you're using twin analogue sticks. Having to fight a chainsaw man on a small platform where you can't move sideways or backwards faster than a slow shuffle isn't fun or exciting, it's just unpleasantly awkward. Super athletic Chris basically can't move, but in the quick-times (urgh) he can flip around and fight like like a turbocharged Jackie Chan. [This isn't a cutscene it's a quicktime cutscene hahaha your dead continu.]

The maps / rooms / areas all seem smaller than RE4 too, like they've tried to really really compact the game so they can turn detail up. It just looks ... well, stupid. A room sized oil refinery with tiny staircases and ladders, 2 meter walkways, multiple zip lines and a double front door that immediately leads to a ... ladder. Old school in a very bad way, mixed with a photorealistic art style. And a really narrow FOV so you could get ambushed by anything not directly lined up with your nose.

And the story is bad too. Not so bad it's good, just bad. The same story from every RE game, but this time without the B movie vibe. Characters introduced so they can immediately be wiped out (not even in an entertaining way), special forces who exist only to be killed in cutscenes, or to kick ass briefly then get wiped out.

I really wish I hadn't bought this, because now I feel like I ought to finish it.

P.S. Using menus in the middle of a realtime fight is not cool Capcom.

P.P.S. Managing an AI character is not cool Capcom.

Resident Evil 5 stinks.

I'm currently on chapter 3:? and the awfulness of the controls is getting to me even more than in RE4. The ultra restricted movement feels even more stupid when you're using twin analogue sticks. Having to fight a chainsaw man on a small platform where you can't move sideways or backwards faster than a slow shuffle isn't fun or exciting, it's just unpleasantly awkward. Super athletic Chris basically can't move, but in the quick-times (urgh) he can flip around and fight like like a turbocharged Jackie Chan. [This isn't a cutscene it's a quicktime cutscene hahaha your dead continu.]

The maps / rooms / areas all seem smaller than RE4 too, like they've tried to really really compact the game so they can turn detail up. It just looks ... well, stupid. A room sized oil refinery with tiny staircases and ladders, 2 meter walkways, multiple zip lines and a double front door that immediately leads to a ... ladder. Old school in a very bad way, mixed with a photorealistic art style. And a really narrow FOV so you could get ambushed by anything not directly lined up with your nose.

And the story is bad too. Not so bad it's good, just bad. The same story from every RE game, but this time without the B movie vibe. Characters introduced so they can immediately be wiped out (not even in an entertaining way), special forces who exist only to be killed in cutscenes, or to kick ass briefly then get wiped out.

I really wish I hadn't bought this, because now I feel like I ought to finish it.

P.S. Using menus in the middle of a realtime fight is not cool Capcom.

P.P.S. Managing an AI character is not cool Capcom.

It does get better, but everything you say is pretty much true.

The QTEs are rubbish. Here's a cut-scene, "PRESS X TO LIVE!", nope you're dead. Should've realised that it wasn't really a cut-scene.

Inventory management is a chore, even more so due to it being in realtime.

You can't buy ammo (PITA), so end up having to upgrade the capacity of weapons to 'cheat' it into giving you more ammo.

And I just keep on wanting to move whilst aiming. I mean, I kinda got used to it, but it just feels stupid not to be able to move and fire at the same time.

There's a few decents boss-fights, but one of them is idiotic. Basically all you have to do is
Run around for 7 minutes hiding from Wesker

RE5 is just a bot match. Its nothing compared to RE4. There's no sense of horror , suspense or threat to survival. Is one bot match adfter the next. The game sucks playing solo. Bot matches get fun in co-op, but then I played solo.

There's a few decents boss-fights, but one of them is idiotic. Basically all you have to do is
Run around for 7 minutes hiding from Wesker

I clicked the spoiler.

Oh wow.

I'm still laughing.

Now I must continue playing. :???:

RE5 is just a bot match. Its nothing compared to RE4. There's no sense of horror , suspense or threat to survival. Is one bot match adfter the next. The game sucks playing solo. Bot matches get fun in co-op, but then I played solo.

The guy that made RE4 left didn't he? It's like they don't know what they're doing with RE5.

"What are ya sellin??"
Probably Resident Evil 5.

I just got done playing through Crysis 2, which I ended up enjoying a lot. Wish I would've played it first before Deus Ex. I just started up LA Noire and in between been crushing Forza.

I clicked the spoiler.

Oh wow.

I'm still laughing.

Now I must continue playing. :???:

And I'm not joking either. He evens tells you beforehand how long he's willing to hang around for.
The only problem is how to stop your stupid partner from getting killed, but there's a fairly obvious solution to that.

Playing BF3, Uncharted, and some Forza when I have free time.

Would love to play more Gears 3, Al I see you on all the time, you guys have a free slot? :p

The guy that made RE4 left didn't he? It's like they don't know what they're doing with RE5.

"What are ya sellin??"
Probably Resident Evil 5.

Yes,Mikami wasn't involved in RE5, instead he made the immensely fun Vanquish :cool: ! They lost the soul of the game in RE5, it was just a shooting festival.

Infamous 2 : Festival of Blood and Uncharted 3. Love them both, and after playing 4-5 chapers of Uncharted 3, I think I'll be going back to FoB tonight. Higher praise couldn't be given to that little standalone gem, imho.

