Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
1080p/60 can be achieved by anything that supports the resolution, depending on complexity of the scene. Ever play Fzero X? ;) They simply make graphics decisions with a higher frame rate target.

All of the 60FPS games that look on-par with current gen 30FPS games are starting to confuse me... Maybe the GPU really is 20-30% more powerful than current-gen after all? Or are they just using a lot of tricks to make up for it being 20-30% weaker than current-gen?

Personally I have no doubts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0HwlIs_I74&list=PLbyMQ6NJrOybgWlQp6vcqqjQAiZMyCYf_

Anyway even if it is the same raw power it should be much more efficient and with much less bottlenecks, the amounts of L2/edram/ram alone should do it small miracles even if does not give it any single extra gigaflop.

All of the 60FPS games that look on-par with current gen 30FPS games are starting to confuse me... Maybe the GPU really is 20-30% more powerful than current-gen after all? Or are they just using a lot of tricks to make up for it being 20-30% weaker than current-gen? Also, if SSB4 really is 1080p/60FPS (1080p was hinted at, all SSB games thus far have been 60FPS), what does that say?
Yeah, I think the E3 footage blows the two thirds as many SP's on the GPU theory out of the water now.

On 360, it tried to be. PS3 not so much. But still playable, albeit jarring at times. Still a good game, even on PS3.

That's interesting, especially since the game looks as good as or better than the original, and with great IQ to boot. I'm expecting an expert here to explain why it's still clearly weaker, though. But this is important; is this turns out to prove that it actually is a slightly more capable console, I may be willing to buy it after only a $50 price cut, rather than a $100 one.

Hard to see much of any genuine detail in these fast action games, the video's so heavily compressed that the bitrate just isn't enough to cope with all the action, the imagery just breaks up into sub-blocks all the time. Also, being encoded into a different framerate than the on-screen action means you can't judge game framerate, and perhaps more importantly, fluidity. Does the game sag at points? No idea.

A hands-on, written text account would be more revealing than these streaming videos, IMO...

On Xbox 360, Bayoneta was 60fps for gameplay, and some cut-scenes were 30fps.

EDIT:

.. que só abrandam quando chegámos ao final de uma batalha de grandes dimensões...

Translation by goole:
"that only slow down when we reached the end of a large battle "

Slowdown?

EDIT:

Translation by goole:
"that only slow down when we reached the end of a large battle "

Slowdown?

He means that the fighting only slowdown after the big battle, never before, a all total action game from the beginning to the end of the level (the plane level).

About gfx he only say constant 60 FPS, great fx overall IIRC and something about the detail of bayoneta (he seems to enjoy it :LOL:).

So do we have any sort of consensus on how many shaders this thing has?
160? 240? 320?

Even 160 shaders would compare favourably to Xenos given the architecture improvements over the years.

So do we have any sort of consensus on how many shaders this thing has?
160? 240? 320?

Even 160 shaders would compare favourably to Xenos given the architecture improvements over the years.

The consensus has been 160 ever since someone suggested the possibility.

Welp, looks like this says nothing about the Wii U then. Back the square one.

Would never say much given that one is multi-platform and the other is a exclusive.

But in one of the first videos they said that they bumped the character models from 70.000 to 130.000, still I think that only a good comparison of multiplatforms or exclusives can tell the true story...

The consensus has been 160 ever since someone suggested the possibility.

There hasn't been a concensus yet. The 160 SP theory doesn't match with the size of the SIMD blocks from what I gather.

Nothing matches the size of the SIMD blocks, probably because you can't compare a 40 nm PC GPUs to Nintendo's processor (which may use a different process, a different fab, different layout tools, or potentially all of the above).

Both the appearance of the chip and the performance it offers both make 320 sharers extremely unlikely, where as 160 fits very well.

Well, the discussion didn't reach a consensus then. Unless someone in the industry decides to leak more information it will stay that way for the time being.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back