Just bought Tomb Raider GoL...very good game and the graphics are sweet. I was surprised the new Diablo-like perspective worked so well with this franchise...very nicely done. I've only been playing it in SP but will try coop when I get a chance. After playing the demo I immediately unlocked it...couldn't resist.

I'm 120+ hours into KoA and have Dragons Dogma lined up next. Still got a little bit to finish off in Skyrim but that's more or less done now. Finished CoD 3 in one sitting a couple of weeks ago. The memory card on my Vita stopped working so I lost all my save games... I guess that means I will be playing Uncharted, Resistance, and Stardust for a while in the near future.

I'm also nearing the end of Shadowgun THD and have just started on Dead Trigger. Both Dead Space and Mass Effect Infiltrator are also on my hit list.

Who needs sleep! It's just a dry run for being dead anyway! Or as Mr Poe once said "Sleep, sleep. Those little slices of death, how I loath them".

@Sigfried1977 - Shame on you! Vanquish is just about the best fusion of Western violence and Eastern elegance that has been produced in this gen of games :LOL:

I'm playing:

1. Battlefield: BC2. I did not try a BF game for a long time because (a) the demo of BC1 was pretty bad (it's gone from the PSN store, I guess EA realized it was hurting the series), and (b) it had no local multiplayer, and if you don't like the online mode of a modern FPS, you just dropped $60 for a 5-hour game. But a friend spoke very highly of the campaign, and it's $20 on PSN, so I took the risk...and holy crap, it's amazing! Love it!

2. Borderlands. Got into it again. What a wonderful game.

3. Burnout 3. I missed this one because when EA bought Criterion, they canceled the GC version of the series because it competed directly with NFS (that's not what they said, but I'm not an idiot). I picked it up because my wife likes to play racing games with me (pro tip, bros, if you marry a nice lady who doesn't game, try to find a video game she will play with you)...and holy crap, it's amazing! Love it!

4. Medal of Honor 2010. Great campaign, sort of like the first half of Modern Warfare before the series gets all Michael Bay. Online has like no players now, although the Tier 1 mode is a neat idea. I would have bought this new if it had included some kind of local co-op, but EA wants me to keep COD as my main series for some reason.

5. Halo 1. Legendary is so hard! AI is so good! First game is so fun!

OK let's see.

Dark Souls - Currently at NG+ (175hrs) and yesterday I did some sunbro co-op at New Londo Ruins and Anor Londo...had a great time helping people with the bosses, Praise The Sun!
Deadlight - Finished the second chapter two days ago and I am really enjoying it thus far..very good graphics, excellent sound quality and great atmosphere all around -for anyone interested it's more like Limbo than Shadow Complex.
Trials Evolution - Addicted to this game again the last few days, trying to get some achievements and improve my easy/medium times.
Spelunky - Opened the Jungle shortcut and all I have to say is that the first area when compared to the Jungle is a cakewalk, a really brutal game in terms of challenge but an awesome and addicting one at the same time.

I'm considering to start The Witcher 2 or Catherine before Darksiders 2 comes out but Dark Souls is taking most of my gaming time. :p

@Sigfried1977 - Shame on you! Vanquish is just about the best fusion of Western violence and Eastern elegance that has been produced in this gen of games :LOL:

Maybe. I simply didn't like how the game was basically punishing me for using most of its defining features. Sure, you could hop, slide and vault around like the Easter Bunny on crack, but since every little move drained your energy and ultimately rendered you defenseless (while making you look like a complete idiot), I found it much easier to just sit behind cover and play the game that way. Boring, but effective.
Read Jim Sterling's review on Destructoid. He basically had the exact same issues with the game that I had.
Besides all that I couldn't stand the characters, hated the story and thought the visuals were muddy and boring. The weapon upgrade system was complete pants as well.

Not really playing much these days, but lately I've been playing:

BF3: One of the few CMP games I'll play with friends
Heavy Rain: Loving it so far, but when I play I want to give it time and not just sit for a short 15 minute spurt. Only problem is I haven't had huge chunks of time to play.
FEAR: Trying to finally beat this so I can remove it from my backlog.
Dark Souls: Will throw this in every once in a while to try and catch up where I was before I lost my save.

Would also love to play some ME3 MP if anyone is down for that. Haven't played since the latest DLC was released.

Playing Foosball 2012 on PS3 with Move. Fantastic! Also tried Deus Ex: HR, but even in 'story mode' I'm finding it hard to get into. I will probably try a bit more (got it for free on PS Plus) Also still playing Vita, currently some more Virtua Tennis 4 (barely started), Pinball Arcade and still the occasional Trials of Montezuma ...

Good that you mention Heavy Rain, still need to get into that, Only just got to the rain part I think. ;)

Kagemaru I'm up for some ME3 MP. I've been playing that recently (finally). Absolutely loving it!

I'm so happy with what they did about the weapons/armour/item systems, as well as the replacement for planet scanning (thank God!!!!). Wish they'd have brought back the plant exploration from the first game though, but I guess the odd side-mission on an alien world is just as good.

I want to take my time with the SP so that I can catch all the SP DLC before i finish the game. Same reason I put Skyrim to the side :D

Kagemaru, are you playing MP on PS3 or Xbox 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back